Ughh

Options
Hello, this is my first time posting, but I've been using this website for almost a year. During that time, I've lost about 40 lbs by eating well and exercising. The problem is, I need/want to lose about 10 more and the scale will not budge. I've been trying to lose the last bit of weight for about 4 months and nothing. I eat well (around 1400 cals) during the week. I tend to eat a bit more on the weekends, but only over by about 400-500 calories. It never fails, by Monday morning I am up 5 lbs and then it takes all week to get that off. I run 3 times a week and do strong lifts 2-3 times per week. Btw, I'm 5'5" and 142, so I could stand to lose a few more. I'm just so frustrated. Any advice?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on shedding 40 pounds! How long have you been plateaued? I have been for months but I'm still noticing changes (good changes) on how my body feels and looks.
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water and limiting sodium on most days? I know that my cheat day means I'm taking in a bit more sodium than I should so I retain water and the number on the scale goes up the next day. Also, are you taking measurements in addition to weighing yourself? Weight is a very rudimentary way of tracking fitness. You might have developed muscle weight also. A tape measure will give you a better idea about changes.

There's also the chance that you need to change up your workout intensity. How long have you been running 3 times a week? Is it the same distance and heart rate each time? If it is, maybe you need a new cardio routine.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I won't pretend to know much but maybe you're not eating enough. You seem to be working out enough so maybe your body is storing fat instead wondering where its next batch of fuel is coming instead of burning it. Congrats on the first 40 and good luck on the last 10
  • bruce_hunt
    bruce_hunt Posts: 2
    Options
    Good job on the weight loss! You are probably stuck at that weight with that calorie intake and consistent exercise regimen. It sounds easier than it is, but changing your exercise regimen is probably the simple thing to do. Try to focus on intense bursts of activity in weight bearing exercises that you don't normally do (a proven burner). Combining exercises normally done as single motions with significantly lighter weights - squats and shoulder press for example - can be very effective, just think "explosive" when you move. Not knowing your conditioning level or possible injuries or weak spots (mine is the left shoulder) you may have, proceed with caution. If you want some ideas for training explosively, check out the guys who train for mixed martial arts fights. The lighter and middle weights are some seriously lean and fit people. Good Luck!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Scoobyworkshop thinks you should be eating over 1700 cals a day, to lose .3kg a week at a 15% calorie reduction.

I guess I would add up those weekend calories, and see if your entire weeks' calories comes in at over 12000 cals.

Otherwise I would say this:

Your body can fluctuate 5lb of water. You don't always know what stage in your water retention cycle you are at, so weighing yourself weekly isn't reliable.

You can lose fat, gain water, and have no idea. If you are eating a certain number of calories and doing a certain amount of exercise then unless you are able to defy the first law of thermodynamics, you are reducing your body fat. trust the system. :)
  • kahlilla
    kahlilla Posts: 2
    Options
    It sounds like your body metabolism has slowed, maybe as Bridgie says, 1400 cals is insufficient.
    My question is this: do you still have body fat that you need to remove? Rigorous exercise produces muscle, hopefully replacing the fat you are losing, wt for wt. However, if you heart is elevated excessively during exercise, chances are you are not burning fat, rather using muscle tissue. Try some starvation exercise: ie run or exercise in the morning before eating, keeping the heart rate below125/130 bpm. Consume lots of water, keep a healthy attitude. Well done, you'll get there.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i'm at my last 6kg and I swear you could of been writing this letter about me..

If i was you... I would go to the gym or doctor and have your fat index done... to see if you are losing fat and gaining muscle..

I checked two weeks ago.. my fat index was 21% and this friday while I weighted actually .6kg more... my index was down -1% to 20%
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Have you entered your new weight into MFP? You need to if you want to get the correct calculations. Certainly every 5 pounds.

I also stall if my carbs for the week get over 50%, even if I'm in my calories.

Finally, yes, as you get closer, it gets slower. Keep at it. And congratulations!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you, but when I was 10 lbs from my goal it was also around Christmas and most of my kids and my own birthdays. I gave myself permission to eat at my maintenance calories for those two "Party Weeks" and when I went back to my 1550/day after my birthday, I dropped 5 lbs the first week. I am not sure why that was my body's response, but it may be worth a try since you have been stalled for a while. Good luck!!
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body metabolism has slowed, maybe as Bridgie says, 1400 cals is insufficient.
    My question is this: do you still have body fat that you need to remove? Rigorous exercise produces muscle, hopefully replacing the fat you are losing, wt for wt. However, if you heart is elevated excessively during exercise, chances are you are not burning fat, rather using muscle tissue. Try some starvation exercise: ie run or exercise in the morning before eating, keeping the heart rate below125/130 bpm. Consume lots of water, keep a healthy attitude. Well done, you'll get there.

Ah, no. Rigorous exercise does not produce muscle. Strength training helps to build muscle. As for heart rate, that is utterly wrong. The more your heart rate is up, the more calories you burn.
  • kahlilla
    kahlilla Posts: 2
    Options
    Hmm mactaffy84, you've missed the point, and my definition of rigorous fits with yours! Of course the higher the heart rate the calories burned, but the issue is where are these calories coming from??? High heart rates tend to burn muscle, not fat, given it is easier to breakdown and the body is asking for calories in a hurry. More work, slower heart rate, more fat burned. Cheers.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and start logging your cheat days.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered and experienced, the less weight that you have to lose, the longer it will take to come off.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hmm mactaffy84, you've missed the point, and my definition of rigorous fits with yours! Of course the higher the heart rate the calories burned, but the issue is where are these calories coming from??? High heart rates tend to burn muscle, not fat, given it is easier to breakdown and the body is asking for calories in a hurry. More work, slower heart rate, more fat burned. Cheers.
    Sorry but muscle being used as fuel is a complete myth for all but people on a totally inadequate diet or extremely excessive exercise (certainly not an issue for the OP's routine). Otherwise all the world's athletes would have the least muscle!

The so called fat burning zone is thoroughly debunked.
    It doesn't matter what heart rate you exercise at - the calorie balance at the end of the day is what is important.

OP - your diary is private. As you are in a plateau the most like explanation is that you are eating at maintenance calories.
    Suggest you revisit your logging accuracy, weigh and measure everything you eat. Be really consistent for a few weeks and see what results you get.
    The other side of the equation is how are you estimating your calorie burns? Assuming you are eating back exercise calories of course.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I will not pretend to be an expert but in my own personal experience, my body will not release weight if I am not taking care of myself in other ways. If I am sleep deprived I cannot lose weight. If I am not drinking enough water I cannot lose weight. If I am not managing my stress levels I cannot lose weight. It does not matter how much run, work out, have perfected my eating habits. I have to set my body up for success.
    Thats all Ive got!
  • kimmitch14
    kimmitch14 Posts: 1
    Options
    You have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Think about it, if your already eating at maintenance, why would you eat more? Try cutting back to 1200 calories, I bet you will lose weight!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is my first time posting, but I've been using this website for almost a year. During that time, I've lost about 40 lbs by eating well and exercising. The problem is, I need/want to lose about 10 more and the scale will not budge. I've been trying to lose the last bit of weight for about 4 months and nothing. I eat well (around 1400 cals) during the week. I tend to eat a bit more on the weekends, but only over by about 400-500 calories. It never fails, by Monday morning I am up 5 lbs and then it takes all week to get that off. I run 3 times a week and do strong lifts 2-3 times per week. Btw, I'm 5'5" and 142, so I could stand to lose a few more. I'm just so frustrated. Any advice?

I just re-read this. Yes, look at your basics (logging, weighing, etc.). Recheck your correct weight is in.

And you're eating badly on weekends! LOG! It's either lots of water 'cause you're eating salt or you're eating way more than you think you are.

You can eat a lot of vegetables for 400 calories or ONE bagel or 1/3 of a piece of a carrot cake or ONE bottle of stout or ONE big glass of whole milk and an apple. This isn't rocket science if you say it happens every weekend.

And again - congratulations! You're close. Finish the long journey.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 40 whoop!

I'm in the same boat as this person:

I will not pretend to be an expert but in my own personal experience, my body will not release weight if I am not taking care of myself in other ways. If I am sleep deprived I cannot lose weight. If I am not drinking enough water I cannot lose weight. If I am not managing my stress levels I cannot lose weight. It does not matter how much run, work out, have perfected my eating habits. I have to set my body up for success.
    Thats all Ive got!

If I don't take care of myself beyond diet everything goes freaking haywire!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Think about it, if your already eating at maintenance, why would you eat more? Try cutting back to 1200 calories, I bet you will lose weight!!

this^^. try keeping track of your cheat days at well.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am at the exact same height and almost same weight(140-141) and have lost 35 pounds as well from my highest. But i know why i am not losing though :( I have slagged right now because i know i am at a healthy comfortable weight and it takes extra dedication and motivation to lose the last few pounds :) Give it all you have got, if you want it badly and it will happen! Count everything you intake, even cheat days and it will make more sense!
    Good luck!