Protein Powder?

Options
I have been experimenting with protein powder as a supplement to increase my protein intake and also sometimes in place of "real" food as a smoothie with yogurt. It's not bad, but it seems awfully expensive. What are some good ones that don't have too many calories and what's enouth grams of protein to look for in a serving? When they say a scoop, is a scoop included in the jar? Or if not, how much is a scoop? I've been just trying things out so so far I've just bought some single serving packages.

I don't want to get chocolate, but I've enjoyed a berry flavor I tried. Also the unflavored isn't too bad in my oatmeal, although I have to add milk because it gets a bit stiff when you add the protein powder.

What should I be paying and looking for?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much protein *you* should be having. From what I've read, *I* should be having about .75 to 1 gr per pound of weight.
    I guess it depends on your personal stats, goals, workout routine etc...

I only use protein powders as addition to my fruit smoothies, not just with water like a lot of people do.

I use protein smoothies because it is hard for me to eat in the morning. So I add frozen fruit and/or avocado (I try a different combination every time) and either milled flax or chia seeds (for essential fatty acids), Amazing Grass Super Foods ( a "greens" powder for energy), vanilla extract for extra flavor, ice and water.

I use Muscle Milk brand. I get a HUGE bag from Costco and the price is reasonable. I buy the vanilla flavor because it is the most versatile as I can add flavors and extracts to it.

I also use Alive (brand) pea protein blend sometimes. I bought it because it has added nutrients. But honestly, I will not repurchase.

I've also heard that the WholeFoods generic brand is pretty good too.

For taste, I've heard Syntha-6 and Syntrax and supposed to be best tasting ones, but I am not able to have them bc of allergies :/
    (Everyone raves about them, though)
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I have just bought the singles so far. I really like the brand About Time. I have actually only made a protein shake once. I have using it to make protein cookies.
  • kltorres0406
    kltorres0406 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Syntha-6. They have a lot of different flavors. My personal favorite is the "peanut butter cookie". I mix it in my shaker bottle with unsweetened vanilla almond milk as a snack or a fast breakfast option. :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I like Met-RX whey
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) is good also.

Usually the scoop is included...
    If not, measure out what a serving is.....they have it listed in grams.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You can also adjust how much you use to get the protein and calories you need.

So if 1 serving is 30 grams.
    And that is 22 gr of protein and 110 calories.

Do 1/2 a serving, 15 grams
    Then you are at 11 gr of protein, and 55 calories.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is definitely a matter of personal taste. For me, I've like Optimum Nutrition and Cellucor (Cinnamon Swirl) the best. I add it to my oatmeal, plain greek yogurt and have lots of recipes that I use it with too. They all come with a scoop but since that's pretty relative, I would go with the grams if you have a scale. Like previously said though, how much you need is a matter of your own goals.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Kaizen Naturals Whey Isolate in Vanilla Ice Cream is my favie. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Scoop included.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I use the Whole Foods Soy Protein Powder. Three ingredients, 110 calories per scoop and 24g of protein. I mix it in a blender cup with pb2 and a tablespoon of Ovaltine. If I remember right $17.99 for the big container (I think about a month or so worth of drinks) and cimes with a scoop
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    thanks - I saw the whole foods brand yesterday. Seems like a good idea and they are a block away. :wink:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with chocolate? I also have peanut butter.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much protein *you* should be having. From what I've read, *I* should be having about .75 to 1 gr per pound of weight.
    I guess it depends on your personal stats, goals, workout routine etc...

I only use protein powders as addition to my fruit smoothies, not just with water like a lot of people do.

I use protein smoothies because it is hard for me to eat in the morning. So I add frozen fruit and/or avocado (I try a different combination every time) and either milled flax or chia seeds (for essential fatty acids), Amazing Grass Super Foods ( a "greens" powder for energy), vanilla extract for extra flavor, ice and water.

I use Muscle Milk brand. I get a HUGE bag from Costco and the price is reasonable. I buy the vanilla flavor because it is the most versatile as I can add flavors and extracts to it.

I also use Alive (brand) pea protein blend sometimes. I bought it because it has added nutrients. But honestly, I will not repurchase.

I've also heard that the WholeFoods generic brand is pretty good too.

For taste, I've heard Syntha-6 and Syntrax and supposed to be best tasting ones, but I am not able to have them bc of allergies :/
    (Everyone raves about them, though)

it's not 1 g of protein per weight. It's 1g of protein per lean body mass... lets say you are 100 lbs, and you have 30% body fat, you only need 70 g of protein to maintain muscle... Anything above that will be excreted in your urine, as protein is unable to be stored. As for low calories high protein shakes, get whey protein gold standard
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet- I switched from the Whey Protein Isolate to the Dual Action Whey and Casein (shorter and logner acting proteins). The French Vanilla and Chocolate are pretty good- even just with water. In my research, it seemed to be one of the more minimally processed powders, so I tried it and liked it.

I can add vanilla to my oatmeal and it is tasty, I mix with almond milk, I drink with water alone, or I use as a base for smoothies.

I usually order from Amazon
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I add the peanut butter protein powder to my homemade granola or just use it as a topping. Also, if you bake, it's very handy. I mostly use it in homemade peanut butter cups too.

For the chocolate protein powder:

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!

Lastly, if you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm
  • gav25091129
    gav25091129 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hiya

The protein works is a good company to go with I get 4 kgs for 51 pound.
  • KellyCPalmer
    Options
    Issues of common sense and science unfortunately not on these sites. His beating your head against a brick wall here man. Especially when you are trying to talk to the illogical logic. These sites weight loss seems to have no intention of actually trying to exercise science and nutrition out there, but simply offering a place for those who really do not want to put in the work to lose fat ***** to come and find sympathy in their desperation to die thin ... but it is a sad famine in inditement humanities laziness and lack of courage to do the "right thing", which is hard work. Just take a look at the diet pill and add programs that are advertised on these sites ... to spread the theory. PE = perpetual failure. Allow people keep failing and stupidly keep coming back for more ...
    http://safercolonreal.com/