NSV for maintaining

Options
acogg
acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
I have been lifting and have seen the scale weight go up, though my clothes are the same. I went from 124.4 to 136. Not nice for the head. Today, I had a pleasant lady that walked in my store and I admired her thin build. I thought in my head that Wow! this gal looks great! I feel too big and want to cut, so I am self-conscious about my body. As soon as the lady left, hubby came bursting out and asked, "Did you see that woman? She looked like a refugee from Auschwitz!" I told hubby that I thought she looked good, and he burst out that no, that is not healthy and that I look very healthy. I seem to be bouncing from the results of the scale and the results of building muscle. Mind games.

Replies

• LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Mind games...

Congrats on lifting and STILL wearing the same clothes!! YAY YOU!!
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Not having seen the woman in question I'd probably agree with your husband. Especially when we have photoshopped magazine covers as references women's visions of what they think their body should look like is often skewed. Horribly. And the fact that designers make clothes that small doesn't help. You're lifting, your clothes still fit, and your hubby obviously likes the way you look. It's probably time to not put so much stock in what the scale says. That's my two cents anyway.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I prefer normal looking people to anorexic photo shopped models any day. Your DH was right!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I need to get past the scale and on to strong! It is hard to do, but my mind is determined.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it. :) Keep lifting if that's what you want to do and best of luck!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The scale can say any number it wants to, what really counts is the measurements and body fat %. :)
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The scale can say any number it wants to, what really counts is the measurements and body fat %. :)

^This plus vibrant health and fitness :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I hope more women read this...
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, the scale can really mess with our heads sometimes! It's so important to remember that it doesn't matter though. How our clothes fit and what we see (like you said) are the best factors to go on - plus BF% if you have a reliable source for measuring it. Glad you were able to get that perspective from your DH!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes, your mind is playing tricks on you! Magazine and catalog models (often photoshopped of course) have messed with many women's perception of an attractive female body. I struggle with this sometimes as well. I'm pretty much at my goal and still I think I could lose 3 pounds-- when I really don't need to at all!

The way your clothes fit is what matters. I imagine you look amazing from lifting! I need to get more motivated to lift!!