Shape asked woman to cover up....

Options
Last night my friend forwarded me this link via text. I read it and then circled back around to it this morning. Honestly, I just realized within the past few months how much photoshopping magazines do and it irritates me to no end - especially fitness magazines. This woman lost 170 pounds and was asked to be featured in Shape magazine. However, the editors asked her to only submit a picture with a shirt on - you will see photos in the article.

http://www.thegloss.com/2014/05/06/beauty/shape-asks-brooke-birmingham-cover-loose-skin/

I lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off. I have a small amount of excess skin that, when I get down another 5 or so pounds, I have no problem with. Like the woman in the article, I have struggled and fought and won my own battle with my weight. Like her, I am not ashamed of what I was but proud of what I was able to accomplish.

This just pisses me off a lot. Like saying that 170 pound loss is only good enough if you have the "perfect" after body. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday. I'm glad she refused to put on a shirt for them.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I second that. I'm actually really pissed at the magazine - granted it doesn't take much for me to get upset over stuff that doesn't directly affect me lol

Love the shirt, BTW!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I love that by refusing to cover up, she's getting exactly the exposure she desired. I would imagine that far more people have now seen that picture than the number that would have seen it in Shape. She stayed true to herself, and still got the job done.
  • cuinboston2014
    Options
    Yes! Exactly! Except now her story is coming out as she wants - no edits, etc and getting people to her blog. Im sure it would be awesome to be featured in a magazine, but this is almost a better look
  • martinytime
    martinytime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good for her! Her success should be commended not covered up!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think the picture was appropriate. Most other before and after feature this sort of clothing. Showing realistic results is important for anyone wanting to lose that amount of weight. Unattainable goals (without surgery) set you up for failure. These magazines fill your head with ideas that as long as you work hard enough you can look just like that super thin toned model on the front. Yes you can get that fit, and lose the weight but your body may not look just like that.

Accepting your body and being proud of your accomplishments should be celebrated. (she lost 170lb !!!) Not covered up!
  • cuinboston2014
    Options
    I think the picture was appropriate. Most other before and after feature this sort of clothing. Showing realistic results is important for anyone wanting to lose that amount of weight. Unattainable goals (without surgery) set you up for failure. These magazines fill your head with ideas that as long as you work hard enough you can look just like that super thin toned model on the front. Yes you can get that fit, and lose the weight but your body may not look just like that.

Accepting your body and being proud of your accomplishments should be celebrated. (she lost 170lb !!!) Not covered up!

This is my thought exactly. I couldn't imagine losing 170 lbs only to be disappointed with my after body as I had unrealistic expectations
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Shape is selling the fantasy and not the reality of getting in shape.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also saw the article yesterday and feel that she represents what realistically results from a 170lb loss. For some people there is extra skin. I am also proud that she refused to given and cover up. We need realistic examples and heros relating to responsible, healthy living. I applaud her courage to bare all because I sure don't have that at this momemt.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think Shape missed a fabulous opportunity to discuss the reality of excess skin, how she feels about it, can it be prevented and what some of the options are for dealing with it.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm not very surprised at Shape's response. These magazines like to say that they're empowering to all body types and women, but they perpetuate stereotypes and unhealthy body images. Kudos to her to for staying true to herself and telling them to eff off!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Shape is selling the fantasy and not the reality of getting in shape.
    That sums up the entire fitness industry
  • Jestinia
    Options
    That sums up the entire fitness industry

Oh well, not that I have room to talk, I had some goal weight fantasies that make no loose skin look positively realistic.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser does this same thing. As soon as they begin to get to a small size, they change to cover up, slimming clothing that covers up the loose skin. You never see any of that on the final show when they step on the scale.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    Biggest Loser does this same thing. As soon as they begin to get to a small size, they change to cover up, slimming clothing that covers up the loose skin. You never see any of that on the final show when they step on the scale.

I never noticed it before I read this, but now that you mention it. Yeah. Figures.

Just found an amazing, if somewhat sobering, article on this issue, too, in case anyone hasn't seen it It is from last year. I'm struggling with a lot of these body image and expectation letdowns, too.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/11/what-no-one-tells-you-about-dramatic-weight-loss.html

What No One Tells You About Losing Lots of Weight
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing these links, all. I've been pregnant 3 times, once with twins and have a lot of extra skin that I had no idea I would have. I'm very self-conscious about it, but theshapeofamother.com has also helped me to see how normal it is to have excess skin after a large amount of weight loss.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Shape is a magazine that perpetuates broscience. I'm entirely unsurprised by this article.
  • cuinboston2014
    Options

I always wondered why they start off in sports bras and topless and end up in tanks at the end! This explains it.

I do have a bit of excess skin - not a lot like this woman - but a little. I also have surgical scars all around my abdomen - small but noticeable. These are the kind of women that empower me to be OK with small flaws like that. I still wouldn't be comfortable wearing a bikini yet, but maybe someday if all I have is that little extra skin, a few scars, and an otherwise flat stomach, I'll have the courage to show my marks too
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yup, I read about this. I would have told them to shove it.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I've only read Shape magazine once, and I didn't like it. I'm not surprised by this magazine's refusal to publish her picture either.

The magazine's website currently has fluff like "What Does the Perfect Woman Look Like?" and pre-wedding tips from Kim Kardashian. I wasn't in much danger of ever buying this magazine, but now I definitely won't.