5K Foam Fest?

Options
Anyone know anything about this? I'd be interested in attending the Houston area course soon, but I am NOT a runner AT ALL, and I don't want it to be embarrassingly hard for fat me.

All I can find online is reviews from runners, not people like me who are hardly even considered beginning runner. I think the right term would be, like, non-runner. Ha!

Anything anyone knows would be appreciated. Difficulty rating, etc. :-)

My dad really enjoys mud runs, and I think it would be a nice way for us to bond together over fitness, if it's something I could handle.

Replies

• stompee
    stompee Posts: 15
    Options
    I haven't done a Foam Fest, but I have run a lot of other themed 5ks. A group of us regularly participate in things like Run or Dye, and we recently did the Ridiculous Obstacle Challenge 5k, and stuff like that. One of our group is not a runner, she just runs in spurts and then walks the rest. You will notice a lot of runners and a lot of walkers in events like this. So go for it!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Check if it's even a timed event. Many themed runs are just for fun ... go play in the foam, colors, or chemlights with a couple of miles to traverse in the process.
  • erinbeth85
    erinbeth85 Posts: 34
    Options
    I haven't specifically done a Foam Fest, but I have done the Warrior Dash, which is an obstacle/mud 5K. I honestly had not really run at alllll before doing my first one (two years ago), but I did it anyway. Yes, you will have a lot of people running past you, but I honestly feel that those kind of races (vs a standard road race 5K) are much much less about running and much much more about the obstacles. I walked the vast majority of my first Warrior Dash, and it was fine. What's nice is that they usually have people going out in batches (500 people at 9:00, 500 at 9:15/9:30, etc)... you will likely have people from the next time group passing you, but at least you you're not the "last" person going through the finish line, because nobody there can tell what heat you're from or when you started! ;-)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Warrior/Mud/Obstacle runs are at one end of the themed spectrum while color/foam/glow tend to be at the other.
  • rlzwakenberg
    rlzwakenberg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the responses!

So, the foam fest is a foam, mud, and obstacle 5k. Sounds like there really wont be THAT much running involved. At least not all running.

I would just love to find something suited for both a beginner like me, and a veteran like my Dad.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the responses!

So, the foam fest is a foam, mud, and obstacle 5k. Sounds like there really wont be THAT much running involved. At least not all running.

I would just love to find something suited for both a beginner like me, and a veteran like my Dad.

Look at the obstacles on this course and make an honest self assessment if you are in shape to do this event in its entirety ... if you can do most of it while skipping only a couple of obstacles ... or if it is a bridge too far for the next couple weeks. Only you know your fitness level. If you can do most of it in a safe manner, have fun doing it, and bond with dad .. .go for it. If you don't think you can do those things, look for another event that you can talk him into doing with you.