I'm afraid I will have to be on diet all my life.

Options
I am on and off diets , by diet I mean eat 1200 kcl a day , exercise every day running, doing exercise in from to the TV, yoga , everyday something else because I like to diversify.Those 1200 are composed by lots of salads , fruit, protein-boiled or grilled meat, with veggies.... bla. .At work I have to eat pasta close I live and work in Italy and I have to eat what they are eating. Nevertheless if I do all of this , I get in shape and loose kilos. If I eat when and how my body is telling me...... I put on weight. I I stop exercising , I put on waight.
My problem is :I AM TIRED OF EXERCISING AND STARVING!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS?
Do I have to expect a life time of exhausting exercises and starvation? Every some months, I get back on the wagon ,I pep talk my
self and start all over again, and I go on for months and months and then I get frustrated and sad..... and stop. Like now.
I am tired....
fed up ...The sad thing is , in order to succeed in this life as an artist ,I have to be skinny,
so , the joke is on me . So the options are: fat sad cow, or skinny sad cow?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think you main problem is that you are on a diet. This whole weight loss journey should be a lifestyle change not something that limits your enjoyment of life. The more you deprive yourself of foods you think as off limits, the more likely you will give up. I see this so much on this website. You need to learn about moderation rather than deprivation.

I see people on here being far too rigid with their daily intake. They eat a bit too much one day and they throw in the towel. The same with exercise. You have to embrace it as part of your life instead of it taking over your life. Plan to eat some pasta and other "guilty pleasures" but in moderation. When you reach your goal, don't just go on a food bender and give up exercising, basically going back to the way things were. If you go back to the way things were, you will throw all of your hard work down the drain.

Realize that there will be good and bad days but don't give up on those bad days. Just learn from it and move forward.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think you main problem is that you are on a diet. This whole weight loss journey should be a lifestyle change not something that limits your enjoyment of life. The more you deprive yourself of foods you think as off limits, the more likely you will give up. I see this so much on this website. You need to learn about moderation rather than deprivation.

I see people on here being far too rigid with their daily intake. They eat a bit too much one day and they throw in the towel. The same with exercise. You have to embrace it as part of your life instead of it taking over your life. Plan to eat some pasta and other "guilty pleasures" but in moderation. When you reach your goal, don't just go on a food bender and give up exercising, basically going back to the way things were. If you go back to the way things were, you will throw all of your hard work down the drain.

Realize that there will be good and bad days but don't give up on those bad days. Just learn from it and move forward.

/thread

But seriously - all of this.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Are you netting 1200/day or is that all your eating? If you are exercising, you should be able to eat some of the calories back. Also, how big are you now and how much are you trying to lose?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The thing about losing weight is that you have to burn more calories than you consume in order to do so. Once you reach your goal weight, you can stop doing this. You will be able to eat more because you want to sustain, not lose.

For myself, I've had to consider the possibility that I might need to count calories for the rest of my life. But, I consider it a fair trade for not getting Diabetes, heart disease, or dying an early death. and for not having to suffer the sheer misery of being obese.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is , in order to succeed in this life as an artist ,I have to be skinny, so , the joke is on me . So the options are: fat sad cow, or skinny sad cow?
    Move to France
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to be on a diet the rest of my life, in the sense that, if I don't manage my food very carefully, I will get fat again. That is all there is to it.

But I eat 1200 calories and I'm totally sedentary. I don't see how you can be eating 1200 and working out.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This is a choice you're making. Everything in your post reminds me of this idea that you "HAVE TO" do something. You don't have to do anything. Your perspective is one of submission to doing something you really don't want to. Remind yourself that you're making a choice - even if that choice means choosing to be successful as an artist.

Choose things you actually like doing. Focus on the positives - how you feel after eating a good meal or exercising or making good choices. You're so focused on deprivation, it's no wonder you're miserable.

You're an adult. You don't have to do this if you don't want to. But if you choose to, then OWN the decision. Make it a chosen path forward and not something you just "HAVE" to do.
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Agreed. And once you reach your goal weight, you need to eat at or under your TDEE to maintain. This also means you have to continue logging your food to stay on track. And I full-heartedly agree that you shouldn't' be looking at this as a "diet". This is a lifestyle change so you have to be willing to adopt the same healthy choices even after you've reached your goal weight. Make it a habit, not a chore, and it will be easier to maintain.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options

This.

And then, maybe 1200 is too low for you. Maybe even in deficit you may allow for something more. And then, in maintenance, you will have even more. And exercising, even even more.

If you are suffering so much, it means that you have not found yet the way of sustenability, the lifetime change that you can enjoy and live as a pleasurable habit. But you CAN find it., like a lot of people did.

Starti with finding a reasonable calorie goal. And eat back the calories from exercise. Find an activity level you feel confortable with. Find the foods that you like and eat them! In moderation :)

It may be easier than you think :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is , in order to succeed in this life as an artist ,I have to be skinny,

If you are saying that you are in a profession where you must be super-skinny to succeed (actress, professional model or dancer sort of thing), then you may possibly be doomed to always be restricting calories below what your body needs. Then maybe yes, it will be very tough.

If you aren't in one of those body obessessed careers, then you need to find what works for you. The more muscle that you can get on your frame (no you won't bulk without steriods or something like that), the more you will be able to eat. Be realistic about what calories your body needs to function well and eat to that amount, not above it. Eat mostly good nutrious foods and a variety of them. Don't eat below what you need and you'll find that it's really not that bad at all. Don't eat above what you need, exercise for strength and cardio health, and you'll find that you will look great!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have the physical part down but the mental is getting the best of you. Agree with all that this isn't so much a diet as it is a lifestyle choice. Noticed that you used the word sad in both scenarios. Suggestion would be to find what makes you happy. Don't know a lot about the "to be an artist I have to be skinny" because I'm not an artist and honestly don't know any. I do believe that a happy person is more often a successful person and the success is not what caused the happiness but vice versa.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If I want to be the weight I'm at and happy with, I'll have to count calories and exercise all my life. My body's hunger cues are wacky, and I have difficulty with portion control. However, I don't see this as a hardship. Counting calories doesn't take a lot of time, and I'm not restricted in my choices, just my quantities. Exercise is something I should be doing to stay strong and healthy and to get as much enjoyment out of life as possible, but with all things, exercise in moderation - I don't work out for hours every day or do things so strenuous I burn out on them. I do NOT have to be starving and exhausted. You need to find a better balance now, and when you get to your goal weight, you need to figure out how to maintain so you don't keep yo-yoing.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    And anyway, eating italian food it's not all that bad (but I'm biased LOL)
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well, I will say that you're in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to watching your calorie intake and exercising.

Here are a few things that help me:

1. I measure my food on a kitchen scale whenever possible, including at home and at work. I don't know if you do. But, if you don't, please start. Here's why: I've found that I was under-estimating calories for some foods and over-estimating calories for others. If you know what you can eat in a day, you take control over your situation and know when you may overeat ... and you may be able to enjoy some extra treats here and there with extra calories you didn't know you have.

2. When I eat out, and there's a high-calorie item on my plate, I either eat less of it, or enjoy and just cut out calories later. The key is: I just enjoy it and don't stress over it.

3. I keep active doing a variety of things that I like to do. And, I try different things. I strength train a lot more now, because I like the way it makes me feel. Getting stronger means getting healthier. Try some different stuff to see what you like. And, just know that by being active, you're burning calories. For me, I've calculated the approximate amount I can eat in a day (Google the TDEE method, if you're interested), and I don't worry about counting exercise calories (which are usually off anyway, especially if you do strength training).

4. I don't stress a small gain. Heck, each time I've gained in the past few months, I've lost even more the next week. Follow the program and weigh yourself only once a week. Pay attention to how your clothes fit. They will tell you the true tale of how you're body is doing.

Good luck!
  • editorkim
    editorkim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know I will probably catch a lot of crap for saying this, but it took me two years to figure out what worked for me as far as what to eat and feel full and to lose more quickly. After logging for almost two years and consistently eating at a deficit, I had only lost 10 pounds. After just ONE MONTH of not eating processed sugar or bread, I lost ten more. I found that I was not only losing easier, but I was not hungry between meals like I used to be. My appetite seriously hit the floor, so that I was not feeling deprived, for the first time in two years. So, you might consider cutting out processed sugar and refined carbs (basically anything with white flour) for a couple of weeks and see if it works for you, too. My quasi-scientific understanding is that regular consumption of sugar and simple carbs cause wild fluctuations in glucose levels in the blood which in turn cause your hunger hormones to signal hunger shortly after you've eaten a carb-heavy meal. Filling up with protein and healthy fats instead keeps my appetite under control so I don't feel hungry so quickly after meals anymore. I am eating, for example: Greek yogurt with flax and chia seeds with some soy or almond milk for breakfast. Morning snack is a handful of nuts or seeds (pumpkin, yum!). Lunch is fish or chicken with Brussel sprouts, a salad, or some asparagus. PM snack is a handful of berries (my go-to when my sweet tooth rages out of control) or a cheese stick. And dinner is much like lunch: protein and a load of vegetables, maybe some cottage cheese. My caloric intake isn't much lower than it was before, when I was snacking on granola bars and having sandwiches for lunch, but my carb intake is much lower, my appetite is MUCH lower, and the weight is coming off MUCH more easily.

Good luck!

EDITED TO ADD: "refined" and "simple" carbs, to stress that I am eating plenty of healthy, complex carbs in the form of fibrous vegetables and fruit. I do, however, avoid bananas and oranges and other high-glycemic fruits. I am sticking with the occasional apple or pear and allowing for plenty of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries to keep my sweet tooth at bay.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    This is a choice you're making. Everything in your post reminds me of this idea that you "HAVE TO" do something. You don't have to do anything. Your perspective is one of submission to doing something you really don't want to. Remind yourself that you're making a choice - even if that choice means choosing to be successful as an artist.

Choose things you actually like doing. Focus on the positives - how you feel after eating a good meal or exercising or making good choices. You're so focused on deprivation, it's no wonder you're miserable.

You're an adult. You don't have to do this if you don't want to. But if you choose to, then OWN the decision. Make it a chosen path forward and not something you just "HAVE" to do.

Brilliant! :drinker:
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    1. You can't be afraid
    2. You are not on a diet

You are a big girl that made the choice to be healthy....embrace it.... or don't, but you will reap the benefits of the consequences
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One thing you might want to consider is lifting heaving and increasing your muscle mass. Initially, you'll gain weight, but in the long run this will boost your metabolism (since maintaining muscle is calorically expensive). I've heard that lifting heavy by itself can increase too, but I"m skeptical since I do the same and definitely hasn't increased mine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    I am on and off diets , by diet I mean eat 1200 kcl a day , exercise every day running, doing exercise in from to the TV, yoga , everyday something else because I like to diversify.Those 1200 are composed by lots of salads , fruit, protein-boiled or grilled meat, with veggies.... bla. .At work I have to eat pasta close I live and work in Italy and I have to eat what they are eating. Nevertheless if I do all of this , I get in shape and loose kilos. If I eat when and how my body is telling me...... I put on weight. I I stop exercising , I put on waight.
    My problem is :I AM TIRED OF EXERCISING AND STARVING!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS?
    Do I have to expect a life time of exhausting exercises and starvation? Every some months, I get back on the wagon ,I pep talk my
    self and start all over again, and I go on for months and months and then I get frustrated and sad..... and stop. Like now.
    I am tired....
    fed up ...The sad thing is , in order to succeed in this life as an artist ,I have to be skinny,
    Or choose a new career. Pursuing a career as an artist is painstakingly tough to succeed in today's world. It's not how good you really are, but who you know to get your foot in the door. That's why many of today's artists are children of former big artists.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well, if you consider it a diet, that's a major part of the problem.

My mother "who means well" (code for: overbearing busy-body nosey-butt) asked one my doctors about my weight. (I was having a D&C done.) He told her I was always going to be battling my weight due to PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian syndrome - hormone imbalance that makes it hard to lose weight). He even told her the key word was "battle".

It's cliché, but it has to be a way of life. or "the way it is." "It is what it is." whatever you want to call it.

If I want to lose weight or maintain weight loss, I will always have to watch my food intake "ad nauseum". It's nice that there are people out there who can be oblivious to what they're eating and never gain weight. Good for them!!! (and I secretly hate them all!!! Freaking size-1 civilians....all of them!! LOL)