Early morning workouts - Eat before??

Options
I go to the gym first thing in the morning. I usually don't eat anything before I go. Is this making my workouts less productive for weight loss? I was told by a trainer at the gym that exercising on an empty stomach makes it so that the most calories will be pulled out of stored fat to fuel the workout, and will in turn help speed weight loss. What do you think?? And if I do eat before, what is best?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is full of crap. How do you feel you perform? That's what matters. If you can get a better work out first thing on an empty stomach, go for it. If you feel better eating beforehand, do it.

Calorie deficit for weight loss
    Exercise for fitness

You're not going to burn "extra" one way or another
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's up to you and which one allows you to perform better.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I work out at 6am and I can't fathom eating before then. I actually work out better on an empty stomach, providing I am eating enough through the rest of the day.

Everyone is different though. I have friends who eat before our gym class. I'd suggest you try both and see what feels better for you.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I swear that my 130 calorie Special K protein bar before my a.m. workout not only helps me wake up and find energy, but it starts up my metabolism for the day so that I don't go into starvation mode.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    100% personal preference. I don't eat before morning workouts because eating makes me tired/lazy and I'd just throw it up anyway.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I swear that my 130 calorie Special K protein bar before my a.m. workout not only helps me wake up and find energy, but it starts up my metabolism for the day so that I don't go into starvation mode.

I almost shot dr. Pepper out of my nose laughing
  • jigenigma
    jigenigma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I workout at 6am almsot every day. I can't stomach a lot of food that early, so I usually have 1/2 to 3/4 of a banana right before the workout--to give me the energy to push through the workout and give it my all. If you can workout on a totally empty stomach thats fine, but if you think you are getting fatigued 1/2 way through the workout, then consider eating something small right before to give you a boost of energy.
  • leadiax3
    Options

I dont' understand what is funny
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Read up about starvation mode...
    Stef.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned from these forums is how non-informed personal trainers can be. I suppose its not surprising, its not like there is a true credentialing process there.

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit. If you have an empty stomach I can see why your body might burn fat during your workout, but then again if you eat before your workout and still come in at a calorie deficit during the day then your body is just going to burn the same amount of fat later. Who cares when your body burns the fat really.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I too prescribe to the school of thought that it doesn't matter. However, you could tell the "trainer" that eating before redirects blood flow to the digestive system and away from muscles that need strong circulation during the workout. Just more "bro-science." :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Read up about starvation mode...
    Stef.

Oh boy.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

They found it amusing because you managed to pack a bunch of fitness myths pretty densely into one sentence.

You do not "start up" your metabolism and your body does not go into "starvation mode" just because you haven't eaten for 10 hours.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning. I usually don't eat anything before I go. Is this making my workouts less productive for weight loss? I was told by a trainer at the gym that exercising on an empty stomach makes it so that the most calories will be pulled out of stored fat to fuel the workout, and will in turn help speed weight loss. What do you think?? And if I do eat before, what is best?

Show this to your trainer....

funny-laughter-animation.gif
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    It's up to you and which one allows you to perform better.

QFT

Its personal preference. I like to train on an empty stomach cause I only like tasting my meals once.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I too prescribe to the school of thought that it doesn't matter. However, you could tell the "trainer" that eating before redirects blood flow to the digestive system and away from muscles that need strong circulation during the workout. Just more "bro-science." :)

This I believe.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

1. Your metabolism only stops when you die
    2. Starvation mode isn't a thing. There's something called adaptive thermogenesis that happens after an extended period of time of low calorie intake (this is not going to happen to those who practice intermittent fasting or those who have high and low calorie intake days, as their net for the week is still okay). The body doesn't just freak out and shut down after X amount of time.
  • leadiax3
    Options

They found it amusing because you managed to pack a bunch of fitness myths pretty densely into one sentence.

You do not "start up" your metabolism and your body does not go into "starvation mode" just because you haven't eaten for 10 hours.
    Thanks for the kind explaination. I am pretty sure that being on MFP is supposed to be a support system rather than a spot to make fun of people who don't totally understand how to be healthy.
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    its really personal preference. some people get light headed half way through. others, like myself, feel sick if i SO eat before.

best you can do is try a few different ways.