Calories burned: MFP vs. My Elliptical

Options
Hello!!

I'm a newbie on here and had a question. My elliptical's screen said I only burned about 250 cals during the 35 minutes I was on it, but when I enter it on MFP, it says 600-something. That is a massive difference and don't want to use the 600 amount, continue to overeat because I think I'm burning 600-something cals when it's only 250 or so. 600 seems a bit hit for 35 minutes on an elliptical anyway, but my elliptical doesn't have my weight entered or anything, because there is nothing like that on there. Which do I look at?

I guess it would be safer to assume the 250 just to stay under my cal limit specified on MFP, but I don't want to lose too fast and die or something, you know?

Any help with this would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Replies

• iamkelskels
    Options
    I've found that my Elliptical is pretty accurate when compared to MFP, though I'd say 600 is a lot for 35 minutes, but it does depend on your weight. I'd use MFP because it takes your weight into account (I think so, anyway). Personally, I did 35 minutes on my Elliptical yesterday, the machine said I burned 407 calories, and MFP said I burned 397. I'd say it's accurate, but that's just my opinion.
    Hope I helped :)
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Yes, thank you so much!!
  • Roobean33
    Roobean33 Posts: 104
    Options
    My elliptical asks for my age and weight. Does yours? I find that MFP and the elliptical compare within +/- 30 cals. I take my elliptical. 600 for 35 minutes is insane. Unless you were practically sprinting the whole time. I usually burn 100cal for every 10 minutes and I elliptical 5X/week, so I'm pretty conditioned for it. Hope that helps! Either way, keep up the good work!
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    No, it doesn't ask and that's why I'm so confused lol!! Thanks!!!
  • Roobean33
    Roobean33 Posts: 104
    Options
    In that case, I would go with MFP. Even if it's not quite right, it's probably much more accurate! Good luck!

PS. I reread your post and I see that you said it didn't ask for your weight lol. Sorry!
  • cddavis04
    Options
    I would take the MFP because it does take your weight into consideration but I would only eat back about half the calories to be on the safe side.
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Thanks all!!!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't know how hard you worked on the elliptical trainer - what speed/resistance/etc, which can amount to a considerable variation in calories burned over 35 minutes. In my experience, there are very few exercises that burn more than 400 calories in 30 minutes.

For the purposes of staying under your calories, go with the lower estimate. If you want to get consistently accurate readings, get yourself a heart rate monitor and take the guesswork out of it.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sara on this one. I don't think you would normally burn that much in 35 minutes unless it were a full-out maximum effort. Get a good Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap to see what you are Actually burning, not guesstimating.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The elliptical that I use at the gym asks for weight and age and I usually burn about 600 calories in 60 minutes. MFP says that for 60 minutes I burn 920 calories. I usually take the lower number.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more with the heart rate monitor/chest strap comments! It is really important to remember that every person is different! Our metabolisms, heart rates, zones we burn in, etc. . I don't know how the machines calculate calories burned when you don't enter much information but I have found sometimes it is way more or way less! I try to burn 500 calories a day, so it's important to see when I've gotten there. I have taken some heart rate classes to determine my "zones" and it has been the breakthrough I needed. I know exactly what I need to do to burn depending on how long I have to spend at the gym. I found this one on line (http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-fs1.html) and it's worth every penny. It's really the best piece of work out equipment in my opintion. It takes the guesswork out of your workout, and that is why you're there, right!? good luck :)
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    This is always a challenge. I use the elliptical at the gym and for 30min at 150lbs it says I only burn 97 cals with a heart rate of 150. So I use my bodybugg and that says I burn 285 calories for 30 min. Most machines can only estimate and the formula is normally set up for a average male not women. I would say get a heart rate monitor or go with a florid amount in between the both machin and MFP.