Success-how did u do it? What excercises/diet worked best!

Options
princesselle1
princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
Hi everyone! I just wanted to know what worked what didn't. What do you recommend. I have 30lbs to lose what do you recommend with excercise and food!

Desperate.

Replies

• xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    When I lost a lot of weight last year, it was through exercise and counting calories. I ran a lot (C25K and Zombies! Run are lifesavers), and biked my backside off. And I did my best to refrain from eating it all back. I didn't always eat clean, but I did stay under my calories. Dropped 20 pounds over the summer. No magic pill, unfortunately!

Good luck!
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    What worked for me diet wise was not eating carbs after 3 pm. That way I had to rely on protein and veggies for snacks and it made a difference. I also found buying frozen chicken portions and cooking in bulk, and using hot sauces helped they gave me no option but to eat the food and the heat triggered metabolic raises.
    In terms of exercise I used a lot of weights and a lot of sets and reps for each muscle groups such as 6-8 different exercises with 5-6 sets of minimum 10 reps and varying weight to shock my muscles into change and growth, but then a lot of recovery time in-between doing that particular muscle group. So if I did chest or back Monday I wouldn't do it again for another week.

Best advice I can give is work hard, eat well and plenty of rest. Good Luck.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

1. Eating at a moderate calorie deficit (losing about a pound a week)
    2. Eating whatever I want to hit my calorie goal every day, aiming for a balanced diet
    3. Logging everything I eat and drink accurately and consistently
    4. Doing exercises and activities that I enjoy, 3-5 times a week, generally for 30-60 minutes a day (this includes walking, running, biking, circuit training, HIIT, and heavy lifting)

Calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise for fitness.

:smile:

Here's some helpful info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I only lost a little. My DH is losing an amount close to yours. He's making progress the same way I lost my extra weight. Logging what we ate, exercise and seeing this as a life style change not a "diet".
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

2. Eating whatever I want to hit my calorie goal every day, aiming for a balanced diet
    4. Doing exercises and activities that I enjoy, 3-5 times a week, generally for 30-60 minutes a day (this includes walking, running, biking, circuit training, HIIT, and heavy lifting)

Exercise for fitness.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^ Every single bit of this.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

Exercise for fitness.

^^^^ This for me too, although my exercises were different.
  • haleyc717
    haleyc717 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The Body Fat Breakthrough by Dr. Ellington Darden!! It's the only program I've ever done that I was this excited about. Pick up the book immediately would be my advice! It's on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble. It's so simple, straight forward, and 100% based on a study he did on over 100 people--some of which lost up to a pound a day! I've been doing the program one week already and have lost 3 lbs!! Seriously, it's awesome and doable. There's a MFP group for it too if you want to come join!
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

Exercise for fitness.

Thirded! I would also add: a big change is made up of many small changes put together. Make small changes that you can live with for a long time; then, once you've mastered them, make more small changes. They all start to build up!
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What was your daily calorics to lose 2 lbs per week? 1200?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

2 pounds a week loss is too aggressive if you only have 30 pounds to lose. Go for 1 pound per week instead. That will give you more calories, which will honestly make it easier - you are more likely to stick with it and not go off on a binge when you are eating enough. Add in some exercise and eat back roughly 50% of those calories (MFP tends to overestimate, as do machines), and you should do great.

Edit: I realize now that this is not OP. But your ticker also shows <30 pounds to lose, so my answer stands. (FWIW, age and height will affect it some, and 1200 is the absolute lowest MFP will set calories, so you may still be near 1200 before exercise)
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

You can't, or shouldn't, ask this question completely out of context. Everyone is different in that they are different heights, different starting weights, different ages, different goals. There is no one cal fits all type of response.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that it is roughly a 90-10% ratio as far as what's more important when losing weight. Accurately logging your calories being the 90% while exercise/activity is the 10%.

If you set up your weight and how much you want to lose myfitnesspal does a pretty good job of telling you what you should be shooting for. Stick to it daily as best you can and you will do great ;)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

Exercise for fitness.

100% this for me (except I exercise pretty much daily as I now love running and lifting weights). No fads, no huge deficits, no cutting out any particular food type/ group (although my tastes have changed in that I don't like greasy food any more and love loads of veg).
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress, but a "diet" of no restrictions has helped tremendously (as long as I stay within macro parameters). Knowing that I can have Mexican food - just not as much as I used to eat - has kept me motivated. I also don't call it a "diet". I eat what I want, I just track everything now. I also spread my meals and snacks out to 2-3 hour intervals and try to finish eating by 8pm.

I've found that a workout program with a variety of different routines/exercises is very helpful. I'm on the 90-day Warrior Workout on HASFit.com. I walk every day at breaks/lunches. Sometimes we'll walk the dogs after dinner (in addition to our workouts.) I find a little exercise here and there is much less tedious and daunting than going to the gym for an hour or more.

It may not be "perfect", but between working 2 jobs and family commitments, it's what's working for me!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I ran, I ran so far awayyyyy, and I raaaaan, I ran all night and day ....

I set my MFP goals to lose a pound a week, did my best to meet my macros and still eat the food I enjoy, exercised and ate back those exercise cals (since MFP was already taking care of my deficit), logged everything, held myself accountable, didn't kill myself when I failed .. just got back at it.

worked to get me down 2 years ago, now just maintaining (no deficit) and keeping with the same plan.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it! And the #1 most important thing is being consistent and sticking with it. Eating at a calorie deficit is important, exercise is important, but you won't eat at a deficit every day and you won't exercise every day. We're all human, we all have things in life that get in the way. Don't get discouraged, don't give up. Just get back on the horse and keep riding!

The most important thing that you're consistent, you log everything in your food diary and don't leave anything out. Log daily, even if you're like me and go out with friends and drink 1,000 calories worth of alcohol... oops. Logged. I've still lost weight! In the past 4 months, I've gone 2 weeks doing no exercise whatsoever.

I've stalled, my weight has gone up, then back down, then a little bit back up again. It's not linear, and you won't see a loss every week even if you're doing *everything* right.

Don't give up! MFP works, just be consistent!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

Exercise for fitness.

Thirded! I would also add: a big change is made up of many small changes put together. Make small changes that you can live with for a long time; then, once you've mastered them, make more small changes. They all start to build up!

Here are the "whys"

1. Moderate deficit is something you can live with. Losing weight takes awhile. Moderate deficit helps you keep lean muscle.
    2. Eating "regular" foods. This keeps you from binging. This helps make (portion control)....a lifestyle change.
    3. Logging is the teaching tool....this helps you learn portion sizes. Helps you make better choices.
    4. People who are active use more calories throughout the day. Strength training helps you keep lean muscle
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

Exercise for fitness.

Here are the "whys"

1. Moderate deficit is something you can live with. Losing weight takes awhile. Moderate deficit helps you keep lean muscle.
    2. Eating "regular" foods. This keeps you from binging. This helps make (portion control)....a lifestyle change.
    3. Logging is the teaching tool....this helps you learn portion sizes. Helps you make better choices.
    4. People who are active use more calories throughout the day. Strength training helps you keep lean muscle

all this

Logging accurately is an eye opener...food scale and correct entries are the key.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    what worked for me best was hookers and blow... keeps you up for days on end (burns calories) and you have no money for food (caloric deficit) :devil:

I jest of course.. lots of good real advice here. Obviously at 300 lbs, I havent quite found that magic formula yet.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Very good advice here!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!