I'm WAY over my sugar goal everyday!

Options
MissMissle
MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
So looking back in my log - I'm about 30-50g over my "roccomended" sugar intake EVERY DAY! Yikes! Ignoring those couple weekend days where I had multiple intamate love affairs with Cadbury Caramel eggs... Im not sure what to do??

The two servings of fruit I have a day put me over - Im eating pinnaple alot, which is probbaly one of the highest sugar containing fruits out there, but Im coming from eating at least a bag of jelly beans / mike n ikes a day along with a lot of other candy...so I kinda chose piannaple to "curb" my cravings - that, and I can cut one pinnaple up on Sundays and eat it until the next Saturday without it gpoing bad. I also like grapefruits, berries, and apples - but all of them have sugar and Im certainly not eating an excessive amount of fruit. I really look forward to my morning pinnaple... :-(

Do I really have to worry about this? Especially as I get closer to my goal weight, is this going to impeed my progress?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Change from tracking sugar to tracking fiber, unless you have a medical issue that requires you to track sugar.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I go over every day too, high five! Track fiber instead
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. The sugar goals on MFP are for added sugar, not natural sugar, so fruit will easily put you over. The diary doesn't distinguish between added and natural sugar, so the goal blows up quickly. Most of us don't track sugar since it doesn't tell you much (unless you have a medical need to track sugar, such as diabetes). Just make sure you get enough protein and fat (and micros like vitamins), and the rest can be carbs, including sugar. It won't hurt you in the least.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Change from tracking sugar to tracking fiber, unless you have a medical issue that requires you to track sugar.

OMg I didn't even know I could do that! DUH! Just changed it, instantly feel more sucessful, lol - thanks!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same problem. I upped my sugar goal and it completely stopped happening ;)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As long as your getting it from fruit and not processed sugar, it should be okay. Fruit has fiber so it is adsorbed differently than a candy bar.

I like tracking sugar to see the surprising sources in processed foods. Yogurts and breads were big ones. I wouldn't worry though as long as the sugar your taking in comes from unprocessed foods it should be okay unless you have a medical condition.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    As long as your getting it from fruit and not processed sugar, it should be okay. Fruit has fiber so it is adsorbed differently than a candy bar.

I like tracking sugar to see the surprising sources in processed foods. Yogurts and breads were big ones. I wouldn't worry though as long as the sugar your taking in comes from unprocessed foods it should be okay unless you have a medical condition.

Why exactly is processed sugar different than natural sugar? Only soluble fiber has any impact on glucose levels, and the fiber in fruit is typically insoluble. I eat all the processed sugars (candy, nom nom nom) and have seen not detrimental effects.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same problem. I upped my sugar goal and it completely stopped happening ;)

Ha nice. I just stopped tracking mine completely. If it's not a macro, I don't care about it.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Join the club. But I refuse to give up my fruit. :ohwell:
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Why exactly is processed sugar different than natural sugar? Only soluble fiber has any impact on glucose levels, and the fiber in fruit is typically insoluble. I eat all the processed sugars (candy, nom nom nom) and have seen not detrimental effects.

This might help...

http://familyhealthed.org/2013/sugar-in-fruit-is-more-healthful-than-refined-sugar
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

How much of the sugar in yogurt is natural (lactose - the sugar naturally occurring in milk) and how much is added? I've found that most of it is natural, depending on the brand - GoGurt would probably be the opposite!

Not that I think it matters. It's better to eat fruit than a candy bar, for the micronutrients, but if you've met your goals, there's nothing at all wrong with a candy bar (nom nom)