Not losing at all

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You are able to do both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

Skeptical of that. Why would your body adopt an anabolic muscle building state while under a catabolic state driven by calorie deficit? Don't get me wrong I'm still a little on the fence on this one but I have doubts that this is true.

If you are at maintenance calories or slight surplus is it actually possible to lose weight by exchanging fat (which is more calorie dense) for muscle (which is less calorically dense)? That seems unlikely. I can see you gaining weight but losing fat, but losing weight and putting on muscle seems like two forces tugging in different directions.

Yes you are able to do this so called impossible concept. Weight loss is not a one day thing.
    For example, I will use this week. Monday I ate below BMR (basal metabolic rate). Tuesday I ate more for muscle gains and because I worked out for over a hour. Today I am eating at BMR but will be working out in about three hours. Tomorrow I will eat less and workout less. Friday will be the same as Thursday. I do weigh in on Friday. I will not only lose probably more than two pounds but I also got stronger.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Skeptical of that. Why would your body adopt an anabolic muscle building state while under a catabolic state driven by calorie deficit? Don't get me wrong I'm still a little on the fence on this one but I have doubts that this is true.

If you are at maintenance calories or slight surplus is it actually possible to lose weight by exchanging fat (which is more calorie dense) for muscle (which is less calorically dense)? That seems unlikely. I can see you gaining weight but losing fat, but losing weight and putting on muscle seems like two forces tugging in different directions.

Yes you are able to do this so called impossible concept. Weight loss is not a one day thing.
    For example, I will use this week. Monday I ate below BMR (basal metabolic rate). Tuesday I ate more for muscle gains and because I worked out for over a hour. Today I am eating at BMR but will be working out in about three hours. Tomorrow I will eat less and workout less. Friday will be the same as Thursday. I do weigh in on Friday. I will not only lose probably more than two pounds but I also got stronger.

Try not to confuse strength gains with muscle gains. The two are different.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Gains in strength do not necessarily equate to gains in muscle mass. Can be neuromuscular connections of fiber density.

By what means are you measuring changes to your lean mass whereby you can assess true muscle gain?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Gains in strength do not necessarily equate to gains in muscle mass. Can be neuromuscular connections of fiber density.

By what means are you measuring changes to your lean mass whereby you can assess true muscle gain?

There different ways too lift. Muscular strength and muscular endurance. Since I want to lose weight, muscles burns more calories at rest then fat. As I get stronger since I lift for size, up to five reps, I don't assume it is muscle mass. I know it is muscle mass. At first I saw no weight drop on the scale but lost two pant sizes. That means I was losing fat as I gain muscle.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1. How are you logging your food? Can you describe the process for us.

2. How are you measuring your exercise calories?

You are netting more calories than you believe if you are not losing weight.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    You can see that my weight lost goal is 60 pounds. That Would bring me down to 8% body fat. I can squat 315 bench 275 deadlift 365. By my weight goal I will not only be smaller by I will be a like body building status. NFL wide receivers are at 12% body fat for reference.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

There different ways too lift. Muscular strength and muscular endurance. Since I want to lose weight, muscles burns more calories at rest then fat. As I get stronger since I lift for size, up to five reps, I don't assume it is muscle mass. I know it is muscle mass. At first I saw no weight drop on the scale but lost two pant sizes. That means I was losing fat as I gain muscle.
    I'm sorry but you are extremely confused as to how this whole process works.
    You can't just decide to lose fat Monday, gain muscle Tuesday, lose fat Wednesday. That's not how the body operates.

If I do not know the process then how am I able to get from 315 deadlift to 365 in a month and still lose ten pounds in the same month.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    You can see that my weight lost goal is 60 pounds. That Would bring me down to 8% body fat. I can squat 315 bench 275 deadlift 365. By my weight goal I will not only be smaller by I will be a like body building status. NFL wide receivers are at 12% body fat for reference.
    You are assuming you will lose 60 lbs and be 8% bf?
    How tall are you?
    What is your current weight?

Lifting stats mean nothing. I'm sure you are taller than me and probably outweigh me by 50 lbs minimum and I deadlift 340 and bench 245. Lifts are not relevant
    5'8"
    231 last weigh in
    in January my weight 250.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What the derp did I just wonder into?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

You can't just decide to lose fat Monday, gain muscle Tuesday, lose fat Wednesday. That's not how the body operates.

If I do not know the process then how am I able to get from 315 deadlift to 365 in a month and still lose ten pounds.
    CNS adaptation.
    Do you know what a Bod Pod is? Well I used one on sunday and found out my body fat is at 32.7%. I can assume since I know how to eat now that 50 out of the 60 pounds will be from fat loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Honestly it doesn't necessarily mean that. I had the exact same experience as you, not losing weight dropping inches while lifting heavy. But in my opinion the weight gain that balanced my fat loss was water due to water retention in the muscles for repair and glycogen storage. You can believe what you want to believe but unless you had a DEXA scan or are otherwise tracking your bodyfat percentage versus your weight to determine if your lean mass is changing then its just your interpretation and its a matter of opinion.

That doesn't mean negative towards you man, your working hard...I'm working hard, we are making strength gains and losing fat and inches and thats where its at. Just not sure I'm convinced about the mass gain at deficit is all.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Honestly it doesn't necessarily mean that. I had the exact same experience as you, not losing weight dropping inches while lifting heavy. But in my opinion the weight gain that balanced my fat loss was water due to water retention in the muscles for repair and glycogen storage. You can believe what you want to believe but unless you had a DEXA scan or are otherwise tracking your bodyfat percentage versus your weight to determine if your lean mass is changing then its just your interpretation and its a matter of opinion.

That doesn't mean negative towards you man, your working hard...I'm working hard, we are making strength gains and losing fat and inches and thats where its at. Just not sure I'm convinced about the mass gain at deficit is all.

I just used a Bod Pod on Sunday. Have you heard of the Bod Pod? Water retention is from dieting which I have figured out. I didn't start losing actually weight scale until I start this my fitness pal and still getting stronger. You are right muscle gains fat lost. N scale loss that does not matter.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

If I do not know the process then how am I able to get from 315 deadlift to 365 in a month and still lose ten pounds.
    CNS adaptation.
    Do you know what a Bod Pod is? Well I used one on sunday and found out my body fat is at 32.7%. I can assume since I know how to eat now that 50 out of the 60 pounds will be from fat loss.

Ah okay cool, so you took a bod-pod measurement of your percent bodyfat...those are fairly accurate I think. Look, if you weigh in several months for now and find that you have dropped say 5% of your bodyfat but you haven't lost nearly that much weight that would suggest that your lean mass increased and yeah I'd be interested in that.

Like I said I'm on the fence. Just when it comes down to it most people saying they are building muscle while losing fat just aren't honestly measuring their lean mass so they are going off subjective things like scale weight and how strong they are getting.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options

CNS adaptation.

This pretty much right here. I've been lifting heavy and losing weight. My strength has gone up significantly, but along with losing fat I am also losing muscle.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Strong thread hijack
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I just used a Bod Pod on Sunday. Have you heard of the Bod Pod? Water retention is from dieting which I have figured out. I didn't start losing actually weight scale until I start this my fitness pal and still getting stronger. You are right muscle gains fat lost. N scale loss that does not matter.

Yo just wondering man when you get down to the percent bodyfat you want are you going to bulk up your calories to aid in muscle gain and keep hitting those deadlifts? Right now I'm focused on the fat loss but am lifting still. Going to switch it up once I get down to about 12% bodyfat to eating at surplus build a little muscle. But if during the fat loss I'm also building a little muscle that'd be great, just not expecting it you know.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

CNS adaptation.

This pretty much right here. I've been lifting heavy and losing weight. My strength has gone up significantly, but along with losing fat I am also losing muscle.

To maintain muscles is the hardest thing to do but it is possible. Your diet needs tweaking
    http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-2-fat-loss-diet-for-lifters
    recommend reading material. I just started this like a week ago. I will know if it really works Friday.
This discussion has been closed.