"Light" Exercise

Options
Lately, I've been frequenting the gym for yoga and step classes, but I like to return later in the day for some cardio (just to reassure myself that I'm doing everything I can to lose weight). I try to vary it up between the stair stepper, elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill (every other day I add weights in too). However, some of these workouts (especially the stationary bike) I never really work up a sweat or even feel exertion, even after doing it for an hour.

My Question: Do "Light" Exercises, such as light effort for an hour on a stationary bike, really make a difference? Or is it not worth the effort? I know MFP insists its 300 some odd calories, but I just need some reassurance I suppose.

EDIT: In case someone wants to suggest doing moderate->vigorous on the bike, please note that I have knee issues in regards to bikes and I can do only minimal resistance, although that doesn't mean I go slow.

Replies

• jelezzierose
    jelezzierose Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    any and all exercise is beneficial to your weightloss journey. if you want to up the anti maybe try interval training on the treadmill/bike/ellitical machines? meaning at frequent intervals for a minute (or more if you can!!) go as hard as you can on the machine then drop back to your normal pace for a few minutes. i know this definatley works up a sweat for me and i feel like i have pushed myself harded :)

hope this helps?
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    if you really have knee issues then you may want to avoid that step class as it can be killer on your knee- why not try a little increased tension on the bike at a lower speed and see how your knee feels vs the sweat factor- what about rowing machine- it is completely cardio and works a lot of different muscle groups that you don't engage as much on the treadmill or bike...
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    if you really have knee issues then you may want to avoid that step class as it can be killer on your knee- why not try a little increased tension on the bike at a lower speed and see how your knee feels vs the sweat factor- what about rowing machine- it is completely cardio and works a lot of different muscle groups that you don't engage as much on the treadmill or bike...

I guess I over-spoke with "Major". My knee doesn't seem to bug me on the other machines, or in the classes, just on the bike... It must be the angle or something. I honestly don't know. But if I up the resistance, even on a slow speed, my knees ache for some reason and I can't do it more than a few minutes. Thanks for the tip on the rowing machine, I'll try to find it the next time I go to the gym.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    if you are worried about calories, what about hot yoga instead? or pilates?
    I have a bum knee so I feel your pain. I can only do the tread one day a week cause of it. The other thing you could try is building up the muscles around the knee so that it can support your cardio better.
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    Options
    I have a bum knee so I feel your pain. I can only do the tread one day a week cause of it. The other thing you could try is building up the muscles around the knee so that it can support your cardio better.

I'm so scared of hot yoga! I sweat up a storm in regular yoga! XD I'm getting gradually better, but I'll definitely begin to try those out :)

And as for the knee muscles, what machines would you use for that? The ones where you put the resistance behind your ankles, in a seated position, and either push up or down? Those are the only 2 I can think of.
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    Options
    any and all exercise is beneficial to your weightloss journey. if you want to up the anti maybe try interval training on the treadmill/bike/ellitical machines? meaning at frequent intervals for a minute (or more if you can!!) go as hard as you can on the machine then drop back to your normal pace for a few minutes. i know this definatley works up a sweat for me and i feel like i have pushed myself harded :)

hope this helps?

Thats a great idea! :) I generally tend to just put myself on one of the premade courses (weight loss, cross training, etc) and just adjust the resistance, but I'll definitely have to try this out.
  • BrockDoe
    Options
    Interval training is realllllllly good! especially as it shocks the body from the long consistant burn. Look into Tabata intervalls they're great to work to :D As for knee strengthening just using body weight exercises (add medicine balls for extra resistance) will help build supporting muscles. Depending on what part of the knee is hurt too. MCL/ACL etc. (they the two common knee problems) But lunges, squats, even the increase in resistance on the bike will build supporting muscles. Just do it gradually. If it starts to hurt. drop the weight/resistance and build up slowly.

Hope this helps :)
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

I'm so scared of hot yoga! I sweat up a storm in regular yoga! XD I'm getting gradually better, but I'll definitely begin to try those out :)

And as for the knee muscles, what machines would you use for that? The ones where you put the resistance behind your ankles, in a seated position, and either push up or down? Those are the only 2 I can think of.

Ahh! A topic I'm very familiar with... unfortunately... knee pain. At the height of my working out (late teens/early 20s), I was doing some form of exercise through sports 7 days a week and some days, 2 or 3 sports in a day... sand volleyball, Shotokan karate, softball, long distance bicycling, swimming, water aerobics (instructor), plus, weight training. It was great! I could eat ANYTHING I wanted and as much of it as I wanted... and was rock solid.

...however, my knees weren't so solid. I ended up seeing a physical therapist for a while. The exercises he gave me to strengthen the muscles around my knee involve NO machines at all. They're isometric exercies. I don't remember what they're called (lost that worksheet years ago), but I could talk you through some of them. They're so simple though, you'll probably start to wonder if they're really doing anything. I know I did. But, I also know that I started feeling better, stopped doing them and the pain came back. So, there's something to them.

Let me know if you want the info and I'll write something up. Feel better!
  • BoresEasily
    Options

Yoga burns very few calories.
  • punkrawkcutie
    Options

Hot yoga burns between 500-1000 calories a session (depending on which one and if it's a 60, 75 or 90 mins). This site is VERY inaccurate in terms of yoga as there are lots of varieties ranging in more still and meditative to quite active and body aware. Just like any actvity, it depends on what you are doing.
  • punkrawkcutie
    Options

Ahh! A topic I'm very familiar with... unfortunately... knee pain. At the height of my working out (late teens/early 20s), I was doing some form of exercise through sports 7 days a week and some days, 2 or 3 sports in a day... sand volleyball, Shotokan karate, softball, long distance bicycling, swimming, water aerobics (instructor), plus, weight training. It was great! I could eat ANYTHING I wanted and as much of it as I wanted... and was rock solid.

...however, my knees weren't so solid. I ended up seeing a physical therapist for a while. The exercises he gave me to strengthen the muscles around my knee involve NO machines at all. They're isometric exercies. I don't remember what they're called (lost that worksheet years ago), but I could talk you through some of them. They're so simple though, you'll probably start to wonder if they're really doing anything. I know I did. But, I also know that I started feeling better, stopped doing them and the pain came back. So, there's something to them.

I know my Dr. gave me some exercises for them too. probably similar.... Also funny enough I was told to do both froward and reverse (stepping back) lunges. Not sure which one worked better but either way good stuff
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

AVOID THE ROWING MACHINE! My mum had what she thought was a mild knee problem caused by a rowing machine, her doctor told her it was nothing more than housemaids knee. Her subsequent doctor took it more seriously, but because she had walked around with the injury for so long she now has a hole right through her knee cap like a hole in a polo mint!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I seriously doubt that Bikram is burning upwards of 1K in calories. The heat of Bikram doesn't do anything except for limber up the joints. It doesn't help you to burn more calories. I'm not hating on yoga by any means. I love it and find it truly relaxing and I love the mindfulness of it but it's not a massive calorie burner. Even Asthanga isn't a huge calorie burner.
  • punkrawkcutie
    Options
    I seriously doubt that Bikram is burning upwards of 1K in calories. The heat of Bikram doesn't do anything except for limber up the joints. It doesn't help you to burn more calories. I'm not hating on yoga by any means. I love it and find it truly relaxing and I love the mindfulness of it but it's not a massive calorie burner. Even Asthanga isn't a huge calorie burner.

It's actually quite strenuous as it is 2 sets of 26- 28 poses done in quick succession which require both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers to work together. Very similar to vinyasa yoga but at 105 degrees. I know the last session I did, i wanted to see if the claims were true so I wore a heart rate monitor and I burned 648 in 75 minutes. I wouldn't knock it until you try it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

I guess I over-spoke with "Major". My knee doesn't seem to bug me on the other machines, or in the classes, just on the bike... It must be the angle or something. I honestly don't know. But if I up the resistance, even on a slow speed, my knees ache for some reason and I can't do it more than a few minutes. Thanks for the tip on the rowing machine, I'll try to find it the next time I go to the gym.

How far are you from the pedals? Are you legs completely straight when your foot is on the farthest pedal? Are your legs bent too much when you are on the farthest pedal? The bike is considered to be one of the gentlest workouts on the knees and is used quite frequently in knee rehab, but it only works that way if you are properly positioned for your leg length. I'd ask someone there, like a trainer or the manager (don't trust the front desk staff as they generally don't know a lot of fitness stuff) or a spinning instructor if they have one would be the best to help you get fitted properly on the bike.
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    Options

If it helps you work up a sweat, it does. It depends on your level. For me, especially when mixed with pilates, it is one hell of a workout. Its also a great starter to warm you up for your weight days.
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    Options

How far are you from the pedals? Are you legs completely straight when your foot is on the farthest pedal? Are your legs bent too much when you are on the farthest pedal? The bike is considered to be one of the gentlest workouts on the knees and is used quite frequently in knee rehab, but it only works that way if you are properly positioned for your leg length. I'd ask someone there, like a trainer or the manager (don't trust the front desk staff as they generally don't know a lot of fitness stuff) or a spinning instructor if they have one would be the best to help you get fitted properly on the bike.

Hmm... I MUST be doing it wrong then. I'll look more into it, thanks!
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    Options

Thanks for the offer! I bet I could find some online, I'll look it up. Thanks again :)
  • mvellis
    mvellis Posts: 19
    Options
    Sounds like you're already in good shape with all that you're doing, but a challenge for you might be the hand bike for upper body. That would take the knee out of the equation. Mixing it up is the key so that your body doesn't adapt to the same routine.
  • BoresEasily
    Options

It's actually quite strenuous as it is 2 sets of 26- 28 poses done in quick succession which require both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers to work together. Very similar to vinyasa yoga but at 105 degrees. I know the last session I did, i wanted to see if the claims were true so I wore a heart rate monitor and I burned 648 in 75 minutes. I wouldn't knock it until you try it.

That's all well and good except that the numbers are irrelevant as yoga isn't a cardio workout. Not only that but any time your hands are raised above your head the heart rate monitor thinks you're burning more than you are and a lot of yoga postures involve hands over head which will skew the numbers.