Always tempted to "take the shortcut"...advice?

Just venting a bit here. I know the best way to loss weight is slow and steady. I keep telling myself it takes time and be patient. But I constantly think about how I want to loss this much for this event and so and so lost this much weight in a short time. Then I set my goals to high (1200 calories a day with 300 calorie daily workouts) and of course I fail. So then I quit for a while and the cycle continues. Just looking for some advice or success stories of people who did it the right way and ways you stayed motivated for the long haul. I have about 45 pounds to loss. Thanks :)

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I recommend focusing on smaller goals that are more attainable. Create milestones and dates that you want to hit (like, lost another 10 lbs by June 1st). I like goals like % weight lost, etc.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I recommend focusing on smaller goals that are more attainable. Create milestones and dates that you want to hit (like, lost another 10 lbs by June 1st). I like goals like % weight lost, etc.
    I agree. Set small achievable goals. I lost the bulk of my weight in 20 lb goals. Had I set out to lose 100 lbs, I'm sure I would have been discouraged and overwhelmed at the amount of time that would take. Just no that shortcuts never pay off. There is no secret, there are no tricks. Slow and steady consistent weight loss is the key to maintainable changes in body composition.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    I often do the same thing as you so I can relate. Instead of thinking about my long term now, I am focusing on smaller things, like the others suggested. I'm currently 177 and never been lower than 170 so my goal for by mid June is below that! Much healthier.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    I lost weight the unhealthy way twice (severe calorie cuts, eliminating entire food groups) I lost the weight quickly, and gained it all back and then some both times. This last time I started out that way but quickly changed my tune, and did a much more modest calorie cut, still ate what I liked in moderation. It's been 2 years now. Weight is still off, and now I'm focused on strength training to build muscle. I found something sustainable, and doable and it works.
    There are a ton of links on here with great advice. Use the search button and look up the guide to sexypants thread.
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    There's a process called "Six Sigma" that a lot of manufacturing companies use for process improvements. Your end goal is to reach your "ideal state". You define your "current state" and "target condition" with the understanding that it may NOT by your ideal state. Then you go through the process of implementing changes that will get you to your target condition. Once there, you set a new target condition. It's a continuous cycle until you reach your ideal state. Lastly, a big part of this process is ensuring you install controls into your process so you keep the process at the improved state.

Long story short, it's easier to set smaller achievable goals than trying to make that giant leap all at once.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    It's the whole thing about being impatient or doing drastic things that makes people get fed up and stop. Eat your regular foods don't cut your calories too much and keep moving. Good luck
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Have you been at your goal weight as an adult? Were you significantly happier?

These are questions I've been asking myself. I wasn't any happier at my goal weight, so instead of focusing on how great I'll look at a certain event or in a certain outfit, or how happy I'll be, I am trying to focus on how I feel every day, how my energy levels are improving, and how science says my long-term health will be better thanks to weight loss:)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Think about all the time you wasted doing it the wrong way. If you had just gone for "slow and steady" in the first place, you would probably be where you wanted to be by now. You can either waste more time doing it the wrong way, or get started doing it the right way now.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    My weight loss history is like this:

105-115 pounds as a teen
    gained up to 150 as a young adult
    starved myself down to 100 pounds in 6 months
    a year later weighed 180
    maintained 180ish for 7 years, except once I lost 15 pounds and gained it back

Suddenly in 2011, something "clicked" with me. I lost 70 pounds in 1 year and have kept it off (except for fluctuations). The things that I realized were: weight loss is going to take time, I need to get off my butt, I need to quit feeling sorry for myself for being the short/fat one in my family, and I needed to quit being a perfectionist who dieted for 1 day or 1 week and gave up because I didn't do it "perfect".

I had to push through a big plateau after 30 pounds and after that I had to accept the rate of 2-5lbs per month instead of 10. Things that kept me going were being in a fitness group online that did monthly challenges and gave each support, compliments coming in from people in real life, and just realizing that exercise and eating right were things I needed to take time to do for myself.

Also, I set smaller goals. First to get to the top of the healthy BMI range, then to get halfway on the chart. I ended up finding that as an adult I do not look good below 115 and that's okay because I have muscle now instead of being a scrawny teenager, so I don't need to go further and get to 100 pounds.

Hang in there and don't give up. I promise you I fell off the wagon numerous times in my year of weight loss. It was giving myself permission to shake it off and move on instead of giving up, that finally resulted in weight loss that was sustainable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You know what you have to do. Pick 1 lb a week, don't stress yourself out. Baby steps.
  • Itlngrl
    Itlngrl Posts: 27 Member
    There are no short cuts when you are committed to changing your lifestyle and lose weight. I agree with the others, you should try setting smaller more achievable goals AND consider rewarding yourself with something (not food - lol) once you hit those mini goals. It has taken me 2.5 years to lose 75 pounds and I have kept it off, I have 30 more pounds to go!!

Don't get discouraged and stick with it :) Once you start seeing actual results you will be motivated to keep going!!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    I'm a firm believer in the shortcut. I don't believe in "slow and steady" weight loss at all. In many things I just veer toward an all or nothing mentality, and instead of fighting it I embrace it. If I'm losing, chances are I'm losing at a pretty fast pace. Otherwise I'm maintaining. I'm not the half-pound-or-less-a-week guy.

Keep in mind that you need to be true to yourself. There are so many popular, BS weight loss anecdotes out there that people just repeat ad nauseum without any real experience or proof.

There is no "right" way if it's the wrong way for you. Sometimes failure comes from trying to do everything the "right" way.

If you tend to veer toward a more cyclical style of weight loss, why not embrace that? Why villainize it? Weight loss need not be linear. Somebody else might do well losing 1-2 lbs a week consistently, and somebody else 10 lbs one month and maintenance the next. Why add more unnecessary rules and over moralization of your choices?