Help with breakfast?

Options
I have been eating 2 slices of pb with toast, plus a a banana for breakfast. This is supposedly 400 calories, 11 g protein, and 7 g fiber. And yet I am starving in 2.5 hours. I thought this was balance since pb adds protein and fat and toast + banana adds fiber and carbs, but I can't seem to stay full. Recommendations?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need more for breakfast, something with protein? Perhaps an egg or some ham or bacon for protein?

Or have a snack mid-morning.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1 piece of Oroweat Healthful toast 80 cal
    1 Tbsp Jif PB 95 cal
    2 slices Jenni-O turkey bacon 60 cal
    1 egg (I like mine soft boiled in the mornings) 70 cal
    100 g fresh strawberries 32 cal

337 calories for your fruit, grains, proteins, and fats...You're welcome

ETA: You could also have a bowl of oatmeal with some blueberries, sweetner, and a Tbsp of butter for a little less calories than that. Oatmeal always seems to keep me fuller longer.
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options
    PORRIDGE

Eat porridge. Chop up a banana into it. Under 350 calories and keeps you full until lunch
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 2 slices of pb with toast, plus a a banana for breakfast. This is supposedly 400 calories, 11 g protein, and 7 g fiber. And yet I am starving in 2.5 hours. I thought this was balance since pb adds protein and fat and toast + banana adds fiber and carbs, but I can't seem to stay full. Recommendations?

Try this:

One egg, two whites scrambled, 1 slice pb toast (is that toast with peanut butter on it?), banana. Add some sauteed veggies to your omelet for filling fiber. If you get the right mix of protein and good carbs, it should stick with you for a good 3.5-4 hours.

If you still get hungry, try a cheese stick for a mid-morning snack or you could try adding that cheese stick into your omelet and see if that keeps you full longer.

Or as others suggest, try oatmeal. For me personally, oatmeal doesn't stick too long. I'd have the veggies omelet, banana, and half a serving of oatmeal, cheese stick for snack.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would be starving too.

Try adding some more food.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am usually eating a snack 2.5-3hrs after my breakfast, but that's the way I like to eat.

I agree w/ more protein. One thing I have is brown rice w/ egg whites, turkey sausage, a bit of cheese, and some salsa.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    3 eggs....4 bacon. Full to lunch :)
  • carbfrenzy
    carbfrenzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know, i know, oatmeal is the miracle food. Unfortunately, I have tried it cooked, raw in smoothies, baked, soaked, you name it. I just can't seem to like it :(

I'll try subbing an egg for some of the toast, and maybe some more fruit. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the same problem unless I eat 500 calories or more for breakfast. It's sad. The last time in ages that I was full for hours was with pancakes (made with ricotta for more protein), 2 slices of turkey bacon, and 2 breakfast turkey sausages.

Oatmeal is a joke for me too... Starving not even 2 hours later. Bleh. But toast doesn't fill me up either, so I'd definitely try something different.
  • mcmurrays
    mcmurrays Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Two hardboiled eggs and lowfat greek yogurt. I usually keep the yogurt for a snack midmorning or midafternoon if I am still full. I also don't eat breakfast until 10am, and lunch at 12:30pm.
  • carbfrenzy
    carbfrenzy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think 400 calories is a small breakfast, is it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's a small amount of food for the calories.

For 400 calories you could have a huge omelet with a ton of veggies that would keep you full much longer, for example.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My weekday 'breakfast' is typically spread throughout the morning. 1 ounce of cheese (120 cal) around 7:30. An egg & cheese 1/2 pita pocket (150 calories) 8:30. A small cup of grapefruit (45 calories) 10:30.

On Sat/Sun I eat 1 scrambled egg w/ buttered grits, 2 pieces raisin toast and 2 pieces of bacon. 510 calories and I'm full for hours. Had been ordering 2 eggs and it was just too much. I sometimes don't finish the grits or toast.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I often skip breakfast. If I eat it...even an omelet...I'm hungry soon after. Everyone reacts differently. You may fall into the same type of breakfast eater as me though. Most days I just have my coffee and maybe a banana.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I make an omelet with precooked bacon, 2% cheese and lots of egg whites every morning - egg whites = low cal but lots of protein, bacon for salty flavor and cheese for the gooey. If you don't want bacon you can do a little ham, too. Anyway, this fills me up for hours. When I eat bread, I'm ALWAYS hungry again. Yogurt, always hungry again. Eggs keep me full.

Just crisp up the bacon, wipe out the pan, then pour in egg whites on medium to medium high heat and cover the pan. When they are cooked through break up the bacon and cheese and fold it in half. Fast and easy. Take me 5 minutes total. If you use some deli ham, just break it up into the pan, cook it a bit and then pour the egg whites all around and over it, cook through and then only fold in half over the cheese. Again, 5 minutes total.

Used one slice of ham today and tons of whites and it was under 200 calories with 27 g protein

Good luck!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't think 400 calories is a small breakfast, is it?

It's all relative. For some 400 isn't small, for some it is. Depends on your TDEE.