About how much are "good" running shoes?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses.

If you sign up for "Groupon" you may be able to find a coupon for a local running company. I am in the Philadelphia area and we frequently see them pop up here. Usually it gets you $20-75 off of a pair of shoes. The shoes are usually between $100-$150.

Edited to say;
    Whether you cover 5 miles a week or 500(is that possible?) good quality, properly fitted running shoes can only benefit you.

^^ Didn't even THINK about a groupon! Good idea for the OP.

There are usually coupons for local shoe stores at races as well. I still have coupons for free tech shirts from one store, $10 off any shoes priced $75 or more from another, and at least two $15 coupons for yet another local specialty store.

Also, if you live near a decent sized half or full marathon check out the pre-race expo for deals and discounts.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Pay more for your first pair from the shop and then next pair get them from online retailer cheaper:)

Yes, but be careful doing this as models can change slightly from year to year.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses.

If you sign up for "Groupon" you may be able to find a coupon for a local running company. I am in the Philadelphia area and we frequently see them pop up here. Usually it gets you $20-75 off of a pair of shoes. The shoes are usually between $100-$150.

Edited to say;
    Whether you cover 5 miles a week or 500(is that possible?) good quality, properly fitted running shoes can only benefit you.

^^ Didn't even THINK about a groupon! Good idea for the OP.

There are usually coupons for local shoe stores at races as well. I still have coupons for free tech shirts from one store, $10 off any shoes priced $75 or more from another, and at least two $15 coupons for yet another local specialty store.

Also, if you live near a decent sized half or full marathon check out the pre-race expo for deals and discounts.

^^^This is a great idea, at every major race that I run there's was a "used" shoe stand. Its always at chicago marathon expo and all it means is that the shoes were returned because someone didn't like them within the 30 days and there is nothing wrong with them. They are usually half off too and they are all brand names. But getting fit at a running store is always FREE and worth gaining the knowledge about at the very least. I found out that I have really high arches and needed an insert in my shoe, which I would have never figured out on my own.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Understanding whether or not you pronate or suppinate, heel striker or run on the balls of your feet is also important to buy the appropriate shoe to support your body. Look at the shoes in your closet right now. YOU can figure out what type of shoe you need by inputting what you see into mutliple online analytic tools and out will spit a recommendation for shoe (with brand and model).
    You averaged over ten miles per duty day for 24 years? Regiment doesn't even run that much so I'll through the BS flag here.

Usually those throwing a résumé onto a forum is full of it ... perhaps you're the exception to the rule. Then again .. you also told a person that knows little about shoes to go fit themselves .. setting a poor example that hopefully the OP is smart enough not to follow.
    [/quote]

Read and then opine.

Those that cannot be troubled to post a picture are almost always full of it... perhaps you're the exception to the rule.

http://www.myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=en_US&noAnswerSelected=&noMobile=

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

I suggested that the O.P. go to an online site ^^^^^ (three choices) and go through the analysis based upon the wear of his current shoes and get a recommendation.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I run in Brooks Glycerin and they're about $130. Find what you like and then buy on-line. You'll save money and you won't get talked into buying what the running store is "pushing". I ran in pain for years in Nikes because that's what they recommended at my local running store. Brooks changed my life. If you're a heavier runner go for max cushioning. I'm not heavy anymore but I'm old, LOL, and I go the most cushion I can get. :)
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Read and then opine.

Those that cannot be troubled to post a picture are almost always full of it... perhaps you're the exception to the rule.

http://www.myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=en_US&noAnswerSelected=&noMobile=

I suggested that the O.P. go to an online site ^^^^^ (three choices) and go through the analysis based upon the wear of his current shoes and get a recommendation.

Not always as easy as it seems. Those shoes would need to have been used exclusively for running for the wear pattern to mean anything. Most people have a different gait while walking, and it can throw off the running wear pattern. It also depends on the current shoes the person is running in - I would not have the same wear pattern in Brooks Adrenaline vs. Asics Cumulus, for example due to the differences in structure, midsole, cushioning, etc.

MyPrecisionFit is probably my favorite of the online fitting tools, and I do find it pretty accurate, but unless Mizuno is the right brand for the person it can be tough to translate that to other brands if you don't have a knowledge of running shoes already. If OP cannot afford an in store analysis, honestly I think the next best bet would be to do something like Running Warehouse - they will do video tape analysis and have a wide selection of shoes (retail and prev. model sales) to choose from.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Read and then opine.

Not always as easy as it seems. Those shoes would need to have been used exclusively for running for the wear pattern to mean anything. Most people have a different gait while walking, and it can throw off the running wear pattern. It also depends on the current shoes the person is running in - I would not have the same wear pattern in Brooks Adrenaline vs. Asics Cumulus, for example due to the differences in structure, midsole, cushioning, etc.

MyPrecisionFit is probably my favorite of the online fitting tools, and I do find it pretty accurate, but unless Mizuno is the right brand for the person it can be tough to translate that to other brands if you don't have a knowledge of running shoes already. If OP cannot afford an in store analysis, honestly I think the next best bet would be to do something like Running Warehouse - they will do video tape analysis and have a wide selection of shoes (retail and prev. model sales) to choose from.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious to him.

Telling a person who does not even know what "good" running shoes cost to go fend for themselves when it comes to fitting is a recipe for disaster. As you pointed out, wear patterns vary from different activities. Wear patterns can vary between the right and wrong shoe during the same activity.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I run in Brooks Glycerin and they're about $130. Find what you like and then buy on-line. You'll save money and you won't get talked into buying what the running store is "pushing". I ran in pain for years in Nikes because that's what they recommended at my local running store. Brooks changed my life. If you're a heavier runner go for max cushioning. I'm not heavy anymore but I'm old, LOL, and I go the most cushion I can get. :)

Not all heavier runners need max cushioning. Blanket diagnosis does nothing since each person's biomechanics are different.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I'd mention the budget up front at the store - commenting that you have a fixed budget, and are not there to waste their time so you can go searching online after because of it, and they'll definitely work with you (and appreciate your honesty). Also, at the last running expo I attended (for a big marathon), I was randomly offered a free gait/treadmill step analysis as well when walking past a display.

Still, if you really get into the sport, and start doing 20+ miles/week, you'll need your next pair in 3-4 months, then another in 3-4, and another in 3-4 after that, which you can very cheaply source online (i.e. I picked up kayano 19s for $75 last black friday from amazon, and snagged 2 pair of ziglites on ebay for $38/pair a few months back - my 2 main shoes). Also, don't hesitate to stock up once the shoes hit clearance (especially via ebay and online) as you'd be surprised how quickly you'll go through runners when your mileage piles up.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Every pair of good shoes I've had hasn't been lower than 120. My current pare (Mizuno Wave Paradox) were 150.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I typically pay $100-125

Be sure to try on lots of different kinds. Hopefully you can take a brief walk/run in them. So much better than just walking around the store.

I didn't look to see where you live. If in the US and you have a Fleet Feet store around you, see if they have any trial nights. The one I go to has free group runs that are often sponsored by a shoe company and you can trail run in a pair before buying.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop online for shoes and kind of gamble on whether they're right for my feet or not, because I have very small feet and it's impossible to find adult women's shoes that will fit properly in the stores these days. I was lucky enough to find a brand I love-- I first bought hiking shoes of that brand (Salomon) and since I liked them so much, got a pair of high-end Salomon running shoes as well. The hiking sneakers, from Sierra Trading Post or Amazon (last year's model, significantly discounted) were around $70. The amazing, wonderful, fabulous running shoes that I have to make an effort to NOT wear everywhere every day, were $140. But that was because they are the waterproof version-- I think the regular version of that sneaker is around $100. That's pretty much the price range of running shoes with good reviews and the features I look for.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'd be happy to pay a store that suggested I needed X type of running shoe $30 more for their shoes than I can find online. Unless there is a return policy, I'm sticking with buying online.
    Do you feel obligated when you go into a car dealership because the salesperson took the time to help you understand all of the features of the vehicle? Rude my *kitten*.

Basic economics, they're not a charity. If there isn't a revenue stream then they don't continue to exist. Every retailer competes against two of price, quality and niche, in a local running shop you're looking at quality of service and niche expertise where quality reflects the time that they invest in the customer. You go to Amazon, or other online retailer then they're competing on price and quality, where they interpret quality as ease of ordering and speed of delivery.

If a shop is going to spend £30-40 of time in the customer then it's reasonable to pay them the £100-150 the shoes might cost.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    WHAT!? A "GOOD" running store will want you to have what's right for you at a price that works for you.

Totally disagree.

A good store is looking for repeat business, customer loyalty is important to the small retailer where margins are low. If one gets the right experience then it's a likely repeat sale, and for running shoes part of that experience is getting the correct shoes to pound out the miles. If running becomes an unpleasant experience then no repeat business.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ....and of course, everyone says that overweight people must have stability shoes for support etc. However, I actually suppinate (roll outwards) and stability shoes often push over-pronators outward.

Weight doesn't influence the type of shoe, although clearly it can influence gait which translates into the type of shoe one needs.

Weight does influence the life of the shoe, where the average runner will get 400-500 miles out of a shoes a significantly overwight runner will need to replace at closer to 300 miles due to the wear on the structure.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A good source of cheap shoes (once you know the brand/model/size you need) are the fitness expos held with marathon events. I scored two pairs of Aisics Gel Forte's in my size for $90.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Between $100 - $200, I always wait for sales I got a great pair for $80 retailed for $200 I was over the moon lol I usually have a few pairs going at the same time... I picked up a pair of asics in second hand shop for $2 my size and all,ooooh and a pair of saconies at like this sports retail outlet in Brisbane for $40. Shop around, try on a few pairs if you can like I like how saconies fit, hate new balance ... Feet sizes are different too I'm a size 9 in asics but a 9.5 in saconies and nikes... Maybe after you try on and Susa out a brand of shoe you like look online eBay great too .
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm a distance runner, regularly do 10 miles/day. I don't buy into this "specialty running store" "gait analysis" BS. I very rarely pay more than $60 for a pair of shoes. My current pair were purchased for $50 at somewhere like Famous Footwear or Rack Room Shoes. I can't remember. They're the best pair i've had in years.

these specialty running stores and all the claims of needing all the bells and whistles on running shoes is such bull. but lots of people buy into it (quite literally), so you definitely aren't alone in getting snowballed by all the crap out there. meh. whatev. ya'll continue to shell out $100 for sneaks and "gait analysis", and i'll continue to shake my head, chuckle, and rack up the miles on my $50 shoes. (which, btw, last me for months and months. far longer and many more miles than i should use them for - but the most injury i've had is with a pair of running shoes i purchased for $80; a rare more expensive purchase for me that i probably put way too many miles on before switching up and going back to my $50 purchases which give me much more wear and tear time, and much less injury)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    i'm a distance runner, regularly do 10 miles/day. I don't buy into this "specialty running store" "gait analysis" BS. I very rarely pay more than $60 for a pair of shoes.

And it's been observed before on similar threads that your N=1 study is very much the exception compared to the majority of evidence out there.

fwiw my own N=1 study suggests that buying shoes based on gut feel leads to disliking running and protracted incidence of injury every time I tried to do it.

Getting the right shoes has contributed to being able to pick up running and enjoying it. Not the only contributor, but certainly a factor. Mind you picking the wrong shoes at lower prices certainly ended up costing a lot more in the end than just getting the correct ones first time round.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm a distance runner, regularly do 10 miles/day. I don't buy into this "specialty running store" "gait analysis" BS. I very rarely pay more than $60 for a pair of shoes.

And it's been observed before on similar threads that your N=1 study is very much the exception compared to the majority of evidence out there.

fwiw my own N=1 study suggests that buying shoes based on gut feel leads to disliking running and protracted incidence of injury every time I tried to do it.

Getting the right shoes has contributed to being able to pick up running and enjoying it. Not the only contributor, but certainly a factor. Mind you picking the wrong shoes at lower prices certainly ended up costing a lot more in the end than just getting the correct ones first time round.

picking the wrong shoes at higher prices would piss me off even more. there is absolutely NO way that anyone should be paying more than $100 for a pair of running shoes. and $200?! W.T.F. are they moving my feet for me and i'm just chilling? That's such BS. Show me a $100 shoe that does something so drastically different that it saves one from injury than a similar shoe for $50 and I'll eat my hat.

and to the poster on page one who stated you can't find quality shoes for less than $100 - that statement is so damn false. i've never in my entire athletic life paid more than $100 for athletic shoes.

this is ridiculous. the necessity and truth in gait analysis has about as much validity as body type categorization (endomorph, mesomorph, etc).