Zumba classes

Options
Hi all

My gym has just started putting on zumba classes which are starting tonight. Does anyone know how I should log these in the exercise log?

(I'm worried that I'm completely uncoordinated, but as its a new class I'm hoping everyone will be as bad as each other!! And I've heard it's fun if nothing else)

Any help gratefully appreciated!

A

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think I logged it as Latin Dance, or just dance. I might be confusing sites but dance would work.
  • Killedforlove
    Options
    Yes i just started doing those and you log it as " Dance moder twist or something or other. That's what it fits under... it's under one of the dances.. :D don't worry i am about as uncoordinated as they come but it's fun!
  • Rachel0520
    Rachel0520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I log my class in manually and put that I burn about 600-800 calories. My friend had asked our instructor how many calories are burned per class and she stated that it was about 1000. Just to be safe, I cut it back a few hundred calories depending on how intense I work it.

Don't worry about being uncoordinated! I've been going for about 2 months now and it is SO much fun :) The others who are there are so busy watching the instructor (there are no verbal cues) that nobody watches anybody else.

Have fun and keep it up!

RP
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    For an hour long clase I burn 650 cal according to my heart rate monitor. :flowerforyou:
    Don't worry about how you look, as long as you have fun and are moving your butt you'll be fine. :smile:
    Everyone has been the new person in class at one time or another.
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Zumba doesnt feel like exercise just feels like a load of women going to a dance class and having fun..I stand at the back of the class to watch 60 women do zumba and its a great atmosphere, although if you are a beginner and the instructor is not on a stage I would stand nearer to the front as there are lots of steps to follow it is repetitive so you do grasp it but it REALLY doesnt matter if you dont...I have just bought a decent HRM and am going this week so will let you know my calories burnt in a class .. I also did it at home last night on the kinect and i burnt 143 for 20 mins I am 5.2 and weigh 144 pounds (was 140 before xmas erggh!) other than that to be on safe side I put it down as low impact aerobics for 30 -45 mins dependent how hard I thought I worked!
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how I get on :wink:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my first Zumba class tonight and can't wait--have fun :)
  • Candice73
    Candice73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just following up from my last post re calories burnt by doing Zumba classes since I have been using my HRM background on me I am 5.2, 144lb relatively fit dont smoke etc I go to bootcamp classes and train at least 3 days a week excluding zumba which is normally 2/3 times a week either a class or on Kinect

ZUMBA Class - 1 hour class includes warm up and cool down 367 calories (I thought it would be more) felt like I worked relatively hard in the class however there was alot of stopping while the music was changed.

Zumba Kinect - 1hr 10 mins 353 cals which was expected. As always work less hard at home!

Bootcamp Class 50 mins 418 cals so pleased with that.

The interesting thing I found between Zumba and Bootcamp is I burnt more fat from the calories 55% Zumba / 40% bootcamp.

Hope that helps!