Coffee...yes or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    I love black coffee.... there are postive things and negative things said about it health wise. If you like it and you feel fine then there shouldn't be any harm with it.
  • shellef30
    Options
    I have recently found out that coffee isn't that great for you. it helps feed yeast so its just another thing to put your gut out of balance with the bad bacteria, even worse if you have sugar in it too.

:( i have to give up coffee, starting now
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes for me! I gave up caffeine when pregnant but enjoy my coffee again! And being on a diet there are only so many things you can give up. I have stopped eating biscuits with it though! Once you get used to not having a biccy with it I think it suppresses my appetite.

Having said all that I am drinking less coffee than usual as exercise is making me crave water.

For those of you giving it up and dieting - respect !
  • tamilpn1
    Options
    YES! It's good you drink it black. I think adding cream and sugar is where the problem lies. I drink it and add at least 5 cups of water per day.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    2 cups of coffee can help reduce your risk of diabetes. A higher number (4-5 if I remember correctly) reduces chances of Parkinsons. There's plenty that's good for you in coffee. Don't load it down with high fat creamer and sugar and its a win.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is great for your metabolism. The main "bad" thing about caffeine is that if you over-do it, you'll develop a sensitivity to it and end up with the shakes and anxiety-like symptoms every time you drink it, but diet-wise, coffee is wonderful. Just remember to drink a glass of water for every coffee you have because it's really dehydrating!
    Umm I am not sure where you got this information. It is usually the opposite. People initially get the shakes, especially in high doses. If you are taking caffeine as a thermogenic, you need to cycle off of it about every 6 weeks so it will not lose its effectiveness. I take 500mg of caffeine a day without issue or BP elevation. Even if it elevates your BP, stacked with fish oil helps that.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. I usually only drink one cup a day (first thing in the morning) and make it my indulgence of the day. I'll only buy certain types of coffee, grind the beans at home, and use full fat 18% cream.

L.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There have been studies done that caffiene is actually really good to consume before a workout - I'm not sure the exact effect it has but something along the lines of increasing the metabolism or something like that. There are several well-respected users here (I can't remember who at this moment) that have talked about drinking caffeinated beverages before workouts.
    Caffeine is great for your metabolism. The main "bad" thing about caffeine is that if you over-do it, you'll develop a sensitivity to it and end up with the shakes and anxiety-like symptoms every time you drink it, but diet-wise, coffee is wonderful. Just remember to drink a glass of water for every coffee you have because it's really dehydrating!

One note - despite common misconceptions, a little bit of caffeine is NOT going to be dehydrating or cause you to lose extra water. You do NOT have to drink a glass of water for every coffee you have. Caffeine can have a dehydrating effect (diuretic) if you consume enough of it, but that threshold is more than just a cup of coffee or two. Here's a good source explaining that: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a MUST HAVE for me!! I buy Millstone from Kroger...chocolate velvet or caramel truffle, and I drink it black. YUMMM!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    no no no for me. I just cant get into that coffee cycle. I see how my parents are addicted to their 2 cups a day, with headaches if they dont get it and that WILL NOT be me :) I drink lots of tea, herbal and green mostly.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Caffeine – it has shown to increase metabolic rate 5% to 8%. A study with a low-cal diet for 4 weeks followed by 3 months of weight maint, during the maint period, subjects were given a green tea/caffeine mixture (270mg epigallocatechin+150mg caffeine) or a placebo. Caffeine users reduced weight, fat mass and waist circumference. Taking 6mg per kg bodyweight 60 minutes before exercise can enhance repeated sprint running performance and isn’t detrimental to reaction times.
    Science shows caffeine may increase urine flow and sweat electrolyte excretion, but these are not enough to affect dehydration or blood electrolyte levels. 2mg per kg of bodyweight seems to be optimal for performance-enhancing effect.
  • gemful
    gemful Posts: 10
    Options
    I only drink it on certain morning...mostly when I am feeling sluggish.
  • SkierElle
    SkierElle Posts: 335
    Options
    I usually have it 2-3 times a week in the evening as a treat, or go out with friends for coffee. I hardly ever have it in the morning, and I don't use it for energy because it seems to have no effect on me! I don't think it's harmful unless you're addicted - addictions are never good. or if you're like my friend who visits starbucks 2x a day and gets food when she's there as well, a real money drainer for sure!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    that would be a be H3LL Yes. I have given up on a lot of this to get in shape, but I like my coffee a lot and have decided that I'll put in extra 10 minutes a day exercise to have the coffee.
  • larousse_37
    Options
    What is this creamer you guys speak of?? I usually have my coffee with skim milk