"If every day were like today, you'd weigh---"....

Options
I just find it funny that after completing my food entries it mostly says I should weigh right around 151 ish pounds but after 4 weeks I'm not even close! According to that data I'm going to lose 10 pounds next week, lol.

I'm not complaining about my progress so far, I know it's long road. I've lost 3 pounds overall and have lost 2" inches off of my waist (Yay!), and I'm enjoying the exercise even though Jillian Michaels is currently kicking my butt, lol.

I'm curious if anyone gets this too or if it's accurate for anyone...

Thanks!

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    It is not accurate at all. Believing that is like believing a fortune teller at a carnival. It is a simple algorithm that takes the number of calories you ate over or under your estimated burn (based on calculated BMR and any logged exercise) and then projects that out 5 week as if you had that same day every day for 5 weeks. Mine says I'll be 3 lbs heavier because I have a flat calorie amount and don't log exercise. Many things effect weight loss and doing the same thing every day will still produce fluctuations in the amount you weight.

Don't really worry about that much. In a way it can be more confusing than helpful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It was a relatively accurate projection in my case. I was very consistent...I logged everything...I weighed everything that needed to be weighed and measured everything else...I didn't have cheat meals or cheat days and was consistent in my fitness.

If you set your goals to lose 2 Lbs per week, that is often too aggressive for most people and if you don't have a ton to lose you won't lose that fast...I had a very realistic goal of 1 Lb per week. It doesn't sound like that much of a difference, but it's huge.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I've found mine to be pretty accurate.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think I might be close to what it said 5 weeks ago. Maybe tonight I'll take whatever it says and note it on my calendar 5 weeks from now, just so I can compare the two.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pretty accurate for me. Its only as accurate as your estimate of your TDEE and your estimate of your caloric intake though.

Arguably if your measurements of your caloric intake and BMR-NEAT-TDEE are accurate then you should be able to project your weight loss and predict where you will be at.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Mine is hilarious. I'm trying to bulk and have been either maintaining or at a snail's pace gaining and it says "you'll gain 7 lbs in 5 weeks". I hope not! Lol. I just ignore it, anymore. Or have a good laugh
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Mine has been pretty accurate so far
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    It is not accurate at all. Believing that is like believing a fortune teller at a carnival. It is a simple algorithm that takes the number of calories you ate over or under your estimated burn (based on calculated BMR and any logged exercise) and then projects that out 5 week as if you had that same day every day for 5 weeks. Mine says I'll be 3 lbs heavier because I have a flat calorie amount and don't log exercise. Many things effect weight loss and doing the same thing every day will still produce fluctuations in the amount you weight.

Don't really worry about that much. In a way it can be more confusing than helpful.

Don't say it's not accurate because you're the one who is not being accurate by not logging everything. Don't blame the app for your shortcomings.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Mine's very accurate. I have mine set to lose 1.5 lbs per week, I eat about 50-150 under my daily goal every weekday and about 500-1000 over my daily goal on one weekend day. I have lost an average of 1.7 lbs per week.
  • jstout365
    Options

Don't say it's not accurate because you're the one who is not being accurate by not logging everything. Don't blame the app for your shortcomings.

:drinker: You're funny!!! Actually, I do log rather accurately, when I log, I just don't use the tool as it is designed. That is a big difference. I'm not inaccurate, I'm non-compliant to the tool. I don't cut corners on logging food, I cut corners on logging exercise because the calculations in the database are too far off for my liking. I have spent the better part of close to two years to know my calorie requirements and what influences losses or gains. I use the tool when I see the need and don't when I don't.

In a way I'm wondering what shortcomings you believe I have? Failure to use a software system properly? Failure to follow the "rules of logging"? The projection doesn't accurately project for everyone on this site because not everyone uses it the same way. That is not a shortcoming, it is adaptability. Using a given technology to aid in reaching the goals I have in a manner that may fall outside of the original intent, but still gets the required effect is nowhere near what one could call a shortcoming.

If it works for you because you are on the traditional weight loss path and use the tool in a manner that the algorithm is able to project your weight in 5 weeks within a tolerable allowance for you, great. It won't for everyone and that means that it is not 100% accurate in being able to apply that to the whole of the MFP user population. It works as it is designed and I don't blame a line of code for doing what it was designed to do. Not everyone has to use the system the same way to achieve the same results.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated! :flowerforyou:
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

:drinker: You're funny!!! Actually, I do log rather accurately, when I log, I just don't use the tool as it is designed. That is a big difference. I'm not inaccurate, I'm non-compliant to the tool. I don't cut corners on logging food, I cut corners on logging exercise because the calculations in the database are too far off for my liking. I have spent the better part of close to two years to know my calorie requirements and what influences losses or gains. I use the tool when I see the need and don't when I don't.

In a way I'm wondering what shortcomings you believe I have? Failure to use a software system properly? Failure to follow the "rules of logging"? The projection doesn't accurately project for everyone on this site because not everyone uses it the same way. That is not a shortcoming, it is adaptability. Using a given technology to aid in reaching the goals I have in a manner that may fall outside of the original intent, but still gets the required effect is nowhere near what one could call a shortcoming.

If it works for you because you are on the traditional weight loss path and use the tool in a manner that the algorithm is able to project your weight in 5 weeks within a tolerable allowance for you, great. It won't for everyone and that means that it is not 100% accurate in being able to apply that to the whole of the MFP user population. It works as it is designed and I don't blame a line of code for doing what it was designed to do. Not everyone has to use the system the same way to achieve the same results.

Excellent reply to someone who was being very snarky. I don't understand why people can't respect each other a little more.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

So if you are intentionally not using the tool in a way that would have it give you a reasonably accurate answer then why are you telling the OP that the MFP calculator is not accurate? Isn't the real answer that it does not apply to what you are doing? Comparison to a fortune teller in a carnival is not exactly fair now is it. If you want to do the math problem and determine what 2 + 3 + 4 is and you use a calculator but in your "method" you don't ever include the 4 it is not exactly fair to call the calculator inaccurate and akin to a fortune teller when it tells you the answer is 5 now is it?
  • elpomo
    elpomo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I actually look forward to hitting the "Finished" for the day and to see what It looks like. It was GREAT motivation for me to see that if I stuck to how and what I was eating in combination with exercise how much weight I would lose. Like on one particularly low food intake day coupled with a very strenuous 12 mile hike, the projected loss in weight was around 60lbs. Also, I like that if I overeat the algorithm tells me how much I'd weigh if I kept eating like crap...it basically will call you a pig without calling you a pig.LOL
  • cudzsin
    cudzsin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it's accurate unless you eating under 1200 calories a day
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Mine seemed pretty accurate while losing, and I found it really motivating. Now that I'm maintaining (and bulking some), I still log diligently but I don't complete the daily entry. So I don't see the message anymore.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Well obviously if you over eat one day it'll say you'll gain. That's kind of the whole point. If everyday were like today...

It can only be accurate if you're consistent.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i think its accurate if you stay in the limits of what your food diary gives you to use . ppl tend to go over all the time :0
  • jstout365
    Options

So if you are intentionally not using the tool in a way that would have it give you a reasonably accurate answer then why are you telling the OP that the MFP calculator is not accurate? Isn't the real answer that it does not apply to what you are doing? Comparison to a fortune teller in a carnival is not exactly fair now is it. If you want to do the math problem and determine what 2 + 3 + 4 is and you use a calculator but in your "method" you don't ever include the 4 it is not exactly fair to call the calculator inaccurate and akin to a fortune teller when it tells you the answer is 5 now is it?

My apologies for including a gross example of sarcasm and exaggeration into an online post where things need to be clear for those who can't see past it.

I was going to explain myself, but I see no point. Instead, I'm going to concede this argument to those who find the projection useful, it is accurate for those who find it accurate. I did not mean to offend those who like the output they see when they click the button at the end of the day. You are right and I'm just some crazy person who disagrees.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

My apologies for including a gross example of sarcasm and exaggeration into an online post where things need to be clear for those who can't see past it.

I was going to explain myself, but I see no point. Instead, I'm going to concede this argument to those who find the projection useful, it is accurate for those who find it accurate. I did not mean to offend those who like the output they see when they click the button at the end of the day. You are right and I'm just some crazy person who disagrees.

I don't believe I said anything to refer to you as crazy or besmirch your character, I merely pointed out that your logic in what you actually typed out onto this thread did not work. You claimed the MFP calculator was innacurate but your reason did not speak to its inaccuracy. That is not a personal attack it is a criticism of your post. I apologize if you took personal offense.

I disagree that the calculator is inaccurate because it is a calculator, it uses math and what you tell it. If what you tell it does not reflect the reality of your situation then of course the "answer" it provides will not match your experience. That says nothing towards the validity of a calculator. Like any calculator it is only as accurate as its user driven input and user expectation.

I am actually surprised you took this as a personal attack, it was not meant that way and I certainly never refereed to you as crazy. Actually in my post I never refereed to you as a person at all in anyway.