Uhhh freezing cooked meat!!!

So I usually cook in bulk during the week so that I have no excuse to eat a jar of peanut butter after work when I'm starving. But I'm looking to make a bit more than usual. Can I freeze cooked chicken/beef/ pork and reheat later? I know that this may make it a little dryer when reheating, but I like to make everything myself and don't want to buy ready to eat foods. Tips? Recommendations?

Replies

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    I freeze cooked meat after the dish has cooled. I don't see why not. Also with so many microwavable dinners out there they all use cooked meat I assume.

For a little less dry meat perhaps don't cook your meat all way so when you microwave it , the heat process cooks it through? You may want to label your dish with that note just in case.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I usually only freeze meat with a sauce to it like chili or soup.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    I've frozen precooked chicken and shrimp without problems, so I'd say it should be fine if a little dry. When I can, I make up stews instead because I like the taste of thawed stew better, and when I'm tired, I'll often skip the frozen meat if I still need to make side dishes.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    I've frozen turkey burgers and meatloaf and chili's and stews..even par-boiled chicken...never had an issue...
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    I do chicken regularly (I love to grill huge batches and freeze in smaller portions for myself). I have a Food Saver that I use to do this and the meat stays pretty moist and sealing it does extend the freezer life. I dig it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Nothing wrong with freezing cooked meat. I freeze it regularly to save for lunches!

ETA : ziplock bags and or tupperware containers are our storage of choice
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    I freeze soups, chili, casseroles, etc. I usually eat meat fast enough that freezing isn't an issue.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Sure. No problem.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    I freeze my chicken all the time and when I heat it up, I put it in a frying pan with a little water and put a lid on it. This kind of steams it, putting moisture back in.
  • herangel3
    herangel3 Posts: 32
    I vacuum seal lots of stuff, stays fresh and keeps longer in the freezer.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Depends on how your cooking it, but I do the same thing, cook 3-4 nights worth at once, dish out the complete meal in Pyrex dishes and then me and my boyfriend can heat it up later. We work opposite schedules during the week. I've never had any issues with chicken or pork chops being too dry myself.
  • Some food is better suited to freezing and reheating than others. Casseroles, soups, stews, chili, and meat loaf all stand up to the freezer well. You may have an issue with freezer burn if you either leave it in the freezer too long or do not have as little air as possible in the package where it is stored.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    No, don't ever freeze cooked meat. The second you put it in the freezer it absorbs all the carcinogen from the ice crystals and is 100% detrimental to your health and will cause cancer.

Can't remember exactly where I read that but it was a book written by an educated doctor.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    i grill tons of burgers during the summer and freeze for winter. i will freeze about anything...including cooked meats. however, if it's just plain old chicken, steak, etc, I try to undercook the portions i will be freezing so they aren't dried out from the reheating. i also pre-measure, cut, dice, slice, meat that is still raw and freeze (freeze in marinade too). i grab my raw chicken strips in soy/ginger marinade that i've pre-cut from the freezer in the morning, throw them in the frig to thaw/marinate and come home to a quick stir-fry.