Feeling discouraged. This blows.

Options
I've posted before but a little background. Lost 45 lbs now. 40 on ww while breastfeeding. And then the last 5 on a 1200 cal a day. Ive been stalled for months, but that is because I would blow it every weekend and binge.

I bought the bodymedia arm band to learn what I'm actually burning. Obviously 1200 cals was not right since I couldn't maintain that for more than 5 days.

So all last week I was on 1200 cals waiting for my armband. Received it and was shocked to find out I burn 2500 cals on average a day. I started eating around 1400 till I made sure that was my actual number everyday and well my deficit was over 1000. After reading I realized that's a no go and so I did what the arm band said yesterday and hit 1600. I am tracking every single bit. Weighing everything, no more guesstimating with measuring cups. Last weekend was my first non binge weekend.. Im hitting my macros that I was given. Or at least coming sooooo very close.

Well today I am up 2.4 lbs... what in the world... What am I doing wrong. I'm highly frustrated and feel a binge coming on if I don't get a game plan. Is it just going to take time for my body to adjust to actually eating again? Is this band wrong??

PS I'm 5 ft nothing. 127.6 as of this morning. My goal is 110, or close to.

Anyone please give me some advice, I just feel lost.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    stop stressing...seriously...

when you stress you raise cortisol levels which mask weight loss with water retention.

Okay the 1200 calories is low...and your armband is telling you how much you burn in total...BMR + movement and as a mom that makes sense.

Adding in those extra calories did not make you gain 2.4lbs..honest. It is all water/glycogen from stress and the extra food.

It also takes a bit longer than a week to see if something is working. What I would suggest is eat the 1400 log it all accurately...yes continue to weigh your food, keeping weekends in check (having a bit extra wont stall you either)

I took your stats to scooby and it came back with maintenance of 1825 so at 1400 you will lose weight as long as you are accurate and stay in a deficet...weekly deficet if you can't stay on track on the weekends.

Mind you 1/2lb - 1lb a week is a good rate of loss for you now...just be patient...stop stressing and it will come.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    haha how do you feel a binge coming? I thought binges just happen. One way to keep your weight loss going is to get your mental stronger along with your physical. Your willpower seems a little off if you can "feel" a binge coming
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    haha how do you feel a binge coming? I thought binges just happen. One way to keep your weight loss going is to get your mental stronger along with your physical. Your willpower seems a little off if you can "feel" a binge coming

really...it's that I give up and don't give a turd anymore type of 'binge" where someone just says Im done...and I am gonna eat what I want...yes it's about will power and frustration.
  • Mommy2two_2
    Mommy2two_2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel a binge because if Im going to gain by eating right why not just go out and eat whatever I want. Im just so highly frustrated. Maybe its time to ditch the scale for a few weeks.
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    Thank you. So eating at a 1000 deficit is ok? What if I burn a ton that day, eat it back? I will give it more time. I figured with working out, and new cals Id gain some. But seeing that 2 lbs made me what to throw the towel in.

Maybe its time to ditch the scale for a few weeks to just let my body adjust?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Thank you. So eating at a 1000 deficit is ok? What if I burn a ton that day, eat it back? I will give it more time. I figured with working out, and new cals Id gain some. But seeing that 2 lbs made me what to throw the towel in.

If you are using the device to calculate burns and logging on MFP with 1400 calories you should be eating back some of your exercise calories...

a 500 calorie deficet is more reasonable as a 1k deficet is 2lbs a week...

but yes ditch the scales for a bit...or at least don't stress over it...
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    Ok Ill stick to the 500 deficit. Thank you for that advice!!! This arm band has been helpful, as before I couldn't even fathom eating over 1200 and losing. Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes we just need people to talk us down from the ledge, or the doughnuts :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

A deficit that large will make me binge....

I also have Body Media Fit, and I use it to tailor my eating to my activity. When actively trying to lose, I tried to have a deficit around 300 calories a day. More than that on a regular basis and I'd binge after 4-5 days. I don't ever weigh myself as lots of things can make it bounce around; I just kept track of my weekly totals and paid attention to how my clothes fit.

There were some days I'd burn 2700-3000 calories and woo hoo! Cake and ice cream for dessert! You don't have to starve or deprive yourself to lose weight, just have a deficit, no matter how small, on a regular basis.
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    Yay! So glad you use this device as well! Thank you for your experience! The scale is going to be hidden from now on and Im going to just trust in this system!!
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You can do it! :smile:

'You can do it Brucey! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!' apologies I've just been watching Matilda. :blushing:
    But I echo what other people have said and I wish you all the luck!! Be in a reasonable deficit, and I also recommend Quest Bars because they FILL you UP and are only 190 calories.
    The Choc Chip Cookie Dough also tastes like a dessert and prevents my binges 100% of the time. You're welcome. :flowerforyou:

Edited because I had to recommend the Quest Bars!
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    You can do it! :smile:

'You can do it Brucey! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!' apologies I've just been watching Matilda. :blushing:
    But I echo what other people have said and I wish you all the luck!!

Ha! That's my favorite move!! Thank you :)
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes - ditch the scale for a while - take your measurements. Neck, biceps, thighs, waist and hips. Use those to track change.

Good luck - I think you are on the right track!!
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add in terms of suggestions, because it sounds like you're doing everything right, but I think you need a quick dose of perspective. You've lost 45 freaking pounds so far! That is an AMAZING accomplishment in and of itself! Focus on being happy with how much you've done so far, and work on not binging too hard on the weekends (I mean, a slice of pie once a week won't blow off all your hard work -- but 5 beers and a double cheeseburger with bacon might hurt a little bit..).

I would be very interested to hear how you do if you weigh yourself after a week and keep up the hard work without all the stressing. I'm only 13 or so lbs into my 60lb goal and I know exactly how you feel -- you can never lose it fast enough when you're really working hard at it. Keep it up!
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    I don't have much to add in terms of suggestions, because it sounds like you're doing everything right, but I think you need a quick dose of perspective. You've lost 45 freaking pounds so far! That is an AMAZING accomplishment in and of itself! Focus on being happy with how much you've done so far, and work on not binging too hard on the weekends (I mean, a slice of pie once a week won't blow off all your hard work -- but 5 beers and a double cheeseburger with bacon might hurt a little bit..).

I would be very interested to hear how you do if you weigh yourself after a week and keep up the hard work without all the stressing. I'm only 13 or so lbs into my 60lb goal and I know exactly how you feel -- you can never lose it fast enough when you're really working hard at it. Keep it up!

Seriously, THANKS! Your right! I have come so far. My bmi is now normal. I fit into a size small. I can look into the mirror without crying. And my husband is obsessed with my new body. So many NSV that I keep forgetting.

I need to let go, keep working but stop waiting to make it to the finish line and start enjoying the race!

Thanks for making me look at this differently, I needed that!!

My one fear is gaining it all back. I feel like if I don't watch my weight daily that before I know it itll all creep back.

But I will for sure let you know how it goes when I let go for a bit and ditch the scale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but I believe the bodymedia tells you what an average person your size would burn if she moved like you do. It doesn't tell you how much YOU are burning.

I would get my BMR professionally tested, personally, to see how average you are, then eat at a 20% deficit from what the bodymedia tells you.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 3/4 of an inch and I have a fitbit. My average burn each week is 1800-1900 calories a day. I average 12,000 steps a day. I work a desk job 4 days a week but try to exercise almost daily. I'm always wishing I could get to 2000+ on my burn :(

Anyway, when I was losing weight, I was always over and felt like I was constantly blowing it. I would work so hard all week then blow it on the weekend. But I consistently lost 2-5 pounds every month while "blowing it" so obviously I didn't need to net the 1270 MFP gave me. And it seemed like actually hitting the 1270 for a week or two never accomplished anything.

If I were you, I'd keep the deficit smaller awhile and see what happens. And don't worry about 2 pounds. Could be water. I found over time that I only lost one week each month. The rest of the month I was "gaining" weight for my period and it was masking my weight loss. Then after my period was over, whoosh, 2-5lbs would disappear.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to keep positive. Guarantee if you keep up the hard work you'll slowly start to notice results.
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Mommy2two_2
    Options
    Thank you and I so hope the same is true for me, I honestly was shocked by the number. Today looks like it'll be 2500 cals burned. And to think when I started map I marked sedentary lol!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but I believe the bodymedia tells you what an average person your size would burn if she moved like you do. It doesn't tell you how much YOU are burning.

I would get my BMR professionally tested, personally, to see how average you are, then eat at a 20% deficit from what the bodymedia tells you.

Nope, BodyMedia Fit measures how much YOU burn, not some average person.