Question for those who have done/are doing insanity

Options
Question =)
Do you guys actually do the whole thing without pausing the DVD or do you pause?
I pause it at least 10 times because if I keep playing, I literally collapse on the ground and can't get up for a few minutes so there's no real point in keeping playing it. Instead I just start it up again when I can get going again.
Wish I could do it all at once because as it is I spend 6 hours a day in front of the computer doing 2 exercise DVDs that total 1.5 hours, haha.

Replies

• Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You've just got to push through. It gets easier as the month goes on. I've done two rounds. You know that feeling of wanting to collapse on the ground? Keep going!
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maybe if your physical fitness is that poor to start you should try just walking for a while. Sounds like insanity is too much. Stopping it as much as you are is not doing you any favors and is defeating the point of the DVD.
  • Can_Change_Natalie
    Can_Change_Natalie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When i first started i was hitting pause constantly .... now i manage to push through and if i do need to pause i do it in the water break and just give my self another 20 seconds or so to recover.

Keep at it you will get better.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Question =)
    Do you guys actually do the whole thing without pausing the DVD or do you pause?
    I pause it at least 10 times because if I keep playing, I literally collapse on the ground and can't get up for a few minutes so there's no real point in keeping playing it. Instead I just start it up again when I can get going again.
    Wish I could do it all at once because as it is I spend 6 hours a day in front of the computer doing 2 exercise DVDs that total 1.5 hours, haha.

Years ago when I got my first copy of Insanity, I ripped it open and glanced at the workouts, and prepared myself to start the next morning. Got up early, popped in my fit test and went for it! I got started. Rolled into the first workout, and less than ten minutes in I stopped it. Walked and away, and didn't attempt Insanity again for 2 months. Lol!
    Eventually though, I went for it. And yes, I had to pause a couple times over the first few workouts, but eventually, I didn't have to. Keep working at it.

But, uh, why are you attempting two workout DVDs if at present, you are unable to get through one?
  • parisallez
    parisallez Posts: 30
    Options
    I never had to pause but I have great self determination. for me, if you can do insanity, there is no greater physical challenge in one hour and you should feel a GREAT amount of accomplishment for staying with the group or finishing at all. however, remember that the group on the dvd's had 60-90 days of insanity before taping began.

to answer your question, pause if you need to. no harm. but if u can just stop for 15 seconds and catch your breath and not pause it, then go for it and kick *kitten*! insanity rocks. mucho respect for anyone who can keep up with insanity.
  • heatheramartin
    Options
    I believe the intention is that you do as many of the exercises in the allotted time that YOU can do…then you recover. That means going at your own pace and resting when needed. It gets easier as you get fitter and then you'll be able to do more and keep up. If you pause it you could be overtraining yourself which will make it hard to get the motivation and energy for the next days workout.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I never hit pause when I did it. I'd take it down a notch, take a quick water break and just kind of walk in place but saw no reason to pause it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I do not see why people press pause while doing a workout dvd. I never had to press pause while doing Insanity. Shaun T says to take a water break if you have to, if your hear rate is too high wait for it to come down some, and if you are too tired than fast forward to the cool down. The people in the dvd are actually athletes, trainers and or have done insanity for a while. Even they too stop during the video. No need to pause though. Just do as much of it as you can and then move to the cool down. Next time do a little more and after that some more. Dig deeper.

When I am not feeling to good some days I do the warm up, the stretches and only about 10 min of the workout after that, then straight to the cool down.

Also maybe give Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred a try first. That can help you to build more stamina and strength to being able to do more of the Insanity workout.
  • love2b3fit
    love2b3fit Posts: 31
    Options
    I never hit pause, if you do then they'll just get harder.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Could some of you please describe what these workouts are like? I'd appreciate the perspective of other folks like me who are still not at their fittest yet. It's so much money I want to get a better idea of what it is like before shelling out for it....thanks!
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    but i wanna do intense exercise to LOSE weight hahaha, not just walking or cycling

Do a 3 hour\60 mile bike ride then tell me it's not intense exercise. I can easily burn 2000 cal on a training ride and it still takes less time than one of your "paused" workouts.
  • dabucks
    dabucks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you pause 10 times you are kinda ruining the structure of the workout. In never paused, I took a couple water breaks (5-10 seconds) much like the people on the video do.

Honestly you should probably do t25 alpha and work your way up to insanity. Month 2 of insanity is MUCH harder than month 1.

T25 is an excellent program, I'm doing a beta/gamma combo of it now.
  • heatheramartin
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor?