What tips have you learnt that help you keep on target?

Options
Anything that you've learnt so far on your journey that has made it easier, kept you on track, or just things you didn't realise before you started?

I have set days in the week for gym days, that I keep to as I would a docs appointment, or work, so I can't make excuses to go another day in the week. So if I wake up tomorrow and feel like I can't be bothered, it's irrelevant. It's a gym day so I go. This method has kept me going to the gym 4 days a week for over 2 months so far :D

Also a little tip with weighing stuff that's awkward to weigh. If it's mayo or spread or something, I put the container on my scales, set it to zero then use it. When I put it back on the scales it shows what I've used in negative gs :)

Replies

• Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Didn't have much of a target, I just enjoyed going to the gym
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love your idea about the container/weighing things and negatizing it (made up word -lol).

Second, what I do to stay on target? Well, it started out as an occasional thing, but now it's a nearly daily thing: I eat chocolate every day. I eat clean, whole foods throughout, I'd say, 90% of the day. But at the end of the day, after work, after working out, after dinner, after my shower, I sit down, relax, and eat chocolate. lol. I think that allowing myself to have my junk, in moderation, is what keeps me on track. Mind you, I can't buy entire containers or packages of chocolates. Or else I'd eat the whole thing! LOL. So I'll buy a Reese's peanut butter cup. Or Peanut M&Ms. Stuff like that. Of course, if I didn't stick to whole/clean foods throughout the day, I might not have enough calories for the snack. So it works out well for me.

Also, I really try to avoid going under my daily caloric allotment. Even if I'm not hungry, I try to meet that goal. If I don't, I will be extra hungry the next day.

:)

ETA: I also need my sleep. If I don't get a good night's sleep and feel tired the next day, I'm much more likely to make undesirable food choices.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First of all, I love your idea about the container/weighing things and negatizing it (made up word -lol).

Second, what I do to stay on target? Well, it started out as an occasional thing, but now it's a nearly daily thing: I eat chocolate every day. I eat clean, whole foods throughout, I'd say, 90% of the day. But at the end of the day, after work, after working out, after dinner, after my shower, I sit down, relax, and eat chocolate. lol. I think that allowing myself to have my junk, in moderation, is what keeps me on track. Mind you, I can't buy entire containers or packages of chocolates. Or else I'd eat the whole thing! LOL. So I'll buy a Reese's peanut butter cup. Or Peanut M&Ms. Stuff like that. Of course, if I didn't stick to whole/clean foods throughout the day, I might not have enough calories for the snack. So it works out well for me.

Also, I really try to avoid going under my daily caloric allotment. Even if I'm not hungry, I try to meet that goal. If I don't, I will be extra hungry the next day.

:)

ETA: I also need my sleep. If I don't get a good night's sleep and feel tired the next day, I'm much more likely to make undesirable food choices.

Yeah I eat chocolate a lot too!
    I have dark chocolate cause I don't eat dairy, but I probably eat it 5/6 days a week!
    I buy a bar of it and keep in the kitchen and I break off a couple of squares and take that to my room to eat. If I want more I generally can't be bothered to get up, and if I do by the time I get there I realise I don't need more :)

I also find clingfilming the hell out of stuff after I've taken the serving amount out of it helps. by the time I start trying to get all the layers off I remember I don't need more and give up :D
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    What keeps me on target is challenges. So one challenge I have this year is to do a half-marathon so I will run twice a week. My challenge next year is to get my black belt in Tae Kwon Do and for that I will need some super dooper endurance for a three hour grading exam. My target is to stay a size 14 (UK).

If you don't have a target yet, don't worry because it will just come to you. All the best
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just love to run, so I eat to help me run longer farther and faster. so it all works out. it's a good thing I love running more than most everything in my life. most not all.
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've learned that a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss and not cutting out "bad foods". I eat everything including fast food and cake, just as long as I keep it under my calorie goal, I'm good! I used to binge eat a lot when I cut out my favorite foods.

Another tip that helps to keep me on target is eating MORE than 1200 calories a day. I personally wasn't able to stick to that for long.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try to find things that target bad eating for you.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Also a little tip with weighing stuff that's awkward to weigh. If it's mayo or spread or something, I put the container on my scales, set it to zero then use it. When I put it back on the scales it shows what I've used in negative gs :)

Thanks for that!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I wallpaper my life with notes and quotes and pictures to keep me on track. This includes places like the kitchen, the bedroom, the bathroom, my closet, my desk at work, you get the idea. Anytime I feel like faltering I see a post-it and it reminds me of why I'm continuing to make good choices for myself.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also use this method to weigh tricky food items! It really does help! I also try to do food prep each week, on Sundays. Keeps me from reaching for an unhealthy, quick alternative!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options

This. 100 times this. I've been sleeping like sht lately and eating more and more junk and getting awful cravings. I need to set more sleep time. Also lack of sleep could lead to making mistakes when working out and injuries.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    What helps to keep me on track is preparation !! I prepare foods ahead of time. For example on a Sunday I will portion out food for the week. I will bag up carrots, celery, almonds, etc.. This way when I pack my lunch I scan the items and pack them. It makes it easier and I can log my calories before I leave the house ! This has been a very good tool for me to help me not only stay on track, but it helps me prepare my meals ahead of time so I am not stressing as I pack my food to take.. I even do it with cottage cheese, and some canned meats like chicken and tuna ! I use a scale for all that I can and make sure everything is as it should be.. Again it doesn't take as long as it may sound and it sure helps when I pack my lunches !
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What helps to keep me on track is preparation !!

This. I pre-plan my day's food, this helps me a lot because I know exactly how the food is set up for the day and I don't waste time worrying about what\how much I'm going to eat :-)
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I put my gym times in my calendar (google) so if I dont do it its glaring me in the face everytime I use my calendar. Ghis is a new tip for me but has helped a ton.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I book my classes online a week in advance, if I decide not to go, I have to cancel at least 2 hours in advance or get charged. Definitely stops me from last minute not going and hate cancelling.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    For some strange reason buying snacks that come in convenient calorie amounts like 100 or 200 cals makes it easier to get thru the day on track.

I guess I feel since it's marketed as a snack it should hold me till mealtime. It's made regular snacks of those amounts able to keep me as well. Prior I would have followed up a 100 cal latte with cookies or somethign 10 minuts later. now it's either or, and i give myself the chance to see how i feel with just that. it's always enough. its just a snack after all.
  • tffcx
    tffcx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've learned that a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss and not cutting out "bad foods". I eat everything including fast food and cake, just as long as I keep it under my calorie goal, I'm good! I used to binge eat a lot when I cut out my favorite foods.

same!! i haven't binged in ages now that there are no "good"/"bad" foods. the experiment where the guy lost weight eating twinkies all day err day convinced me! even if i have no calories left for the day, knowing that the cake is off-limits till tomorrow and not forever has really helped me a lot. yay to us :smile:
  • Kgerber777
    Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tend to be more hungry in the evenings so I eat low calorie foods most of the day so I can eat pretty much what ever I want for dinner. I do cereal for breakfast (like honey nut cheerio's or oatmeal), I eat fruit on my breaks at work, and have a prepackaged frozen meal for lunch (like a lean cuisine). If I eat like this I almost always have about 1000 calories left to last me from 5:30- bed time.

Also, if I am going to eat something with more calories in it and I know I need to show self control I drink a full cup of water before I even dish up, and I don't fill up my plate. If the plate is full I feel like I have to eat all of it.
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also find clingfilming the hell out of stuff after I've taken the serving amount out of it helps. by the time I start trying to get all the layers off I remember I don't need more and give up :D

Great idea!