Gaining Inches and not losing weight

Options
I'm new to MFP....I started going to the gym a little over a month ago and have been meeting with a trainer 2x/week for weight training and have been going 2-3x for spin class. My trainer measured me this past week after having worked with me for about a month. I haven't lost any weight, I gained inches in my thighs and waist. I have been eating healthier about 1200 calories a day. Can someone please help me understand why I haven't lost anything...considering I went from not working out at all to going to the gym 4-5x/week. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I could really use some suggestions because I'm feeling extremely discouraged.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    ill be the one to say it....

are you sure your counting your calories correctly? as in measuring them in someway, preferably with a scale?

exercise wont do much for weight loss if you are still eating too much, sure youll gain some muscle and still end up looking better but you wont lose much fat
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    NEED MOAR FOOD!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you logging your food? Do you use a food scale? What is your height weight age, workout routine and do you have any medical conditions?
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    BigT is right, you're likely not measuring your calories correctly. Are you counting the little things you pick on throughout the day? Measuring the weight in grams of the things you're eating? Or are you just eyeballing?

There's a slim chance your body is retaining a bunch of water from not being used to eating so little and exercising so much, in which case you might have a "whoosh" to look forward to, but I'd go with counting your calories instead. If you think water weight might be the case, switch to a low-carb (~25g carbs) diet for a couple of days. You'll lose all that retained water tout suite.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you working out and your total calories are 1200 that is way way too low. I am maybe 275lbs now and I burn at least 600 in the gym and have to eat those back or it will stall the weight loss.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see it. If you're logging that is. Did you discuss this w/ your trainer?
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Up your food intake - your body is probably holding on to fat as a means of protecting it against the amount of exercise you're doing. It may take a little time, but when your body realizes it's getting more food, you'll see the pounds begin dropping.
  • KBNY99
    KBNY99 Posts: 3
    Options
    I did discuss it with my trainer and he said I should do more cardio on the days I'm not meeting with him. As for logging food, I haven't been consistent with it...on average it's been about 1200 calories sometimes even less. I could really use your input and suggestions because obviously I'm doing something wrong.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I did discuss it with my trainer and he said I should do more cardio on the days I'm not meeting with him. As for logging food, I haven't been consistent with it...on average it's been about 1200 calories sometimes even less. I could really use your input and suggestions because obviously I'm doing something wrong.
    all i can say is narrow down those calories, if your not losing weight and there is no underlying medical issue (which is rare to prevent weight loss) then you arent correctly counting your calories. cardio is great but it is much easier to abstain from eating a calorie than to try and burn it off
  • paulduong
    paulduong Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I agree with BigT. Just track your calories a little bit more. Just simply do a little more cardio and make sure you log exactly what you're eating and it'll come. Just be patient!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    NEED MOAR FOOD!
    This is never the answer when someone is not losing weight and gaining inches.
  • KBNY99
    KBNY99 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I got a bit discouraged and haven't been back to the gym since Friday, which was when my trainer measured me....but I guess I just have to keep at it and hopefully I'll start seeing results soon.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Exercise more. And DRINK MORE WATER. Could be your retaining water. Drinking more could help with this but hurt nothing at all. Win win
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    OP,

You need to consistently log every single thing you put in your mouth. Weight all solids (digital food scales are cheap) and measure all liquids. Read packages and do your own research to assure that you have your calories correct. Log your exercise calories and eat a portion back so that you are properly fueling your body.

Since you are not losing weight and are gaining inches. chances are 99.9 percent that you are eating more than you think you are. It's okay, though, we've all been there before.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    NEED MOAR FOOD!

How do you figure? She's gaining inches and weight so I think it'd be safe to say she's probably eating more than she thinks so telling her to eat more is pretty bad advice.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Start weighing your food with a food scale. Log everything and do it everyday.

And please NET at least your 1200. Don't go lower.

(And by net I mean eating 1200 plus exercise calories).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    OP,

You need to consistently log every single thing you put in your mouth. Weight all solids (digital food scales are cheap) and measure all liquids. Read packages and do your own research to assure that you have your calories correct. Log your exercise calories and eat a portion back so that you are properly fueling your body.

Since you are not losing weight and are gaining inches. chances are 99.9 percent that you are eating more than you think you are. It's okay, though, we've all been there before.

This.

"healthy" does not equal calorie deficit. It is really, really easy to underestimate what you are eating when you aren't tracking everythng.

I also don't believe "more cardio" is the answer. I'm not a fan of killing oneself with cardio to lose weight.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    NEED MOAR FOOD!
    This is never the answer when someone is not losing weight and gaining inches.

Did you read her post? She's eating 1200 calories and pretty much exercising every day. She's not being fueled properly. She needs to eat more. She's probably also eating too much sodium and not enough potassium and it's causing water retention/bloating.