Can't stay full

Options
How do I keep myself from feeling hungry all the time? This is becoming a problem for me.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i found a nice thick whey protein shake is great to help when the hunger gets unbearable, but always hold out as much as possible!
    hunger is almost always mental, it sucks to have a growling stomach but it does go away in time, just over 6 months in and i can honestly say the only time i get hungry is when im out drinking.

also, i find it much easier to abstain from eating in the mornings than later in the day, so perhaps try skipping breakfast for now if possible?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you eat a lot of carbs, that can be common, especially if protein and fats are low. But a few things you can do, replace carbs with protein and fats, exercise (so you can eat more calories) or lower your per week loss goal. Personally, most the women I know are losing at 1700 to 2100 calories. And if I was you, i would rather lose at a slower pace if it's going to prevent me from binging. Heck, I can barely keep myself full at 2500 calories..
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Stats?

How much are you eating?
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am never full, probably always just a little bit hungry. Then I use the apple test, if I am not hungry enough to eat and apple then I am not really hungry. It helps me with the mind tricks. I am finding I am actually not shaking needing to eat immediately hungry very often. Most of my meals have protein and fat in them. It helps. I never eat a meal that is a majority of carbs like pasta or I would be ravenous.
  • abmvb
    abmvb Posts: 9
    Options
    When I think I've consumed an adequate amount of food/calories and still feel hungry, I always drink a glass of water. Sometimes, thirst disguises itself as hunger. If I'm still hungry 10-20 minutes after my water, I have a snack!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    When I think I've consumed an adequate amount of food/calories and still feel hungry, I always drink a glass of water. Sometimes, thirst disguises itself as hunger. If I'm still hungry 10-20 minutes after my water, I have a snack!
    this^ or tea/coffee
    the little bit of caffeine will act as an appetite suppressant as well as filling your gut with water instead of food
  • fitlifemd
    fitlifemd Posts: 2
    Options
    Add raw veggies to every meal and snack.. Even just a few slices will help! I realized I am a quantity eater and the oral stimulation reminds me that Im eating and filling up! Makes every meal more satisfying... And also keeps me regular LOL
  • birkona
    birkona Posts: 24
    Options
    Try eating more protein. I find that it does the trick for me.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of fruits and vegetables. My portions have definitely gone up, and I do get hungry again, so I just eat more. this is the only way I have been able to get all of the vitamins I need. I only get about 10-20 percent of my calories from protein, but I have steadily been burning fat, and I have more energy than I ever have before, so it must be working somehow.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how much you are eating and if your hunger is real or emotionally based. All those things matter.

I would try to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day and make sure you have protein and each one. Filling in your eating plan with fruits and vegetables and making sure you drink plenty of water is also important.

Nobody needs to be starving in order to lose weight (with the exception, maybe, of people who want to go under a healthy weight).
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My wife use to say this all the time. That no matter what she ate she can't ever feel "full" and was always hungry.

She also was a carbohydrate fiend; she loved her high carb foods. Funny how when the bread, pasta, and sweets were cut down she was no longer "hungry" for meats, vegetables, and even fruit. She also battled with emotional eating, which was helping contribute to that non stop "hunger".

A lot of the times unsatisfiable hunger is really just cravings. And cravings can be kicked.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Grits keep me full for hours. I toss in some ground turkey, egg whites and vegetables and I'm set til next mealtime.
  • LexiStrawn
    LexiStrawn Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted I'll have to try some of ya'll's tips and tricks, I know for sure i need to be drinking more water, and I am working on that. But after reading some of your posts I feel like it could also be emotional. I do struggle with depression which is why I decided to go try and lose some weight and work out more. I guess it will be a trial and error process, thanks so much for responding!
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Before I eat a meal, I always drink 1 glass of water.

I also have high fiber snack bars and protein shakes.

Some protein shakes are store bought, but I invested $20 and purchased vanilla whey protein powder at CVS.

I mix 1 scoop of the powder, 1 cup skim milk and 1 tsp of cinnamon in a blender to make myself a Cinnabon Protein Shake. It's so good that my entire family, who constantly eat chips, soda, etc and don't diet, has some with me!

Also, the amazing, incredible egg is wonderful for holding off hunger.