Metabolic Syndrome/Insulin Resistance

Options
I've been trying to figure out for a long time exactly what it is that is making it so hard for me to lose any weight. Over the past year I've had more medical problems arise and I know I need to figure out what it going on and what I can do. I wish I could just run a scan like you do on your computer and figure out what is wrong and why.

Anyway, I was reading up on Metabolic Syndrome and as time goes on it fits me more and more. My husband has been suggestion insulin resistance for a while. I was hoping some people here are dealing with this and could have suggestions on good foods and some tips.

Thank you.

Replies

• stmaurice
    stmaurice Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Howdy!

You should book an appointment with your doctor. Blood work will let you know if you have metabolic syndrome or issues with insulin. If you have either, you'll need to be followed by a medical professional...

- Justin
  • scoy85
    scoy85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had Insulin Resistance since I was about 12. I have always been very active but still over weight. I am now 25 and dealing with my weight and what I can eat never gets better. When it comes to Metabolic Syndrome it is about the same thing as Insulin Resistance. My doctor has out me on a medicine that helps control my insulin. It works but is a pain to take everyday. It will help a lot if you talk to a doctor and a nutritionist. They can run the test needed to find out if you have insulin resistance and also help you with a meal plan. I hope you the best and keep up with the good work and you will figure it out.

Sarah
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. My blood sugar values are constantly in an elevated but "normal" range (so not diabetic) despite my healthy eating and intense working out.
    I went on an Rx called Glumetza and was able to dump about 13 pounds, but I really have to watch everything I put into my body to be able to drop any significant amount of weight.
    I'm currently following a Paleolithic diet to about 80% (I love my dairy, so it's hard to give up)... If you are interested google Mark Sisson or Mark's Daily Apple. I've been able to dump another 15 pounds following this type of nutrition plan, and doing crossfit (So maintaining my muscle mass).

I highly recommend you see your doctor to get a full blood panel done and discuss your weight loss issues with him/her.
  • hismuse
    hismuse Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many doctors but none really label anything, it's frustrating. I know my testoserone is high and that I have borderline hypothyroidism but that's about it. I'm seeing my doc for a yearly checkup this month so I'll try bringing it up again. Until then I want to try to see if any changes can help.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    if your testosterone is high, you've most likely got PCOS, which goes hand in hand with metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance/excess body hair/low fertility etc. check it out with your OB/GYN
  • hismuse
    hismuse Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know PCOS too, I've read up on it all, they all seem to coincide from what I can see. I don't know if I have fertility problems as I've never tried to conceive but I've never have menstruation problems.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    My very best friend had all this too, could not lose a pound when following diets to a tee, could not exercise much due to a bad knee and the weight caused such pain on back/hips. She had gastric bypass surgery in May of 2010, dropped 100 pounds in her first 6 months (more since) and is rid of ALL those health issues! She now can walk for long periods of time and is following protocol to a tee just like she followed dieting to a tee!!!! She feels fab and looks it too! Sooo proud of her!! I wish you success in all you do!!!!