de-stinking sweaty sneakers

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
Anyone have any tips on how to get some of the stink out of smelly sneakers? Both my running shoes and my basketball sneakers smell so bad I can't have them in my house, never mind my office.

I've tried baby powder and baking soda, no luck. I've tried putting them outside overnight during the winter (heard somewhere that freezing them can help), but nothing.

Replies

• Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    Time for new shoes. sometimes I've found that the shoe stink is the stink that sticks.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    try spraying the insides with an antibacteria spray then fill with cat litter, fullers earth absorb moisture well...hopefully the antibac spray will kill some of the nasties responsible for the nifs and the fullers earth will absorb the moisture from the spray as well as some of the smell
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Wash them on a gentle cycle cold water, put some other stuff in with them like towels.
    Air dry after.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I saw a tip on TV one time to try deodorant. :) Never tried it. But, it's worth a try before going down the new-shoes-lane.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Wash them on a gentle cycle cold water, put some other stuff in with them like towels.
    Air dry after.
    Gotta make sure that they are bone dry before you use them again, or it will make it worse! This works for me, and mine can get nasty funky.
  • hsavas
    hsavas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i put dryer sheets (fabric softener) in mine when i'm not wearing them. it works pretty well.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I use 1 part white vinegar &1 part water in a spray bottle, spray inside of shoes, let them dry overnight. It works for awhile.
  • WhyphenN
    WhyphenN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    excellent idea:)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    rubbing alcohol

the smell is caused by bacteria in your shoes, put some 99% iso-propyl in a spray bottle and douse your smelly shoes with it, itll kill the bacteria and alcohol is very volatile so it will evaporate relatively quickly

edit; also putting your shoes in the freezer for a couple days will work, cold temps kill most bacteria
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I'd Burn em :drinker:
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Put them in the feezer...kills the bacteria that causes the odor!!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Lysol
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Alcohol based anti-bacterial spray, as some have mentioned, but if you get the stuff that has a nice herbal scent, it makes it even better. There's one made by EO in lavender (they also have peppermint) that has fixed my stinky shoes before. You really have to spray it in there very thick, but it works. I sprayed a pair of Birkenstocks once so it took a day to dry, but they didn't smell like feet anymore.