Boiling techniques for easy to peel boiled eggs?

Options
I am an egg white addict, and prefer them boiled. I have very inconsistent results with how easy they peel. Any tips? I often boil 36 at a time.

Replies

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    They peel better when they aren't fresh. Vague but true. You'll know they're the right amount of not fresh when they peel easily.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Apparently putting a teaspoon of baking soda in the water makes them easy to peel without the white sticking to the inside of the shell.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Not too fresh eggs tends to be easier to peel when your hard boiled them. If your eggs are fresh from the store, juste put a little baking soda in your boiling water, it will help to loosen the shell.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend puts salt in the water when boiling. Not sure where he got the info but it works for him lol.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Baking soda
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I actually use vinegar.
  • carrierose2
    carrierose2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also use a little salt with the boiling water. Works every time. A real bummer when I forget!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I heard that you can put them in cool water after boiling, then crack them a bit, and then put them back into the water. The water will seep underneath the shell and loosen the shell.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This has never failed me - put the eggs into the pot/pan while the water* is still cold. Boil till water is boiled. Turn off the stove and let the eggs sit inside the pot/pan (with a lid covering it) for 12 mins. Take them out, and you've got perfect easy-to-peel eggs!

*water should just cover the eggs
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs into a pan of water and bring to a boil. As soon as they start boiling I take them off and cover for 11 minutes. After 11 minutes I pour off the water and put in ice water. After they cool drain and leave the eggs in the pan. Shake the pan like you are shaking popcorn until you see the shells began to come off. The shells should come off easily after that.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just made some tonight.
    With my eggs that I raise, I make sure they are about two weeks old. Eggs from the store I usually do fine using right away. I place the eggs in a wide, low pot of cold water. Add a generous amount (about 2 tsp) of salt. Bring to a boil, stop and let stand for five -eight minutes, still covered.
    Put in an ice bath and let cool for about 15-20m.
    If the yolk isn't quite hard enough for your taste, add a few more minutes standing in hot water on the next batch. Too hard, the yolk will turn green and be too dry for my taste. I like them just beyond soft boiled, egg just barely hard boiled.
    Mine always peel very easily when I do it this way. When peeling, I tap the egg all over on the cutting board. Then I peel under running water or at least rinse off the shell bits after peeling. These are awesome for quick snacks, on salads or my favorite. Remove the yolk, add a small amount of Dijon, a 1/4 tsp of plain yogurt, a sprinkle of salt, pepper and smoked chipolte pepper, ground or smoked paprika. Makes a very low calorie single deviled egg. You can use a similar recipe for egg sald, too.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I make "hardboiled" eggs in the oven. Put 1 egg in each spot of a muffin tin, put in oven, set oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and bake 30 minutes. Turn out perfect every time and they peel easily.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Even easier than boiling, bake them. I make my hard boiled eggs in the oven, place one egg in each spot in a cupcake pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 325. When done place in a bowl of ice water to cool immediately. They peel super easy and they don't end up with that green ring around the yolk.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    vinegar, salt and room temp peeling.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I make "hardboiled" eggs in the oven. Put 1 egg in each spot of a muffin tin, put in oven, set oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and bake 30 minutes. Turn out perfect every time and they peel easily.

Cool, I never thought to bake them. Thanks.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Steam them in a pressure cooker instead of boiling them. Same time you'd use if boiling them, i.e. 6 minutes at pressure. Use the lowest pressure setting, so they don't implode. Release pressure naturally, so they don't explode. Allow them to cool enough to peel but don't leave them in their shells overnight.

The shells practically fall off.

This is how it's usually done commercially.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Check this out: http://www.eggthingy.com

A friend of mine invented it, and it looks like it will launch this year. It's a way to hard boil egg whites.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Try not to overcook them. I cover them in cold water in a lidded pot and as soon as it boils turn off the heat. I let them cook 15 minutes then just run cold water over them to stop,the cooking process. Shells should come off easily with no green around the yolk
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Put a dash of baking soda in the water as they boil. The shells crumble right off.
  • josstuff
    josstuff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Guess you can call me lazy. I buy boiled eggs pre peeled and ready to eat from Costco. They sell a whole bunch for cheap.