Grams of Protein.

Options
My dietician told me to keep between 70 to 75 grams of protein per day. I asked her what would a daily protein count look like. She told me it's not the portion size, but the total protein count of it. Protein either of animal or vegetable content. I have no clue as to judge what or how much I should eat per meal/day. I'm finding this very frustrating. I did ask her to clarify but I still didn't understand and acted like I did understand but did not. The fear of being labeled stupid.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    How do you not know how much to eat per day? The first line of this post says that your trainer says you should be eating 70-75 grams per day, so eat at least that. (It is always ok to go over your goal in protein, btw) However you want to space that out in your meals is up to you. My diary is always open if you want to get ideas, though.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging your food intake? It will show you total grams of protein per meal/per food after logging. Then it will total it for the day. You can look up the number of grams of protein in just about any food using a Google search. If you want to know how many grams of protein are in 3 oz of chicken/fish/beef, etc. Other foods contain proteins also. Dairy, eggs, some veggies, beans, nuts/seeds. I try and keep my protein high as that is what makes you feel full.

Here is today's meals as an example:

McDonalds Egg white delight egg mcmuffin Protein = 18
    McDonalds 1/2 hash brown patty Protein = 1

So breakfast was 19 grams of protein

Broccoli cheddar soup Protein = 9
    Brussel Sprouts Protein = 9

Lunch was 18 grams of protein

Arby's hot ham and cheese melt Protein = 14
    Bolthouse yogurt ranch dressing Protein = 1
    cauliflower Protein = 2
    mambo kids (italian chips) protein = 1

Dinner was 18 grams of protein

Plus, I had snacks that also contained protein grams.

Hope this helped you!
  • Linda_May1960
    Options
    What does 70 to 75 grams of protein look like? That's what I want to know. I need examples of it. I told her I have a food scale and she said it's not the size/ounces the portion of protein is, rather the content of protein. She told me to just enter the protein and it will calculate it for you. Thanks for your response, but you can't fix stupid (me)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Every time you log a food item on here, it tells you how much carbohydrate, protein, and fat is in that particular item. As you log additional foods during the day, MFP does the addition and shows you a total at the bottom of the page. So just log what you eat and look at the display of the totals. As you practice, you'll start to get a feel of when you need to add more protein to a day, or when you're hitting your numbers the way you want.
  • Linda_May1960
    Options
    Have you been logging your food intake? It will show you total grams of protein per meal/per food after logging. Then it will total it for the day. You can look up the number of grams of protein in just about any food using a Google search. If you want to know how many grams of protein are in 3 oz of chicken/fish/beef, etc. Other foods contain proteins also. Dairy, eggs, some veggies, beans, nuts/seeds. I try and keep my protein high as that is what makes you feel full.

Here is today's meals as an example:

McDonalds Egg white delight egg mcmuffin Protein = 18
    McDonalds 1/2 hash brown patty Protein = 1

So breakfast was 19 grams of protein

Broccoli cheddar soup Protein = 9
    Brussel Sprouts Protein = 9

Lunch was 18 grams of protein

Arby's hot ham and cheese melt Protein = 14
    Bolthouse yogurt ranch dressing Protein = 1
    cauliflower Protein = 2
    mambo kids (italian chips) protein = 1

Dinner was 18 grams of protein

Plus, I had snacks that also contained protein grams.

Hope this helped you!

Thank you! this makes more sense to me. Yes I have been tracking my meals.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What does 70 to 75 grams of protein look like? That's what I want to know. I need examples of it. I told her I have a food scale and she said it's not the size/ounces the portion of protein is, rather the content of protein. She told me to just enter the protein and it will calculate it for you. Thanks for your response, but you can't fix stupid (me)

I can't tell if you're trolling but different foods will contain different amounts of protein (or none at all), so asking what it looks like really has no bearing. When you log your food on this site or read a nutrition label it will tell you how many grams of protein are contained in the foods you eat. It will also give you a total protein count for each day. Match that up with your goals. Make sense?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to judge because protein density varies significantly depending on the food. For example even through Brussels sprouts contain protein A large pack of them will probably have under 10 grams total. Whereas a decent sized portion of chicken may have 50+. You can't just guesstimate this stuff if you want to stick exactly to your dieticians recommendation you have to run the numbers.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

the pound of Turkey I eat at lunch everyday is 72 grams of protein I believe.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I eat 0.8 x pound of body weight and its working for me. I dont know its going to work with you.
  • Linda_May1960
    Options
    Why do you think I'm trolling? I was just asking a question, maybe a stupid question to some, but not to me.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    MFP makes it ridiculously easy to monitor my protein. If I log all my food, there's a lovely total at the bottom of the page. It raises the protein requirement with exercise, too. I always aim to go over on the protein, but stay under the fat and carbs.

Also, recently I came across a new motto: Produce and protein. I like that. it reminds me to keep my meals focused on fruits and veggies and lean protein sources, and limit refined carbs and empty snacks.
  • Linda_May1960
    Options
    Thank you. I'm new at this carb/protein counting.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You can't see protein. 70 grams of protein doesn't look like anything. Things that contain protein, contain it in different amounts. You just have to enter a food in your diary and look up what it has in it. You can always delete things if you don't end up eating that thing. And you're probably not going to be eating a lot of foods that contain all of your 70 grams all in one meal. You might get 15-25 at breakfast, maybe 30 at lunch, and another 30 for dinner.

My diary is open if you want to peek at it.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Ignore the meanies. Quite a lot of us can politely answer questions. I guess some people feel that if you ask a question that most people on MFP already know the answer too then you must be stupid. They forget that the whole POINT OF THIS WEBSITE besides it's handy dandy tracking is to educate people in this regard. Bless their little cotton socks.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I guess we are saying it can look like like many, many different things.

8oz glass of reduced fat milk = 8 grams of protein
    egg = 6 grams of protein
    6oz chicken breast = approx 50 grams of protein

It all "looks" different. So nothing can be a uniform size.

I don't think you are stupid. Just needed more info.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 100g a day and try to get 20-30g at each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Then I supplement my snacks to fill the gap.

3 oz of chicken has about 20g. A serving of cheese has about 7-10g. Greek yogurt has 10-15g depending on brand. One egg has about 7g.

That's all I have off the top of my head.
  • Workinonit123
    Workinonit123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Meat is high in protein -- about 7 grams an ounce for lean meat, so 10 ounces.
    Egg whites have about 4 grams each, so 18 egg whites.
    Dairy has protein, but it varies quite a bit
    Nuts have a good bit of protein, but also a large amount of fat and calories
    Vegetables and fruit have almost no protein.

I agree with the lady who eats about 15 to 25 grams of protein per meal,
    Plus a little for snacks.
  • Linda_May1960
    Options
    Ignore the meanies. Quite a lot of us can politely answer questions. I guess some people feel that if you ask a question that most people on MFP already know the answer too then you must be stupid. They forget that the whole POINT OF THIS WEBSITE besides it's handy dandy tracking is to educate people in this regard. Bless their little cotton socks.

I appreciate your understanding. I do not know why others give some a hard time. It's more discouraging to read a negative comment. That doesn't belong in a place that we are trying to better our health and encourage others rather than putting them down. I haven't been posting much, but I thought to seek help here. Fortunately, most commenters have been supportive. I'm 121Ibs down and couple hundred more to go!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Look like this

image.jpg

image.jpg

About 9 ounces of filet mignon OR about 12 ounces of chicken breast
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This had 60, my typical breakfast. 70 grams is easy to hit over the course of a day.

image.jpg