Eating out at non-chain restaurants

nrheasley
nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
Any advice for logging food you didn't prepare yourself? I don't go out very often, but when I do, it's almost always a locally-owned bar or restaurant. I had a cup of chili and half a small basket of fries (I know, I know--but I just finished finals!), and I'm not sure how to go about logging it. Thanks!

Replies

• Tmm10910
    Tmm10910 Posts: 18 Member
    I usually just log something similar. I eat at local places a lot too and they never have nutritional info available.
  • nrheasley
    nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
    Do you just estimate amounts/serving sizes?
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Yeah I would just log something similar. If you notice the fries are particularly greasy or thick cut or something, I'd err on the higher calorie side. Sometimes you can kind of guess what it might be, but it can be deceiving. Don't beat yourself up about it, just don't make it a habit. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I've been known to count the number of fries I am eating and will then try and find something similar in the database. As for the chili, was it a cup or a bowl? Try and find something similar and then don't cut your calories too close that night.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Anything I've cooked or ordered from a fast food or chain restaurant becomes an excellent baseline. Otherwise yes I'd have to guess from a database entry.