Any recipes for salad/vegetables?

Options
sheilanavora
sheilanavora Posts: 15 Member
I really like eating broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots with at least one meal a day. Thing is I don't like eating them plain, but I keep getting ridiculed for eating it with ranch even when I make sure to be careful with the amount of ranch to eat. Are there any home made recipes for dressing that can make to put over my vegetables and salads that I can make while it still tasting as good as ranch does while still being healthy?

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hummus or tzatziki are both great healthy dips to eat veggies with
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure (sorry) what goes into a ranch dressing

I make a vinagrette (i use a little jar) and add nice oil (extra virgin olive or rapeseed) and nice vinegar (balsamic, or loganberry, or sloe) then a little honey and a little mustard - put the lid on and shape vigorously to emulsify

since i've been tracking calories, I've cut down a little on the oil:vinegar ration i used to do 3:1 now I do 2:1

play around and see what you get - I find the berry vinegars (made by my sister but you can get some like them in shops) reduce the amount of honey that i put in

but I also do like houmous nomnomnom
  • sheilanavora
    Options
    Thanks! I'll be sure to try these out!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I mix Hidden Valley powder with 99% fat free greek yogurt. Tastes delicious and ranchy without the calories.
  • AmbitiousBaby
    Options
    I know it sounds silly.....
    but adding a tablespoon of water to the suggested serving size will make the dressing go so much farther, resulting in using less dressing (less calories).
    I am getting so used to eating veggies, I barely use any dressing at all now! I actually crave good old raw veggies, delish! lol..... You will get used to it too.. just keep at it!
    I myself used to eat salad with my dressing :)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i really love making veggie battons (any veg but for me usually: fennel, celeriac, carrot, sweet potato, parsnip, brocolli, sugarsnap peas, mangetout) putting them in a paper parcel with a peice of fish on top and a little white wine (you could use stock or water instead) before sealing and baking in an oven for about 20 minutes (until the fish is cooked)

it's a one pot meal (with minimum washing up becasue of the paper parcel), that steams in its own juices (and the white wine)

it takes a little bit of prep with a knife and peeler - but it is worth the effort and actually very simple
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We make the following salad with a few adjustments to reduce the calories. 1.) Cut the amount of the honey mustard dressing in half 2.) Double the amount of salad mix, pears and grapes. 3.) Cut the amount of bacon in half

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Curried-Cashew-Pear-and-Grape-Salad/Detail.aspx?soid=recs_recipe_seed

The combination of the cashews, curry and rosemary is awesome.
  • sheilanavora
    Options
    Wow, these are all great suggestions! Thank you everyone, this has really helped :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Wow!! The noodles, mango & butter bean salad looks awesome. Thanks for posting this.