Oatmeal...

Options

Replies

• aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Try any of the peanut butter flavors here: www.theoatmealartist.com

I especially like the Salted PB/Chocolate Baked Oatmeal and the PB Cookie Baked Oatmeal. Deeee-lish!

(And she's vegan, if that matters)

Wowza, she has awesome ideas!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Canadian maple syrup and brown sugar plus walnuts and raisins if you want

ahh yaa
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1 cup almond milk
    then cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, banana, and brown sugar/maple syrup.

Or brown sugar, walnuts, and a little bit of chocolate chips.
  • LRinFL
    LRinFL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to start with a decent bowl of oatmeal. The best I've found is "Good Food Made Simple" steel cut oatmeal ... each box has 2 single serving containers that reheat in 3 minutes in the microwave. You'll find it in the frozen foods section of your Grocer.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My most favorite oatmeal: http://www.annies-eats.com/2012/10/01/apple-cinnamon-baked-oatmeal/

It is great, but only make half a batch! It makes a TON!
  • dwilks42
    dwilks42 Posts: 18
    Options
    You could try making oatcakes? I've been making loads of different flavoured ones recently eg. Coconut, Raisins, Summer Fruits.

Here's a recipe if your interested for the basic version;

100g Butter
    80g Demera Sugar (i use normal sometimes)
    140g Oats
    3 tbl spoon Golden Syrup (honey also works out quite nice)
    1 - 2 tbl spoon Peanut Butter
    And the fruit of your choice.

1. Mix the Oats/Peanut Butter/Fruit in a bowl
    2. Melt the Butter/Sugar and Syrup in a pan
    3. Combine everything in the bowl then pour it into a brownie tin
    4. Cook on a medium to high heat in the oven for approx 25min
    5. Check on it and increase time if needed.
    6. Once cooked cool and serve.

butter, sugar, and peanut butter? what part of that is healthy?

OP asked for appealing oatmeal recipes - no ingredient restrictions.

IIFYM, bro.

^ This. During Easter I cut off a Reester bunny's head and put that in my bowl of oatmeal with a banana. Friggin delicious.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I like to eat old fashioned rolled oats like a cold cereal. I do one half cup dry oats, 1 C milk, cinnamon, 2 T walnuts and a little sweetener sometimes.
  • fitlifemd
    fitlifemd Posts: 2
    Options
    In a separate bowl mix about 1 T of sugar free pudding mix with 2 T (almond) milk... Then stir into oatmeal after it's cooked
    I love the banana flavor but vanilla and cheesecake add such good flavor also!!
    Other ideas:
    -frozen berries.. They melt on top slowly and are sooo good
    -sliced almonds or granola.. I like a little crunch mixed into my oats
    -protein powder/peanut butter/almond milk - stir together to create runny paste.. Add on top after for protein packed sweet topping that's almost like frosting!

I love oatmeal though... I'll eat it any way
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I never cared for oatmeal until I switched from the instant stuff to the rolled oats and the Steele cut oats. I like adding raisins, walnuts, a little brown sugar or blackstrap molasses, a little cinnamon, and a little milk. I also like making savory oatmeal (instead of water, cook the oats in soup, lentils, beans, etc.). One of my favorite things to do with oats is make these banana oatmeal bars. They are great for an on the go snack.

3 small ripe bananas
    1/3 cup applesauce
    2 cups uncooked oats
    1/2 cup milk, whatever kind you use (I use nonfat cows milk)
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/8 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Mash the bananas and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Bake at 400 degrees in an 8 x 8 pan for 20 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 12 bars. Wrap each bar and store in the fridge. I like to eat them while they are cold.

These are great as is, or you can other stuff to them as you like. I've been adding 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and a little dark chocolate to my batches. Other add-on ideas...pecans, chocoate or carob chips, ground flax seed, pumpkin/pepita seeds, other kinds of dried fruit (cherry, dates, prunes, cranberries, etc.), coconut, etc.
  • yolandabreidenbaugh
    yolandabreidenbaugh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's funny to me that for many many years I felt I would not enjoy oatmeal without brown sugar or maple syrup of honey on it, but since starting with MFP, I just use 1 T of raisins and 1/4 whole milk and 1 T butter in my oatmeal and I like it much better!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Mine is no-cook, low cal, high protein and high fiber:

1/2c. rolled oats
    1/2c. unsweetened chocolate almond milk
    2tbsp. pb2 or chocolate pb2
    1tbsp cocoa powder
    pinch cinnamon
    1 large banana
    1/2c. plain yogurt

Blend in food processor. Dump in bowl. Enjoy.
    If you like it thicker, make it the same way and refrigerate it overnight. I've never heated it but I suspect you can't go wrong with it.

The version I made today came with 3/4 oatmeal instead. It was 532cal., but it kept me full until the late afternoon (and I ate it at 8am!).

:D
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You could try making oatcakes? I've been making loads of different flavoured ones recently eg. Coconut, Raisins, Summer Fruits.

Here's a recipe if your interested for the basic version;

100g Butter
    80g Demera Sugar (i use normal sometimes)
    140g Oats
    3 tbl spoon Golden Syrup (honey also works out quite nice)
    1 - 2 tbl spoon Peanut Butter
    And the fruit of your choice.

1. Mix the Oats/Peanut Butter/Fruit in a bowl
    2. Melt the Butter/Sugar and Syrup in a pan
    3. Combine everything in the bowl then pour it into a brownie tin
    4. Cook on a medium to high heat in the oven for approx 25min
    5. Check on it and increase time if needed.
    6. Once cooked cool and serve.

butter, sugar, and peanut butter? what part of that is healthy?

What part of it is unhealthy? You act like she asked the OP to put cyanide in it.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I usually put a fruit in it like a banana or apple, with peanut butter and brown sugar. but I've put nutella and coconut to make like a mounds kinda oatmeal. Or nutella peanut butter. Just throw what you like in there and see what happens.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to start with a decent bowl of oatmeal.

Those were my grandfather's words of wisdom. He was a farmer for the first 75 years of his life, lived to be 96, and was healthy up until the last 2 weeks. He insists that a bowl of oatmeal was why he lived so long (I'm sure healthy eating in general and hard physical labor had a bit to do with it too). I make my oatmeal simple: 1/2 c old fashioned oats, 1 c water, microwave for 2 minutes and add a little artificial sweetener.

Anyway, one of my favorite recipes:

Energy Bites

1 cup oatmeal
    ½ cup chocolate chips
    ½ cup peanut butter
    ½ cup ground flaxseed
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together, form into 12 balls and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you do NOT like oatmeal at all, I recommend stirring in 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter, depending how many calories you want to consume for breakfast. It is seriously delicious and adds protein with the carbs for a good balance, especially post workout. Of course, you have to like peanut butter! Crunchy peanut butter gives it a nice texture too.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Love all these ideas! I'm a big fan of coconut so the Mounds idea appeals to me. Also, I've tried those energy balls but had forgotten about them. Those would make a great on the go breakfast as well as a good addition to my five year old's lunch box! Thanks for all the ideas, I love how many of you are passionate about oatmeal!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Put crunchy nut peanut butter with your oatmeal

Or fruit

Nuts

A chopped banana

Sprinkle cinnamon
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    First off, try to find a texture you agree with. I personally favor overnight old fashioned oats in a crockpot. They get this wonderful pudding-like texture when you let them slowly absorb water* (I use unsweetened dairy alternative, hemp or almond) over a low heat as opposed to nuking them with boiling water.

A tablespoon of Justin's Maple (or vanilla!) almond butter seems like a treat to me.

Wild Friends chocolate sunflower butter tastes awesome stirred in when I can find it.

Then of course, some combination of the more traditional toppings maple/honey/agave/sugar 0.5-1.0 tsp with pumpkin pie spice, a splash of cream, fresh or dried fruit, and nuts or seeds.

Steel cut oats have a hearty texture and Bob's Red Mills make pretty good selections compared to the bargain stuff.

I'd avoid quick/one minute/instant mutilated oats. (Alton Brown has a good bit on "Good Eats" explaining why their texture and nutritional value aren't worth the supposed convenience of a marginally quicker meal. Maybe it's on YouTube?)
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why it's important to eat oatmeal if you don't like it? After all, whole grain bread, müsli, and several other grains can do the same for you as oatmeal, without having to work around your preferences.

And if you really want to get your oats but want a different taste and texture, I make oat-flour waffles or pancakes, because I can't have gluten. It's good, it's quick, it's healthy (if you skip the sugar.) I just use regular recipes, but add a bit more liquid relative to the flour, because oats get a bit more dry than wheat.
  • Robertepalmersr
    Robertepalmersr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes. Use old fashion (slow cooking) oat meal but cook it in the bowl you eat out of. Just put half a cup of oatmeal in the bowl with a cup of water and place it in the microwave on medium setting (I use 5) for 2.5 to 3 minutes. When you take it out (and you may have to slide a saucer under it because the bowl will be too hot to hold) pour Cary's sugar free syrup over it. Then from your freezer take a few spoons full of frozen blueberries and put on top. I get mine in 3 lb bags from Publix supermarket. They keep for a very long time. The combination makes for some very good eating. I hope you enjoy. Robert