Heart Rate Monitors: thoughts?

Options
Hi all. I'm new-ish to the fitness world of gyms and weights, but I have been looking into heart rate monitors to see exactly how hard I'm working. I feel like some of the auto calculations of caloric burn are a little off.

Anyone have any heart rate monitors they prefer? I'm thinking more on the belly band side, rather than just the watch.

THANKS!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A good place to start.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

also, HRMs calorie estimation formulas are based on steady state cardio activity. They are not accurate for weight lifting.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. LOVE it!
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to use my heart rate monitor? I just bought a Polar chest strap monitor because I wanted the best product. But...I don't know how to use it. I know I am supposed to use the bluetooth to connect to my smartphone, which I did. They are now "paired" Now what? How can I see the data that the monitor is recording? Thank you for any help and hope this isn't hijacking this thread too badly!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Have you tried googling it online... I did this with my Fitbit zip. I have a polar as well...I'm not sure about the Bluetooth but you can view what you have burnt and duration on your watch.. Have you fiddled around with your watch, setting etc.? Do you just have the chest strap??
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to use my heart rate monitor? I just bought a Polar chest strap monitor because I wanted the best product. But...I don't know how to use it. I know I am supposed to use the bluetooth to connect to my smartphone, which I did. They are now "paired" Now what? How can I see the data that the monitor is recording? Thank you for any help and hope this isn't hijacking this thread too badly!

I'm not trying to be a smart *kitten* but do you not have the users guide? Which model are you talking about? Is there an app that you need to download to see the info on your phone? And lastly, there is always Google or Bing, you can learn anything just using either of those two.
    Sorry I couldn't be more help but not knowing the model does make it difficult. Best of luck with it.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options

you'd need to be running a "bluetooth enabled" app of some sort to do the recording - Endomondo works pretty well from what I'm told, and integrates/posts workouts direct into MFP.

So you load the app on your smartphone, run the app, configure it to your height/weight/gender etc., tell it to use the HRM band, and then tell it to start recording. Do your workout, then press "stop" and it'll upload all the data to endomondo, which can be set to push the into through to MFP.
  • ladyargentum
    ladyargentum Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a Suunto M1 (heart rate monitor chest strap and watch). It was a gift but I love it. Watch allows me to see number of calories burnt during a workout, duration, heartrate, zone I am currently in and average heartrate from that workout. Also has a exercise history where you can look at the details of the previous workout or history trends.
    I hope you find something that works for you :)
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just got a Garmin Forerunner and so far love it. I was using apps on my phone that would calculate duration, distance and estimate Calorie Burn. Most phone apps (mapmyrun, runkeeper, s-health) that I use will allow a HRM to connect as well. I am using Garmen Connect right now to track my progress which means my phone is not needed but i use as a back up to compare data from the wrist unit and hrm to the phones estimations.

As said already it depends on activity, I am using for running and trying to reach my goal of a 5k race for sept 6. I think the HRM is perfectly suited for that. I can download my training plans to the watch and then follow the plan and monitor progress
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I have a really old Garmin but it still works, I have actually thought about getting one of the models that Walmart carries, they have all the functions of the more expensive HRM's at a fraction of the cost. The ones they carry now have coded bands so there's no outside interference which was the only major complaint that I had previously heard about them.
  • thom2369
    Options
    I have a Polar Wear Link Transmitter chest strap. It did not come with a watch and there was literally no information in the user guide besides how to wear the chest strap.

I was able to connect it to Run Keeper on my smart phone which then tracked my heart rate. So that is good enough for me for now.

Guess I need a watch if I want to use it to its full capabilities....
  • thom2369
    Options

you'd need to be running a "bluetooth enabled" app of some sort to do the recording - Endomondo works pretty well from what I'm told, and integrates/posts workouts direct into MFP.

So you load the app on your smartphone, run the app, configure it to your height/weight/gender etc., tell it to use the HRM band, and then tell it to start recording. Do your workout, then press "stop" and it'll upload all the data to endomondo, which can be set to push the into through to MFP.

Thank you! Going to to check out Endomodo app as well.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes, some of the burn rates on here are a little generous. Although I had one HRM / app combo that was equally generous, I now use a Garmin and love it!

It just feels more accurate and has the backup of their connect site too which is great for keeping track of my cycling and running. Not to mention has tons of data to keep my inner geek happy!
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is what I have.

I'm a big guy and it's really comfortable to me. No bunching up, pinching, or scratching. It's probably one of if not the most accurate out there.
    But like someone else said, only use it for steady cardio, not weights.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    hate hate hate the Polar ft60. did i mention how much i hated it. most of the time it didn't work and getting someone from polar to help was impossible. hate it. im a lifter, usually, and im at the point where i dont count any more. If im hungry i eat. if im not i dont. i know when i worked at 150% and i know when i should have stayed at home. Spend more time learning to listen to your body, really get to know it and you will not need to count anything. good luck :)
  • blackdiva48
    blackdiva48 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i see a lot of people that I follow on instagram they have the
    Polar FT 4 and the FT7 read up on that brand.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. LOVE it!

ditto!
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar FT7M for 2 /12 years and love it.
  • LPlovescake
    LPlovescake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. LOVE it!

I just got a Polar FT7 recently and love it too!
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I got the Garmin Vivofit bundle with the heart rate monitor strap and I LOVE IT, I can look at all the info on my wrist and unlike my old Polar watch it doesn't make noise. It sells for $169.99 but I got it for $127.99 from Sports Authority when they had a 25% off sale.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I love my Zephyr. It connects to my phone instead of a watch, and it works with a bunch of different apps. I'm using iCardio and Runkeeper currently. I would be bringing my phone along anyway for music and Zombies! Run! and some of the apps I use also have voice coaching ("Increase speed to stay in target zone"...that kind of thing) so they're super useful.