Time Management

Options
I feel like I am CONSTANTLY doing something related to my weight loss/health improvement program. Between tracking, planning, logging, measuring, eating, avoiding eating, working out, blogging, reviewing forums and networking -- I don't feel like there is any time to do anything else. I'm not saying that this level of intensity hasn't been beneficial but I am at a point where I need to scale it down a bit. I still have another 60 - 70 pounds to go so I have to maintain some of it but I am looking for suggestions on how to balance this and still have a life. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Stop going on the forums.. just track your calories...
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Meal prep and tracking the night before is helpful, but nothing should be more important than your health so it should take up your time.
  • stephiedaniel63
    Options
    Start using a tool that could give you support to track and manage the time. A time was there when I was very much distracted and now the hours tracking tool from Replicon ( http://www.replicon.com/olp/hours-tracking-software.aspx ) has made me streamline the process and maximize the productivity.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Between tracking, planning, logging, measuring, eating, avoiding eating, working out, blogging, reviewing forums and networking --

Tracking, planning, logging, measuring (weighing), eating are the only things necessary for weight loss

Working out for health

The rest aren't necessary esp the blogging and forums review...networking for support happens here easily without much effort.

Or multitask...you are female it's in your blood to do that...

I prelog my meals (planning/logging/tracking) all in one foul swoop
    Eating, measuring, weighing...one foul swoop (takes very little time)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have learned that for me to be successful with weight loss and weight management I have to treat it like a second job. Every single time I have stopped tracking and planning the weight just creeps back on. Maybe you could cut back on blogging and forums to once or twice a week.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    What's absolutely necessary? Someone mentioned those action steps already. I would also look over how I handle everything; can something be made in batches?

Meals planned for a week or two at a time? In particular if you're on a budget, it might be relevant to sit down when special offers appear where you are in the world, and plan the meals around those. This takes time on that day, but saves throughout the week when you consult your menu and can roll up the sleeves immediately/reheat leftovers.

Bought in batches once or twice weekly only? Some people shop daily but I don't have time for it nor does my wallet like it.

Meals prepared in large volumes so leftovers are created (I can't stand cooking every day)? Sometimes I feel more adventurous in the kitchen, other times not so much and meal planning is more about fuel management, utilitarian and repetitive.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agree. Forums and blogging are time killers.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I cook lunch and dinner for the week on Sunday. So, my entire week is pre-logged and accounted for. Easy.

You can do it all, you just have to do it differently than you have been.
    I actually haven't tried the copy feature in the diary yet, but it would be a huge time saver if portion sizes are the same.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options

That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

And I read it NOW! ;)
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree that too much time and energy can be spent on forums. I find that i really only get excited and learn more when i only check it out once or twice a week instead of throughout the day (which i found myself doing). It can be more addictive and more of a time suck than facebook! Keep your friends list lean and mean and handle your business. I've gotten really selfish with my workout time and you know what? it feels really good and nobody begrudges me.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    After awhile you should be able to just know what and how much you can and cannot eat.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP app and it takes very little time for me to log. Also doesn't take much time to weigh my food. Perhaps cut back on the social aspect, keeping in touch with 1-2 buddies directly rather than the forums, etc.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    After awhile you should be able to just know what and how much you can and cannot eat.

A really really really long while I'm
  • FatNFightingIt
    FatNFightingIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My OCD kind of took over for awhile. I have cut WAY back on the amount that I track. I just use MFP. If I find something especially interesting as it relates to my journey I will blog about it. I have recently went back to a simpler eating plan that didn't involve so many steps. I find that the more food I have in the house the less time it takes me to figure out what to eat since I have options that don't involve going to the store. Thanks all for the thoughts :)