Starvation mode is a myth!

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Good point and well explained. The real issue with extremely low calorie intake is that it can cause issues long term and does not lend itself to long term weight loss. You are absolutely correct in your assessment that measurement is the primary issue and over accounting of exercise calories is a likely problem. I usually try to eat back about 1/2 of mine rather than all. Why? Well, it is key to remember, if I just sit on my posterior and do NOTHING I'm burning some calories..... So, if I regularly burn say 50 calories for sitting and doing nothing for an hour and instead burn 200 calories walking my dog (which is funny... my dog is relatively athletic, but I seldom walk a consistent 4 mph while walking her... she likes to stop and sniff and eliminate too much)... But at any rate, we put in our diaries that we burned "200 calories walking for an hour" while in actuality, we only burned an extra 150 calories because we are only replacing our sedentary level with a more strenuous activity... It is 200-50 ... not 200.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I refuse to sit idly by and watch other people suffer the serious consequences that come with this issue, often promoted by people that make blanket statements about how it's impossible to gain when you are eating under the average BMR and who claim that you can't be fat and starving at the same time.
    ^
    Yagisama....do you see what we are talking about now? These special snowflakes?

If you have a caloric deficit, you WILL lose weight NO EXCEPTIONS. The metabolism may slow down but never to the point where you stop losing or even gain.

Thank you amwbox and mrm27....great info there.

Yes, I am beginning to understand the issue at hand. It's definitely not worthwhile to discuss extreme/unlikely conditions given that we are currently dealing with ideas of creating something from nothing.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    No starvation please. Because "Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation" and that is not good.:blushing:

Eh, a couple bad first dates will cause the same thing. Why worry?
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    my body is ALWAYS in starvation mode... no matter how much I eat.
  • Housekat61
    Housekat61 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im ordering a food scale now. My daughter was showing me the difference in portion between using measuring and using the scale ...now Ive seen the light and am changing my method.:smile:
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have a guy at work who loves to remind me every day that he is on a low carb (10 carbs or less a day) diet. He also loves to tell me that my continuous cardio will stop be from burning calories. IE being on an ARC machine for 30 minutes means after 10 my body will no longer burn calories.
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Wrong answer.

I am assuming you are referring to the amino acids that are used in making glucose in the fat-burning mode, and presumably the case is you eat a low enough carb diet..

The preferentially used amino acids come from LABILE proteins, like enzymes and smooth muscles. Only as a very last resort will skeletal muscle or brain protein be used.

Yes, gluconeogenesis is the term your describing.

Surely you mean "Wrong Word" right?

the conclusion you reached using "smooth muscle" is exactly what I described. Did I say skelatal? No.

Fine your body breaks down amino acids for energy.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What a great post! Thank you!
  • lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use VLC to mean very low carb but nevertheless, I won't argue your point because all I have is N=1 to go from.

I don't think that I've EVER eaten very low CALORIES, ha! I've seen some people on here who eat 700 a day AND workout (not saying net cal). I don't know how they do it cos I'm a girl who eats!

For about 18 months in my mid-20s, I couldn't shift some weight that I'd have preferred not having, though I was eating nothing above 1400 calories a day -- tracking religiously -- and I worked out the norm for back then: running 3mi/ 3x/wk and ST twice a week with girlie weights (you know what I mean, it was the early 90s).

I was NOT told that I was in starvation mode but I basically said, 'I'm tired of feeling restricted' and began eating more. I am SURE that they were UNhealthy choices. Knowing myself, it was probably pizza. I went from 122 to 112 doing the same workouts, the only difference was I'd upped my calorie intake to 1800-2000 a day.

::shrugs:: This lasted years and I never dropped down to where I'm SUPPOSED to eat again (nothing over 1400) -- unless I'm trying to lean out but even then, I eat more than what 'they' say I should.

I think there's something going on with leaning when we fuel their workouts.

I also think when most people say they've plateaued, they're not tracking their intake and expenditure correctly, 100% of the time. But I *was* tracking and I dunno. What they say to do was definitely not 'my' zone!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    People don't stay away from the starvation mode because it makes them not lose fat. People stay away because it is unhealthy to deprive your body of essential fruits, veggies, vitamins, and minerals. Your body will feed on muscle first. That's why you continue to lose. That's why starving people are weak but a lot don't die on very little calories. The body knows how to survive. If starvation mode weren't existent, doctors would put all overweight patients on 500 calorie diets. Some of what you say is true: you will lose SOME fat and your metabolism from one week of VLCD won't be harmed much, but there is such a thing as starvation mode.

Edit to say: this is why people who suffer from anorexia have bodies that look unhealthy. They are "skinny fat people". All fat and no muscle due to starvation mode

wrong.gif
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    MFP right away had me at 1200 cal per day. i have mostly stuck to that and have been losing like im supposed to. i weigh and measure everything i can. there are days that i go over (a few times alot) and most days i am under. i exercise and eat almost all of my calories back. i have read so many posts that say not to go that low and heres all these bad reasons why. well every week i am down just like im supposed to be and i dont feel tired or weak or starving. i averaged out my calorie intake from day 1 until now and i average 1500 cal a day without counting my exercise. ive tried going by my tdee and all this other scientific stuff. But what works for me is if im losing im gonna keep doing what im doing if i stop or gain well i adjust as needed.

im not thin this is my second time on mfp and this time im going all the way. the difference is this time i figured out how to make it work for me.

thank you for this post OP. it was needed!! :smile:
  • addictedpeach
    addictedpeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I have been really frustrated when I feel like I have lost but the scale isn't budging. This is usually when I give up.

I guess I will keep going and see what results I do get :)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have a guy at work who loves to remind me every day that he is on a low carb (10 carbs or less a day) diet. He also loves to tell me that my continuous cardio will stop be from burning calories. IE being on an ARC machine for 30 minutes means after 10 my body will no longer burn calories.
    1st, why the HECK would anyone do 10g or less of carbs a day? I'm a ketogenic diabetic who rarely does less than 40, and in-order to do HIIT or strength-training often have up to 75 ...

2nd ... regarding the stoppage of burning calories from continuous exercise ...

3910842518_stupid_people_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If starvation mode didn't exist, how did Hurley stay so fat on the island on LOST?! :tongue:
  • onlylosing
    onlylosing Posts: 2
    Options
    TL;DR but i thought id put my 2 cents worth in anyway

okay so we should all know that we get our energy from food (i mean, calories are literally just units of energy). we need food to live an all that. but as far as i know from experience (and health class), starvation mode appears to just be a plateau from the lack of vitamins that encourage the metabolic cells to do their work. without these, we can't turn fat (or protein or carbs) into useful forms of energy. and we all know that these metabolic cells go for the carbs first, then the fat and then the protein.

once again, starvation mode is just a lack of vitamins.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to call BS. You can get in all the micro nutrients you need on a low caloric intake. What vitamins are you referring to specifically? How much of said vitamin do you need to encourage the metabolic cells? And what are the metabolic cells? I've taken a lot of bio courses and I haven't a clue of what you are talking about.

Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6 and B9 all contribute to the process of metabolism. (:
    It really depends how low calorie we are talking about, here. I was thinking like less than 600 and also, once again, it really matters on what kind of food you are eating. I guess I was kind of basing this off of my diet, but most people here probably eat really well haha.
  • pamgbrl
    pamgbrl Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing - i am just beginnging my journey and i really enjoyed reading your post!
  • oxsarahhxo
    oxsarahhxo Posts: 51
    Options
    OP i literally love you
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, I tend to agree. I've been on 1,200 calories a day for three months, and I feel better than I ever have. I have energy to spare and I'm sleeping great. I'm eating more protein, lifting weights, and seeing a decrease in fat while muscle is on the increase. I have about 15 more pounds to go, I'm losing a steady amount each week, and I have not plateaued a bit.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    1st, why the HECK would anyone do 10g or less of carbs a day? I'm a ketogenic diabetic who rarely does less than 40, and in-order to do HIIT or strength-training often have up to 75 ...

2nd ... regarding the stoppage of burning calories from continuous exercise ...

3910842518_stupid_people_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

I tend to try to ignore his little statements like that. He can be quite the pain in the *kitten*.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If starvation mode didn't exist, how did Hurley stay so fat on the island on LOST?! :tongue:

why do you think people kept "disappearing"?