Other weight loss apps/tools you like?

Options
melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
Does anyone use any other weight loss apps besides MFP that they like? The only other one I use is Simple Weight Recorder (free on Android). It is exactly that- simple and I weigh daily and log it in there. It tells me daily how far I am from goal, charts my history, gives me my BMI assessment, etc.

What other good apps am I missing that are out there that all of you are using?
What is the app's platform (Android, Iphone)?
Does it cost or is it free?

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like TargetWeight on the iPhone. it gives you a great visual of your goal and what the BMI is. it also gives you stats on how you've done. and days to target that you chose. I really like the visual of it. I also like iGoal- Weight Informer. This gives you an independent verification of the number of calories per day you should be eating. I love MFP, but just wanted a second opinion.

Both of these apps are on the iPhone. There is a Target Weight for over 20 lbs to lose and one for 13-19. not sure of the difference, but both are free. iGoal has a free version and a $1.99 version, not sure of the difference, but I went with the free version.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you do strength training, Fitclick.com has a great "calories burned" calculator. Much more accurate than the "one size fits all" approach that MFP uses.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like www.fatsecret.com only to compare calories. It gives a great breakdown of calories per ounce. I've found it quite accurate since there are so many options to choose from in the MFP food database. That's all I use it for, though, it does have many of the same features as MFP.
  • rianguiano
    rianguiano Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use something similar to what you are using already. Its called LIBRA weight management (free on android). I love it. Wish I know as well about other cool apps to keep us motivated.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump

any more??
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Cronometer for vitamins and minerals. Have yet to find anything better.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    For workouts I use iCardio and Runkeeper and a Zephyr heart rate monitor which feeds directly to my phone. Both apps have a ton of info about your workouts, and they feed into MFP.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love my UP app - it's a wrist pedometer and the app connects to MFP to tell you approximate calorie expenditure throughout the day. And for actual running entertainment, I like Zombies, Run! :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Fitocracy is where I track my workouts.

Solid thread bump :angry:
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • momiji166
    momiji166 Posts: 32
    Options
    I like the weekly report my fitbit gives me each week.
  • lyoill
    lyoill Posts: 59
    Options
    bump
  • Chargaile
    Chargaile Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex which syncs with MFP. I have Map My Ride downloaded on my android phone. It also syncs with MFP. The map my ride also has map my walk as well. It is a free app.
  • 2cBill
    2cBill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    GYM BOSS is a very simple tool that you clip on like the old pagers use to. You can set it to vibrate or beep *can do both at same time* when a certain time is reached. Great for interval training or just setting for a simple 30 min walk goal. Heck I use mine for cooking lol..

It's main use by me is to let me know when I have had enough rest in between weight lifting sets. I don't mind hanging out until I feel fully ready for the next set, but I don't want to jump back in too soon.

-COUCH to 5k app- I'm sure you have heard of this one, but man is it nice to just have someone tell you when to run and when to rest. You can fully focus on jogging / walking and enjoy the workout soo much more imo.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use something similar to what you are using already. Its called LIBRA weight management (free on android). I love it. Wish I know as well about other cool apps to keep us motivated.

I use Libra for my daily weight recording. Gives me a nice average and such too. Found it better than DroidWeight for daily weigh ins due to the moving average.

Used DroidWeight for ages before deciding to record daily, and that's pretty good. You can track measurements/body fat with that one too.

I used to use FatSecret but wasn't really interested in the recording capabilities, just weight/community, so can't really comment on that.

The AllRecipes Dinner Spinner is good for recipe ideas you can try and make/replace for low calorie stuff. Not a weight loss tool, really, but good for ideas based on type of meal, time and main ingredient.

Sworkit is really good for exercises - different types of exercise, your pick, with time choices and such. Good for the casual calisthenics I've found. Can't recommend it enough.

I also find UnitConverter handy for turning kg into lbs or st/lbs... cause losing 1 stone in weight sounds better than 6.5kg (to me) so it helps encourage me. And I'm often after a more accurate figure than multiplying/dividing by 2.2 XD

ETA: All have free options (which I use) on an Android phone. Forgot to mention that, sorry.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I currently use the following apps on my andriod

Mapmywalk..syncs to MFP
    Maymyride ditto
    SL 5x5 does not sync (which is fine)

And of course MFP...but that's it for me.
  • jahzbuttafly
    jahzbuttafly Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Where do I begin????:blushing:
    these are the apps I use religiously on the Android platform
    Myfitnesspal
    Fitbit
    Run Double (running app)
    Zombies Run (walking/running app)
    Runkeeper (multi exercise)
    Water your body (water tracking app)
    Simple Workout Log (strength app)
    Fooducate (identifies by scan and grades the food item an A, B, C, etc)
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Mapmyrun for when I run and myWOD for crossfit workouts.

Saw an app on here the other day called "healthyout" and you put in where you're eating, any calorie goals or nutrition goals, and it tells you what on the menu fits them. Haven't tried it yet, but looks awesome.

Mapmyrun and healtyhyout are free, paid like 1.99 for mywod.
  • Moyer22
    Moyer22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have Android and I use MapMyFitness for my runs and bike rides. It's really nice because you start your workout and the GPS tracks everything- distance, elevation, speed/split times, route, calories. They have a version you pay for but I just have the free one and it does everything I need it to. I love it because I just strap my phone to my arm with a cheap holder I bought (http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Workout-Running-Armband-Samsung/dp/B00CTGPT1I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1399554658&sr=8-9&keywords=exercise+phone+band+galaxy+4) and use Pandora for music too. If you have a big phone it seems awkward at first but it stays put and doesn't bother me.

I also have one called "A HIIT Interval Timer". I'm sure there are a lot like it, but I use that one if I'm doing timed sets. It's easy to set up what you want to do and once you start it'll beep after every segment so you don't have to count or watch it.

:)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I also use MapMyRide for biking and Zombies 5K for running motivation (working my way up to the regular Zombies game) And I have JeFit which gives detailed instructions and a little video for just about any exercise move you can think of. It comes in handy in the gym if I'm feeling a bit lost on how to do something.