Tai Chi

Options
I have always wanted to take up martial arts but due to my fluffyness, I have put it off. I found out that a neighboring suburb offers free tai chi classes two nights a week.

Has anyone taken tai chi before? Is it a good start for someone who is just starting out? Or is there a better form of martial arts to start with?

Replies

• tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I would equate Tai Chi to Yoga, not martial arts. They always show groups of people standing in a park, doing flowing movements, holding poses, etc.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My mother, who's in her 70s, does Tai Chi.

It's good for calming and "centring" your thoughts, but it's not a particularly strenuous workout.

But if there are free classes on offer, try it and see!
  • Elsiebeanns
    Elsiebeanns Posts: 14
    Options
    My mother, who's in her 70s, does Tai Chi.

It's good for calming and "centring" your thoughts, but it's not a particularly strenuous workout.

But if there are free classes on offer, try it and see!

Thanks! I think I will try it. First class is tonight.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Tai Chi (esp since it's free), however don't let your "fluffyness" deter you from another martial art. I started Tang Soo Do 9 months ago at above 285. It's a great workout and very empowering. Check out local studios and instructors and sit in on a class or two. Talk with the instructors about any concerns you have. In our studio, they were very clear to tell us to do the best we could without pushing ourselves too far. My husband and I have each lost over 20 pounds and are much more fit now. Plus, we love it!
  • Elsiebeanns
    Options
    Definitely try the Tai Chi (esp since it's free), however don't let your "fluffyness" deter you from another martial art. I started Tang Soo Do 9 months ago at above 285. It's a great workout and very empowering. Check out local studios and instructors and sit in on a class or two. Talk with the instructors about any concerns you have. In our studio, they were very clear to tell us to do the best we could without pushing ourselves too far. My husband and I have each lost over 20 pounds and are much more fit now. Plus, we love it!
    Thanks! I will check it out.
  • shamang_followtheway
    Options
    Hi elsiebeanns

Do not delay, you need to do this now!!!! combine with Qigong or yoga on different days
  • Ichaange
    Ichaange Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the style - I do Chen style and it isn't as "fluffy" as people think. My background is in karate, and I can sincerely tell you that kicking and punching, while invigorating, is a lot easier to do than moving slowly and holding a pose. It most definitely strengthens the legs as well as working the core. Just depends on the style and the teacher's knowledge of the art.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Tai Chi (esp since it's free), however don't let your "fluffyness" deter you from another martial art.

^^^this....

If it's free - give it a try!!! But I started Body Combat ( combination of boxing, karate, muai thai, etc. ) classes at around 280 lbs and I'll never regret it! Best decision ever :)

And ENJOY it :flowerforyou:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi is very good for centering mentally. I've never done it but lots of people in my city do it, and I see them when I'm out running. I'd take a class if I found one, it looks relaxing and youre moving, so it's certainly helping the cause to be healthy head to toe :)
  • gunshyangel78
    gunshyangel78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tai chi is actually martial arts based, I have done both Tai Chi and gigong, and omg I hurt the next day, gigong was all stretches and holding poses, sure they are slow paced but they are much harder than you think. That being said they are both awesome. And FYI, I was doing both of these at 375lbs!
  • brownmara
    brownmara Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Absolutely try it! I took Chi Gong classes at 300 plus pounds, because I needed to work on balance and flexibility. You can't go wrong with a free class.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would equate Tai Chi to Yoga, not martial arts. They always show groups of people standing in a park, doing flowing movements, holding poses, etc.

I disagree somewhat

I do Tai Chi and while it can be those flowing movements, it is also a martial arts and can be used for self defense.

You should see my teacher move when she shows us how it looks when you move fast.
    We spend a portion of the class actually practicing sparring using the moves we learned. Every form we learn she shows us how it can be used for self defense.

Take it, try it, its wonderful
  • Elsiebeanns
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement and suggestions! I really appreciate it. :happy:
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

We spend a portion of the class actually practicing sparring using the moves we learned. Every form we learn she shows us how it can be used for self defense.

I didn't know that, thanks!