Not new to MFP, but newly committed! I need support!

Options
Thanks for clicking the title to come see me :)

I'm Kara, 24 and living in Wisconsin. As I mentioned, I am not new to MFP... I've used it (sparingly) for probably a few years now. However, as I have recently reached my highest weight ever, I am committing myself to tracking and also searching for support from the vast community here.

A little about my past with weight issues ~
In high school, I would estimate that I weighed a little over 200 LBS. I never weighed myself, so I couldn't know for sure. Shortly after graduating, I found a community of weight loss blogs on Xanga. I joined and started to blog my daily intake/outtake, and found friends to encourage. I was most successful (weight loss-wise) during this time in my life. However, looking back, I feel like I was not quite doing it the healthy way. I didn't avoid eating or anything like that, but I became so obsessed with avoiding bad foods - and situations where bad foods might arise, that I became very withdrawn and didn't really like to go out or see friends. I was working out six days per week. I remember my lowest weight being about 130 (I'm 5'3). All of these factors probably attributed to the fact that I put all that weight back on, if not more.

I remember starting the Depo Provera shot and gaining 20 lbs in about two months. After that I was able to sort of stabilize the gaining, but ended up adding about 10lbs/year ever since.

I'm nearly 25 now, and back up to 200 lbs. My goal is to be somewhere in the 140's. My ULTIMATE goal is to create a better relationship with food. I've always been an emotional eater - and I've always viewed food as a "reward" (aka, I ate decently for breakfast & lunch so now I deserve Buffalo Wild Wings for supper).

I'm in a great relationship with 'D', we live together and he's also gained some weight in the last six months or so. Probably due to my cooking.....

Sorry, I know this is getting long. Basically what I'm aiming for is to find that same support and sense of community that I did when I was 19 and on Xanga. I think it kept me accountable. I want to find a niche that works for me - I know that I can't completely eliminate all the "bad" foods, I need to find a balance (AND PORTION CONTROL.) Lol.

Are there any other yo-yo'ers out there? Anyone else just starting out? Would love to hear from any & all of you!

Replies

• theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm back again too. Hoping to make it a lifestyle change.
  • laststraw36
    Options
    I'm newly committed as of today also.. you could add me as a support friend... I would like to make new friends here as I don't have many friends .. none that I know that uses this program. but anywho good luck on our journey
  • Glasseschickadee
    Glasseschickadee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Since this time last year I have regained the 40 pounds I had lost. Now I'm more dedicated than ever to lose the weight and keep it off! We can do this
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have recently recommitted to a healthier lifestyle. Will happily provide encouragement and support when needed! ????
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    WOW! - That was fast! You guys are awesome. I am adding everyone who posted here... um, once I figure out how haha.

Also, if anyone has tips for how to get a veggie-HATER to at least tolerate vegetables... please please please post here. (I'm the hater lol)
  • miafrancis85
    miafrancis85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting over again! I am on MFP for couple probably 2 years and I am on and off. When I was dedicated I did lose 5 pounds, but then got off track and gained 20!!!!! Feel free to add me =)
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm a recently committed againer too. I used mfp to lose 56 lbs in 2012 then i sort of fell off the band wagon and got pregnant and fastforward to today, I have a beautiful almost 9 month old put back on almost all the weight i lost.

Last tuesday I decided to lose this weight once and for all and have been logging ever since. I just ordered a fitbit as well to try and motivate me to add in some exercise too.

Add me if you want :)
  • GidgetWannaBe
    GidgetWannaBe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I joined a month ago just a few pounds shy of 200 and I'm fully in it for the long haul this time too.
    Feel free to add me. We can do it. Little, doable goals have been the key for me.
  • ladylambeau
    Options
    I will, Claire! I am also doing a little research on the FitBit today. Your kiddos are adorable!
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Just started here on myfitness pal, so I'm not really sure what to expect!

So, I thought I'd just say hello, and if anybody else is just starting out and fancies a buddy in the same situation to talk to then I'm here and happy to.
  • dcshellz
    dcshellz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also, if anyone has tips for how to get a veggie-HATER to at least tolerate vegetables... please please please post here. (I'm the hater lol)

Most will probably say hide the vegetables, I say make them the star, much like you would your animal protein. Find the flavors or style of cooking you like and start there. ex. I hated broccoli, love asian cooking, started there and now I actually crave it. What we most associate food especially vegetables with is the way we had it when it was awful and refuse to ever eat it again... when we should various ways, to prepare or leave raw. The taste is varying. I even found i like roasted beets, just not the stuff in a can jar or on salad bars. Now if I can just get over the brussel sprout hump....:wink:
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hey :) I'm not new but always open to new friends. Anyone can add me.
  • dcshellz
    dcshellz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a recently committed againer too. I used mfp to lose 56 lbs in 2012 then i sort of fell off the band wagon and got pregnant and fastforward to today, I have a beautiful almost 9 month old put back on almost all the weight i lost.

Last tuesday I decided to lose this weight once and for all and have been logging ever since. I just ordered a fitbit as well to try and motivate me to add in some exercise too.

Add me if you want :)

Good Luck!
  • Narivsa
    Narivsa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back! I'm new to MFP & started yesterday. But we can keep each other motivated & give support. I had lost weight & gained double the heaviest I have ever been :sad: So I am commuted to turn this around for the better. We can do this!
    Thanks for clicking the title to come see me :)

I'm Kara, 24 and living in Wisconsin. As I mentioned, I am not new to MFP... I've used it (sparingly) for probably a few years now. However, as I have recently reached my highest weight ever, I am committing myself to tracking and also searching for support from the vast community here.

A little about my past with weight issues ~
    In high school, I would estimate that I weighed a little over 200 LBS. I never weighed myself, so I couldn't know for sure. Shortly after graduating, I found a community of weight loss blogs on Xanga. I joined and started to blog my daily intake/outtake, and found friends to encourage. I was most successful (weight loss-wise) during this time in my life. However, looking back, I feel like I was not quite doing it the healthy way. I didn't avoid eating or anything like that, but I became so obsessed with avoiding bad foods - and situations where bad foods might arise, that I became very withdrawn and didn't really like to go out or see friends. I was working out six days per week. I remember my lowest weight being about 130 (I'm 5'3). All of these factors probably attributed to the fact that I put all that weight back on, if not more.

I remember starting the Depo Provera shot and gaining 20 lbs in about two months. After that I was able to sort of stabilize the gaining, but ended up adding about 10lbs/year ever since.

I'm nearly 25 now, and back up to 200 lbs. My goal is to be somewhere in the 140's. My ULTIMATE goal is to create a better relationship with food. I've always been an emotional eater - and I've always viewed food as a "reward" (aka, I ate decently for breakfast & lunch so now I deserve Buffalo Wild Wings for supper).

I'm in a great relationship with 'D', we live together and he's also gained some weight in the last six months or so. Probably due to my cooking.....

Sorry, I know this is getting long. Basically what I'm aiming for is to find that same support and sense of community that I did when I was 19 and on Xanga. I think it kept me accountable. I want to find a niche that works for me - I know that I can't completely eliminate all the "bad" foods, I need to find a balance (AND PORTION CONTROL.) Lol.

Are there any other yo-yo'ers out there? Anyone else just starting out? Would love to hear from any & all of you!
  • ladylambeau
    Options
    dcshellz - thank you for the advice! You're right, I associate most vegetables with how they were made for me when I was a kid. I have been experimenting lately, hopefully I can start to find my groove soon. I think a big part of it for me is texture, rather than taste. Broccoli feels like brains in my mouth (blech). Just gotta keep on, keepin' on I guess!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

Great story. Glad you see what needs to be changed.

I'd love to help you do this and watch your journey as you learn a new relationship with Food and you and your BF get healthy!!!!

You can do this! You will FEEL so much better when you do.

Happy Day 1!

Add me if you'd like

Nancy
  • sparklefly74
    sparklefly74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have been the committed user that I need to be and somehow my weight has slowly crept up to close to the 200 mark, which is a first for me.
  • wildkitten_01
    Options
    Hey just stick at it! It's hard but you have to remain strong!
  • pntbttrsmomma
    pntbttrsmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Like you, I am not new to MFP but really trying in the last couple weeks to re-focus. I need people to give me a kick in the butt once in a while. I have a baby (11 months) I work M-F and drive over an hour one way to work. I need to find a way to make this work. Anyone please feel free to add me!

Good luck!!
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Always happy to have more friends, joined MFP in March and have lost almost 11lbs to date.