Burning 1000+ calories with exercise several days in a row?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

As for Hornsby's comment: I can easily burn 1200 calories from cycling for two hours. My average rides burn 500-600 calories/hour. If I push myself, I can easily go over 600 calories/hour. Starting next Friday, I'll be riding 3-4 hours every Friday. There will be big calorie burns.

I was asking the OP as I was curious what the OPs HRM was used to track since tons of people seem to think that an HRM is accurate for all activities. I cycle as well and can burn 1000 in an hour if I push myself :) Wasn't questioning if it was possible, just the accuracy.
  • positivity1967
    Options
    hi

do you cycle a lot or run a lot. same as you, i can burn off 1200 calories cycling for an hour or so and then its incredibly hard to eat back all those burnt off calories in one day so its no wonder your losing quite a bit in a month. that said, its also very addictive, seeing the scales go down so i wonder if secretly your very pleased how its working out and have no intention of doing anything else anyway? just a thought

I highly doubt those burns are accurate. I'm not in the greatest shape (the larger you are, the more you burn) and I can only get a 600 calorie burn per hour when I bust my butt on my bike. I'm using an HRM with VO2 MAX input. I trust it to be fairly accurate.

well yes it is accurate. i used two different ways of calculating burn, both are pretty much the same. i did say over or hour so btw!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced that people that burn 1000+ calories in a day by exercising either don't work or don't sleep.

For me, that's about 80 minutes of running, about 120 minutes of road cycling or rowing so not unrelistic. Of course they're the days I'm not spending 4 hours travelling to and from work.
  • positivity1967
    Options
    I'm convinced that people that burn 1000+ calories in a day by exercising either don't work or don't sleep.

its called me time lol
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

I work from home and keep my cell on me in case I get a call. I do my walks around the 1-mile block I live on so I'm never far if I need to get back, and my apartment gym is 20 yards from my front door.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

meh- or it's part of their hobby.

Typical monday for me
    8-430 desk job work
    5-645- gym with heavy lifting
    7-10 dance classes

puts me near 1000 calories easily.

I both work- and sleep. (although admittedly not as much as I should be LOL)
  • kayscholl93
    kayscholl93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work part-time and I come home and I do my workouts during the evening, or I take a rest day typically once a week. On days off, I do tons of housework and exercise.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For the past year, I've been trying to lose about 70 pounds. I'm about 15 pounds away from my goal. But I've been told that my approach is very dangerous and it needs to be changed.

I LOVE exercising. I exercise 6 days a week for sure, sometimes 7 days a week if I can't help myself. I exercise sporadically through out the day for hours, and burn over 1000 calories. I also have a HRM to monitor these calories burned. So my question is, on days I burn about 1200 calories with exercise, how much should I be eating? This is very important: I've been told to NET 1200 calories, so if I burn 1200 cals with exercise, then I need to eat 2200 calories that day. However, I've tried this and ended up either gaining or maintaining, and I have NO idea why. How is that even possible?

There are some days where my NET calories are at -50 for that day. Don't get me wrong, I lose about 8-10 pounds a month with this approach, but my friends and family are worried about me. I need to find out what else I can do...?

I am not a doctor nor do I have any physical trainer qualifications. I am a people observer and the first thought that came to mind was it appears (at least to me) you are still living a compulsive addictive life. It just seems (again, just my opinion from what little you posted) that you have just traded one extreme for another, you've just gone to the complete opposite end. For me to burn the amount of calories you claimed I would have to either do two hours of running or high intensity aerobics every day. I'm a pretty fit guy and two hours a day 6 to 7 days a week would take a toll on my body.

Exercise is for our fitness and health, not so much to lose weight. We lose weight by living a self-controlled diet. I've known people who were once very overweight and lived for food who just exchanged the compulsion for living to workout, either abuse takes a toll on the body. I would suggest finding someone who can guide you into a more balanced lifestyle. That would be my concern.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Over 40 hours a week, sleep about 7 hours. I average more than 7K burn per week, but don't do 1000 daily.
  • kayscholl93
    Options
    Just realized... I think you're absolutely right, and you said it all.
    I am obsessed. There isn't a day where I don't think about weight loss and exercising and how much I want to reach my goal. I'm pushing extremely hard every single day. I need to slow down a bit!

Thank you for that.
  • kayscholl93
    Options

I work part time at the moment. In 3 months, I'll be switching to full time though, so it looks like my exercising is going to slow down a bit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed. There isn't a day where I don't think about weight loss and exercising and how much I want to reach my goal. I'm pushing extremely hard every single day. I need to slow down a bit!

Thank you for that.

2+ pound per week loss with the amount you have left to lose is probably overly aggressive (it was to start as well). It's time to take a step back and assess your caloric needs ... do the math based on current weight and a sensible weekly loss goal ... and progress from there. Or you could continue on your current path which is a bit obsessive and might not be the most healthy way to approach the issue.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Thank you for that.

It's very important to maintain a mentally healthy relationship with fitness and nutrition or acquire it with regards to weight management if you're going to maintain for life. It's easy to get burnt out or seriously injure yourself doing what you're doing. Overtraining can be rather serious.

If all you think about is calories and working out to burn more, then I'd say that you need to think about whether this is how you want to live or not. If not, then there's no reason you can't continue to lose weight and later maintain that loss with a moderate level of exercise and a healthy consistent diet. It's not a race. You didn't gain overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight.

I'd suggest adding in some non-weight related fitness goals that will at least direct the energy you have into something tangible and away from the scale for a while.
  • JessieSky
    JessieSky Posts: 79
    Options

:laugh: It does feel that way on days like that. {The sleep thing, anyway.}
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000+ a day (with a full time job and a household). I do not "always" eat back my workout calories. If I eat back some it's usually minimal (under 500). I've found success and I'm sticking with it. Do what works for your body ....
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    To OP have you being readjusting your weight on your HRM?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    However, I've tried this and ended up either gaining or maintaining, and I have NO idea why. How is that even possible?

I just want to comment on this part of your OP. When you've increased calories, how long have you waited before deciding it's not working?

It's not unusual to see a water weight/glycogen increase on the scale if you increase your calories suddenly, and that can take a few weeks to taper off. You need to give any changes to your routine 3-4 weeks before deciding whether or not they're working.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options

Thank you for that.

Well done. Congratulations on getting to the bottom of your question. Seriously, well done.
  • antnya
    antnya Posts: 2
    Options

I burn right around 900 calories every other day with one hour of HIIT. Then again, I AM 274 pounds. 5'11" with a large frame and 37% body fat.

The start of this has been easy to burn, but as I drop weight, I will find it even harder. Not sure what OP is doing, but good luck to you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I burn right around 900 calories every other day with one hour of HIIT. Then again, I AM 274 pounds. 5'11" with a large frame and 37% body fat.

The start of this has been easy to burn, but as I drop weight, I will find it even harder. Not sure what OP is doing, but good luck to you.

not for nothing- if you are doing HIIT for one hour- you're doing it wrong.