About how much are "good" running shoes?

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    this is ridiculous. the necessity and truth in gait analysis has about as much validity as body type categorization (endomorph, mesomorph, etc).

It's fair to say that running, as any industry, goes through a trend cycle; cushioned, supportive and minimalist as the dominant trend. Minimalist has been in the forefront for a coupe of years, cushioned appears to be emerging. The cost of minimalist shoes is eye watering, which does reflect their positioning in the market at the moment. As part of the cycle I'd anticipate a rebalancing of relative costs over the next year, as it appears to be about a four year cycle, although as the industry is reasonably young, 25 years, there isn't the historic data to be any more conclusive than that.

Clearly, looking at trail shoes there isn't the same differentiation, although they do tend to a more minimalist style as a category.

For me, cushioned shoes were a recipe for disaster, but my attempts at picking up running did seem to conincide with when cushioned shoes were the predominant trend. Hence never managing to find the correct shoes.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

this is ridiculous. the necessity and truth in gait analysis has about as much validity as body type categorization (endomorph, mesomorph, etc).

Knowing how one impacts the ground has no validity? Interesting concept.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the helpful responses.

For the not so helpful ones, I'll just say that it's not so much that I need to get measured/fitted, just that I know that when I run with my $45 New balance shoes my knees hurt. It's already been suggested to me by my running friends that I get better shoes. As I'm a beginner, I really don't know what that means, but I want to learn. Hence, go to a running store and talk to someone who understands these things.

Here I simply wanted an idea of what prices I'd expect to find, so thank you for those answers.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Here I simply wanted an idea of what prices I'd expect to find, so thank you for those answers.

Notwithstanding that pricing of shoes for me is meaningless to you, I'd also recommend that you factor in the costs of a refresh cycle. The life of the shoe does reflect the quality but as upthread you're probably looking at somewhere between 300 and 500 miles before the shoes need replaced.

Subject to the type of running that you end up doing then there are a few different approaches to that.

Personally I have four pairs of road shoes that I keep about 100 miles apart. for me, as a significant over-pronator with history of lower leg injuries that avoids the need to move from 400 mile shoes to new shoes in one step, so to speak. That transition would be quite hard for me, so if I age several pairs at once I'm never going through that transition.

I did C25K about a year ago and I've moved on to working up to half marathon distance and improving my 10K times.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    The right shoe makes all the difference in the world. I have 2 stores I usually bounce back and forth for running shoes a lot of times I hit sales and they also email me coupons. So I can spend anywhere from 85-100. Good Luck with your running C25k is a great program. It got me hooked on running. Oh also goo good running socks that don't rub and wick away moisture. They are just as important as shoes IMHO. Happy Running
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    straight up, tell them you're on a budget. tell them you're looking to spend about $100 max or whatever. don't have that awkward conversation when they bring out the $300 pair of sneakers.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just to add that in my experience, every local running shop I've dealt with has a loyalty program. Either a gift certificate or % off if you spend X amount of dollars. Yes I know that's girl logic of spending money to save money, but hey whatever works.
  • ghoti3
    ghoti3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was fitted at a running store and mine were about $130, but so worth it. I had bought a cheaper pair off Amazon and dealt with shin splints (spent money on compression sleeves) and knee issues (spent money on an ortho appointment). The pair I got from the store has helped tremendously with both problems. If I had gone and gotten fitted to begin with I probably would have saved both money and pain.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A great discussion, figured I'd weigh in with my 2 cents.
    For some the right shoes can be critical. For others...not so much. Even in cases where someone needs proper shoes, the prices that people pay seem outrageous to me. I've bought the wrong shoe and had immediate pain while running. Now that I know what I can run in, I'm all about bargains. Give me any neutral shoe, and I'm good. For the past couple years I've been running in minimalist and semi-minimalist shoes. I just wait until I find a deal.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually around $110.00, but I have a friend who gets fitted, then asks for last year's model for that type of shoe. She usually gets them for $80.00 - $90.00.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    i'm a distance runner, regularly do 10 miles/day. I don't buy into this "specialty running store" "gait analysis" BS. I very rarely pay more than $60 for a pair of shoes. My current pair were purchased for $50 at somewhere like Famous Footwear or Rack Room Shoes. I can't remember. They're the best pair i've had in years.

these specialty running stores and all the claims of needing all the bells and whistles on running shoes is such bull. but lots of people buy into it (quite literally), so you definitely aren't alone in getting snowballed by all the crap out there. meh. whatev. ya'll continue to shell out $100 for sneaks and "gait analysis", and i'll continue to shake my head, chuckle, and rack up the miles on my $50 shoes. (which, btw, last me for months and months. far longer and many more miles than i should use them for - but the most injury i've had is with a pair of running shoes i purchased for $80; a rare more expensive purchase for me that i probably put way too many miles on before switching up and going back to my $50 purchases which give me much more wear and tear time, and much less injury)

It's great you haven't run (pun intended) into any issues, but I think it's completely unfair to call the shoe fitting advice "BS". As people get older, especially, it's more important to wear the proper footwear. It seems you have found the proper type of shoe for yourself on your own, and that's great. For some of us (like me...), I was having foot issues with the shoes I was buying (I just bought the cheapest and most colorful running shoes I could find for awhile... then I tried to figure out what type of shoe was best for me on my own and got overwhelmed). Getting analyzed has saved me a lot of pain and trouble. I haven't had plantar fasciitis issues since.

I also don't think it's a good idea to run in shoes that are worn out. That was part of my issue when I started having foot problems. Several people have noted in this thread that it was helpful to get analyzed ONCE and then we are able to find the same shoes much more cheaply online... so really, to me, the extra $30 or so the first time (when I bought in the running store) has more than paid for itself....
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Under Armor's for $75 or so. LOVE them.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    $100-$150
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be hard pressed to come across anything of quality under $100

Disagree.

If it is a model that is being replaced by a newer version then they will be significantly cheaper. The shoes that I bought are the Brooks Adrenaline 13 and they were $70. When I bought them last year they were $120.

THIS!
    I got my first pair of Adrenaline's 3 years ago, on sale end of season, paid about $90.
    I then found them online bought 2x again, last time I paid $60 shipped.
    (I am a good bargain shopper too)

What others have said though, get fitted at a shop.
    You could find the shoe you like there, then find them online (make sure you get the same ones)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Once you have an idea of exactly what you're looking for, keep an eye out at your local sporting goods and running stores, too. Clearance, sales, coupons,etc.... I just snagged a pair of $110 Salomons for $50 because they were the last pair in stock (and happened to be my size!). Not even last year's model, but popular enough to be sold out. :)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Last month I bought a pair of Brooks for $70. I love my Brooks! They have been the most comfortable shoes I've ever tried, even better than Asics (and better looking too). I am always on the look out for a good sale on running shoes because it bothers me to spend too much on a pair of shoes. If you find Asics or Brooks on sale, I would say go for it!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    i'm a distance runner, regularly do 10 miles/day. I don't buy into this "specialty running store" "gait analysis" BS. I very rarely pay more than $60 for a pair of shoes. My current pair were purchased for $50 at somewhere like Famous Footwear or Rack Room Shoes. I can't remember. They're the best pair i've had in years.

these specialty running stores and all the claims of needing all the bells and whistles on running shoes is such bull. but lots of people buy into it (quite literally), so you definitely aren't alone in getting snowballed by all the crap out there. meh. whatev. ya'll continue to shell out $100 for sneaks and "gait analysis", and i'll continue to shake my head, chuckle, and rack up the miles on my $50 shoes. (which, btw, last me for months and months. far longer and many more miles than i should use them for - but the most injury i've had is with a pair of running shoes i purchased for $80; a rare more expensive purchase for me that i probably put way too many miles on before switching up and going back to my $50 purchases which give me much more wear and tear time, and much less injury)

That is because you are a veteran runner, and know what you need. Go for teh shoes, and dont get sucked into the other stuff.

Every single day so many people start running. Most of them it is their first time really ever doing so, and many who havent ran since their sports years of HS.

The options for new runners would be a running store where many of them know what to look for and recommend, a box store where they dont have a clue, or the internet.

If you dont know what you need you can waste alot of $$$, get discouraged because the shoes just dont work out for you, and quit.

I dont go to them often anymore, but when I was getting serious about it I did and was very glad I did so. When asked by friends I recommended th eplace I went to and they all loved it and it helped them start their journey to running.

Someone like you and the guys in my run group...yeah, they dont need to go anymore, but for noobs.....it is very helpful
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the helpful responses.

For the not so helpful ones, I'll just say that it's not so much that I need to get measured/fitted, just that I know that when I run with my $45 New balance shoes my knees hurt. It's already been suggested to me by my running friends that I get better shoes. As I'm a beginner, I really don't know what that means, but I want to learn. Hence, go to a running store and talk to someone who understands these things.

how old were the pair of NB? maybe you just needed new shoes
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    another brooks fanatic... i found my current pair at nordstrom rack for $65.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

I would have thought that if ones gait was really that bad that they needed specialty footwear, and you're like over the age of 25, chances are the problems already made itself apparent and have been diagnosed by a dr.

i do know two runners that fall into this catagory and they claim they need to be fitted with an expensive orthopedic insert

idk, 100-130 doesn't sound over priced when it comes to athletic footwear IMO, but i personally don't think a tweeked running shoe is going to provide as much help as an insert ordered/fitted by a dr. and if you don't need the insert, you probably don't need the shoe.

i like 6pm.com. everything ships free and most of thier rebooks/nikes are 60 and under. last years stuff but who cares