Anyone else about to start marathon training??

Options
I will be training for the New York Marathon at the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone else will be running during that time?? This will be my first full marathon! I am scared and excited all at the same time.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'll be training for a half if that counts. I haven't decided which half I want to do just yet but I know I want to do one either the end of this year or beginning of next year. I'm only up to running 9.3 miles so far. need to train more.
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    PrinceEric- You are doing great already! Most 1/2 marathon programs only have you train to about 10-11 miles anyways because on race day you have the stamina and the excitement. I have done 4 half marathons and a few triathalons.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    PrinceEric- You are doing great already! Most 1/2 marathon programs only have you train to about 10-11 miles anyways because on race day you have the stamina and the excitement. I have done 4 half marathons and a few triathalons.

thank you. I admire you for running a full marathon. I'm sure you will do great at the NYC marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about a marathon this fall. I'm up to running 7-8 miles for long runs now, so I'm considering registering for an October marathon. I've done 6 half marathons already, so I figure I should step it up a notch ;) Feel free to add me if you want a support buddy!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I applied for NYC for the second year in a row and didn't get in. :-( However i will be running the Manchester City Marathon in NH on the same day! My first full too! I like training buddies!
  • mississippi_runner_girl
    Options
    I have a half marathon June 21st and then marathon training begins right away for an October 12 marathon in Louisiana (Dirty South Marathon)
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am starting next month. I did my first track workout for speed work today to start preparing. I am signed up for 2 in the fall, Akron and Denver Rock N Roll but may only be able to do one because of scheduling conflicts that I discovered after I sign up. I run regularly with an average of 5 half marathons a year but have not ran a marathon in quite a few years. NYC marathon is definitely on my bucket list.
  • sassycraftyfit
    Options
    I'm currently maintaining my long run at around 8-10 miles right now because I have another half marathon (#6) at the end of June, and then I will switch focus and train for my first full marathon in October!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I was debating about working out today or not, I have worked out the past 4 days in a row doing crossfit and weight training. I haven't been running for a while because I was dealing with injuries but I know I should get back in running soon, I work on my feet so I have to be selective about what days I run hah. I might just do some stretching and recovery today. Glad to have so many people who will be training at the same time, Add me if you would like!!
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I just finished training for my first full. Ran the Country Music Marathon (Rock N Roll Series), Nashville, TN on April 26th. Absolutely awesome experience. Best wishes!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My third full marathon is 24 May, in Traverse City Michigan, so I'm starting to taper. Training for my fourth (Monumental, Indianapolis, 1 Nov) starts shortly afterwards, with a few halves thrown in for yucks. Seeing as you've already completed 4 halves you've laid down a good base to start. About.com has some good beginner and intermediate training programs, if you're interested.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am running my 3rd marathon in November; I will start official training at the end of the July. Right now, I am training for a 5k (get speedy!) in July and then I'll do a race-simulator-warm up for marathon 10 miler at the end of September. I am new to fitness pal. But is there a place we can have a group and share/ support each other in this journey?

The marathon I will be training for is The City Of Oaks Marathon (Raleigh, NC).
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm running the RNR in Seattle on June 21st. Just into my last few long runs and things are getting pretty brutal! Anyone have tips on how to break through a mental block?
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    Maybe cut back the mileage of the long run one week but do it fast finish. So....say you are at 20 miles last week. This week only do 14-16 but do the last 6 at goal pace.
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bring this topic up, I'm starting my training in a few weeks. I have a marathon in October, with a 15k or so in between. I've ran 2 in the past but, I have to say I'm in better shape now (thanks to mfp) because I've been concentrating on my nutrition and focusing on macros.

With that in mind, my plan is to use something close to the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), track my cal calorie burn with my GPS/HRM, and consume to a 30/35/35 (fat, carb, protein) macro.

Has anyone experimented with this? Or what do you think of my plan?

Please feel free to add me.... :)
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I haven't heard of these, but I KNOW that, if you are more fit and leaner, you will race faster!! So you got that already. I bet you will PR that race in October. (I <3 fall marathons). which one are you running?
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mohawk Hudson near Albany NY. I'm looking forward to it, It really is the best time of the year to run.
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Marine corps marathon in October. Training to start after my 13.1 Memorial Day weekend.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I will be the week after next! My husband and I are running the "Beat the Blerch" full marathon on Sept. 20! I'm super excited. I've done three halfs at this point. I'm with you about being both nervous and excited! Good luck! :drinker:

(Two of the halfs that I've done were from the RnR series. They're a lot of fun! Also, "halfs" instead of "halves" seems weird but a better way of saying it.)
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I will be training for the New York Marathon at the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone else will be running during that time?? This will be my first full marathon! I am scared and excited all at the same time.

Congrats on getting into NY! I entered the lottery this year but didn't get a spot, so I signed up for the Disney Marathon in January instead. It gives me an extra couple months to train so no complaints there! My first marathon too, so I know how excited you must feel!