Personal Problems KILLED My Progress

Options
reddz12
reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
So, I've been going through some things and I am the type of person who just gets nauseated when I am upset resulting in not really eating. I've been trying to keep my calories at a sufficient level but by not feeling well I was struggling to hit even 1000 a day some days and then just ate junk (chicken quesodillas with loads of veggies and things like that) to try and get my calories up before the end of the day. Over the past week (and I understand some of this can be water) I have gained 8 pounds and now feel stuck. During that time I continued my gym routine as normal as well. Any help in getting myself jump started again? I would appreciate any insight.

Replies

• mrswoolsey3
    mrswoolsey3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really feel like once you start feeling better, drinking LOTS of water, and eating well again those 8 pounds will fall right off. I'm sure most of it is water retention. We all have times that get us down, and things get mixed up. The best advice I can give is to not let it ruin the journey you are on. There will be ups and there will be downs, this helps us remain focused and humble. We are all just human, and along with that comes error. You've managed to loose over 20 pounds in just over 2 months! Don't loose sight of that, and think about where you could be in 2 more months from now! Let this time be in the past, and jump back in with both feet. Forward progress now, that's what you need. I know you can do it! I believe in you, I've seen amazing things from you already.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    gotta keep on keepin' on..........
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    That sounds a bit like my eating habits when I was gaining weight. I never felt like eating breakfast and over half the time I'd forget to eat lunch, and then at dinner I'd eat record-setting levels of junk food. I pretty much eat the same dozen or so things all the time now and eat on schedule, whether I want to or not. It's not much fun, but it works for me anyway. Maybe someone will come along here with a better idea.

Sorry you're having a rough patch and been upset, bud. Hope things get better for you and you can get your self back on point.
  • BookMaven79
    BookMaven79 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having a rough time! Perhaps your food was high in salt? I know if I'm not careful about eating, I tend to consume a lot more salt than I thought and it sabotages my weight loss due to water retention. Carbs can do the same thing if I eat too many of them.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the sodium, get a lot more green vegetables in and drink plenty of water. Looking at your diary I expect that most if not all of the weight gain is water weight.

Take care.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The most important thing when you are feeling bad is to stick to a schedule. Schedule everything, waking up, going to bed, eating, plan the meals. Then just do it, don't think about it. I'm not sure if a diary will help much, but for some people the writing helps.

Also, your eating over your maintenance calories if your gaining weight. Get back to logging and even if you eat like crap, you can at least maintain and when your ready, get back to loosing.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's most likely fluid retention from salty food. I can easily put on 5-8 lbs in water weight after going out to eat for a few meals in a row.

I hope things improve for you. Also, good on you for sticking to your gym routine even in times of stress. A lot of people tend to quit when things get rough.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    High sodium, stress - easy water weight. Just forget about it and start today fresh. Limit the sodium for a while, drink lots of water, and stay off the scale for 2 weeks.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    High sodium, stress - easy water weight. Just forget about it and start today fresh. Limit the sodium for a while, drink lots of water, and stay off the scale for 2 weeks.

This! Good luck to ya. It ain't easy, but you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I lose my appitite when I'm stressed too. (I'm hardly ever stressed so I need to lose another 10lbs at least)

Currently I've been in the same boat but figured I'd just take the extra weight loss for a while and things should go back to normal soon. (Yesterday I ate a small piece of chocolate and got hungry again so I ate a nice dinner and think I'm over the worst of it but who knows what tomorrow will bring.)

Your weight gain is most likey water since you have to be in a calorie deficit.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. When I get stressed I get too nervous to eat. Like a nervous tummy and no appetite and sometimes even nausea as you described. I don't try to force it b/c ew.:sick:

What I do, do though is take advantage of any moment I am not nauseaous to eat something healthy. I do this to prevent the exact things you described going all day without eating and then eating poorly at night. I also have headaches to contend with.

I'd suggest carrying high calorie nutritious bars in your purse, glove box, desk, pantry etc. That way the INSTANT you get hungry or at least not nauseaous you will have something handy to eat.

I used this technique when pregnant with morning sickness and it worked.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I really feel like once you start feeling better, drinking LOTS of water, and eating well again those 8 pounds will fall right off. I'm sure most of it is water retention. We all have times that get us down, and things get mixed up. The best advice I can give is to not let it ruin the journey you are on. There will be ups and there will be downs, this helps us remain focused and humble. We are all just human, and along with that comes error. You've managed to loose over 20 pounds in just over 2 months! Don't loose sight of that, and think about where you could be in 2 more months from now! Let this time be in the past, and jump back in with both feet. Forward progress now, that's what you need. I know you can do it! I believe in you, I've seen amazing things from you already.

^^^ I second that!
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be water shopping tonight. Its just so discouraging how you work so hard and then just watch the scale explode all over again!!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The most important thing when you are feeling bad is to stick to a schedule. Schedule everything, waking up, going to bed, eating, plan the meals. Then just do it, don't think about it. I'm not sure if a diary will help much, but for some people the writing helps.

Also, your eating over your maintenance calories if your gaining weight. Get back to logging and even if you eat like crap, you can at least maintain and when your ready, get back to loosing.

GREAT advice! I have done so well with a schedule and planning my meals each morning and making adjustments through out the day.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse, it's never too late and don't let it discourage you. I took a little break myself and I'm coming back stronger than ever.
  • mrswoolsey3
    mrswoolsey3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also remember, your hard work isn't gone! 8 pounds of water weight can't undo the 21 that you've lost my friend. Chin up, this too shall pass :-)