Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Binge Eating

Can someone please offer some advice or give me some ideas so I don't binge eat!! It's between the hours of 7 and 9. I think about food and it's freakin driving me crazy!!!

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Alot yourself 100-200 calories for that time period. I also want a snack before bed...so schedule it in. Usually it's a slice of whole wheat bread with a teaspoon of natural PB. Or it's air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it. This way you don't wait til later and eat something you'll regret later on.
  • how are you eating during the day??? if you eat small snacks every 2 hours during the day i tend to not be very hungry later on at night! i have the same problem of getting the munchies! also if you brush you teeth early i dont want to eat lol weird but sometimes it works! popcorn is also a good snack to eat at night because you can eat a lot for little calories! hope this helps!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Find something to occupy your mind. There is nothing worse for willpower than boredom. Take up a new hobby, read a book, play a video game, anything that keeps you busy. Also, think about eating your dinner a little later so you're not as hungry, or give yourself the calories to have a small but filling snack.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I have the same problem from 8-11. So I schedule a late dinner (eat that at 8pm, then have a healthy snack at 9 & a 100 calorie treat at 10). Try to go to bed at 11 but if I don't and have the munchies then I have another small healthy snack like a couple of clementine oranges or sf jello.

Some people would argue that eating that much late at night is bad for weight loss but I've lost 250lbs altogether. I think it comes down to burn more than you intake, no matter what hour of the day, and you will lose weight. I did.

Good luck.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Yes! Structure your meal eating times so you can eat at that time. Give yourself enough cals so you can have a snack at night. I love to have something sweet or crunchy in the evening. Sometimes a bowl of cereal or whatever is good. Don't eat everything in sight, but let yourself have something. You have the power! Use your exercise cals! Eat them! They are good for you :smile:

Edited to agree with the above poster. It doesn't matter when you eat. Your body handles calories the same way if it's 10am or 10pm.
  • briball003
    briball003 Posts: 5 Member
    Some things I try:
    - brushing my teeth (someone else mentioned this - it works!)
    - drinking lots of water, not too cold (keeps my tummy full)
    - eat a healthy, but filling snack (avacado, celery & PB)
    - prayer (sometimes will-power has to come from someone stronger than me:wink: )
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    I don't eat most of the day because I know I'm going to bindge eat at night it's ten and I still have like 900 cals left
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    if you want to eat in that time eat, don't try not too, or you will regain later
    set up fail safes by having food ready so you can make good choices
    carrots and celery provide a crunch
    air popped plain popcorn provides busy hands
    make big pot of fresh/frozen veg soup once a week you can freeze it in serving size containers to pop in microwave. provides warm comfort food
    get serving size snack foods like sugar free pudding only 60-80 cal and they dont taste amazing so one is enough provides a sweet snack
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Like a lot fo the others have said, save calories to have a snack in the evening. I used to binge inthe evening but now I save about 150-200 calories for after dinner and I'm ok! Good luck!
  • I agree with saving calories for the evening. Right after work and after dinner/before bed I crave snacks! I try to save calories for that time so I can snack. I also like the eating a later dinner idea, then you don't snack. But, you don't want to eat a meal too close to bed time! Third thing I'd say is, DO something. I want to munch, when I'm sitting on the couch in front of the TV. Get up and go for a walk, find a hobby, read a book, take a bubble bath bath, start a project... etc... Hope that helps!
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Or it's air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it.

What is nutritional yeast and how does adding it to popcorn help? I could google it but I'd rather ask somebody who uses it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat

What is nutritional yeast and how does adding it to popcorn help? I could google it but I'd rather ask somebody who uses it.

Nutritional yeast is a protein that many vegetarians and vegans use. I'm a vegetarian (have been my entire life)...it's just one of the many ways I add in my protein. It's got a salty cheesy quality about it. I use it in place of salt and butter on popcorn.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Keep a water bottle with you and say (OUT LOUD) something like "I've already had a nutritious, filling dinner and my body doesn't need any more food right now."

Also, try thinking about a specific non-food smell you enjoy like fresh laundry or fresh cut grass. When you focus on a non-food-related smell and make it real for yourself your brain automatically stops smelling bacon or mashed potatoes or whatever it is you want to eat.
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137

Nutritional yeast is a protein that many vegetarians and vegans use. I'm a vegetarian (have been my entire life)...it's just one of the many ways I add in my protein. It's got a salty cheesy quality about it. I use it in place of salt and butter on popcorn.

Ok, you got me interested enough to look it up. It's also a pretty good source of vitamins. I'm neither vegetarian or vegan but I'll need to look into it for a healthier "seasoning" alternative. Learn something new every day!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat

Ok, you got me interested enough to look it up. It's also a pretty good source of vitamins. I'm neither vegetarian or vegan but I'll need to look into it for a healthier "seasoning" alternative. Learn something new every day!

And if you like the nutritional yeast...check out Bragg's liquid amino acids....tasty stuff.
  • rockstar28
    rockstar28 Posts: 3 Member
    Wow...what great support! thank you all for your idea/suggestions. I am going to try and I will post what has helped me!