Diet saboteurs...

Options

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    There's really a simple solution for everyone who complains about "saboteurs". When they offer something you don't want to eat, be brutally honest.

"No thanks. I don't want to be fat."

And then stare at them.

They'll never push food on you again.

I'm gonna +1 this. I like it!

I'm gonna steal it :drinker:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to her about how she's making you feel? Have an open, honest conversation about how you're feeling. If she still doesn't get it/is rude to you, time to cut her loose.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Where are all these people getting friends that bully them all of the time about what they are eating and drinking? My friends don't usually care if I eat and drink the same as they do. And, my friendships are solid enough that if they do say something, I can say, "I love you, but STFU about it."
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Based on what you described you're handling her well with the exception of having a friendly but frank conversation with her over a nice cup of coffee or tea (not cakes :) Congratulations on not letting her sway you and good luck with your friendship.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    absentmindedhousewife Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look her in the eye, calmly say, "Please stop." and then hold her gaze for a little while longer. Then change the subject to something innocuous. Knitting, or sports, or home improvement or shoes. Repeat as necessary.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    No other person can make me do something I don't want to do. My biggest diet saboteur is ME!
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    There will always be diet saboteurs in your life. You did the right thing by holding your ground and it may come to the point of cutting off the friend/relative for a while. Just tell them, "I love you and want to spend time with you, but not at the expense of my health journey. I don't expect you to join me, just respect me enough not to try and persuade me to cheat on my diet. It wouldn't be right to try to force a diabetic to eat sugar or an alcoholic to have a beer; trying to get me to consume something that I know is not in my calorie budget is equally not right. So if you are unable to keep yourself from trying to get me to eat more than I should, I will be forced to take a break from our relationship." Let them know the choice to continue the relationship is in their ability to stop harassing you and as sad as you will be to loose them for a while it is necessary to your health and you will be elated to resume the relationship when respect for each others limits is restored. We do this with time-outs for our children all the time. There is nothing wrong with giving ourselves a time-out as well.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    When I think I have a diet saboteur, I take out my mirror and take a long stare. Whose got the power? Oh. Me? Just checking
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If she is your friend she will support you when your making healthy choices -

It's never 'what' your doing but 'who' your with that is important!

So whether you are eating cake together or taking a walk with NO food - the point is that you are spending time together.

It's simple: tell her how it makes you feel when she's pushy about you eating and ask her not to attempt to control your diet ! Tell her you enjoy your time together and you care about her and PERHAPS you two should choose an activity that does NOT involve food.

If she gets upset then she is not your friend.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No one can make you do something you don't want to do. You own you!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    When I think I have a diet saboteur, I take out my mirror and take a long stare. Whose got the power? Oh. Me? Just checking

Always this.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    No other person can make me do something I don't want to do. My biggest diet saboteur is ME!

Also this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There will be these people coming and going in your life. Sometimes it is family or people close to you. Sometimes it is "friends". If they are a true friend, they will want to see you without cake. Just sayin.
  • angel381
    angel381 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I'm swimming hard to keep my head above water and I have someone pulling me down to drown with them, I'm sorry but I have to let go for me. I deserve that, I'm sure you do too!

You can't control other people. You control you: your actions and your decisions. Friendship is at least a common respect for each other to meet in the middle. You do what you need to do for you, and those that love you will understand. If they don't, it may give you the opportunity to find people that care more about you, your feelings and look forward to giving you support. :)

It's ok to stand up for yourself and when you are doing something that is GOOD for you, you should be proud of yourself for doing it! Don't let their problem be your problem. It sounds like this "friend" saboteur has no reluctance to stand their ground by demanding you eat like that.

Don't let it weigh you down... The idea is lose weight, right? :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You can't tell others what they should or shouldn't do, it just won't lead to anything useful.

Try to find things to do with this friend that don't revolve around food.

As to why she insisted on buying 2 and trying to split the 2nd with you? Well probably not to sabotage you but to make herself feel better. She knew she didn't need 2, but felt like it was better to have 1 and then split the other with you. Kind of like she was trying to make you her enabler.

Do what is best for you. Sometimes that can mean having limited contact with friends, family that you feel make it harder to reach your goals.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    People here have the right idea, be nice but stand your ground with your friend. Being friends with someone shouldn't be about material things such as food or even money. If being friends with this person means you have to over indulge on cake then that may not be the kind of friendship you or her wants.

Talk to your friend, she'll come around.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said... but OP: Your profile picture is great.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you want advice about how to deal with her in the moment, I will suggest this:

Make it really, really unrewarding for her to engage with you on this subject. Since she has proven that she cannot be trusted to go to places where there is food (or treaty food, at least), don't meet her at food places. Anytime she brings up the subject (if you happen to meet for lunch, or there happens to be food at the place where you are), just say "no thank you; say, have you seen the latest Dr. Who?" or "no thanks; hey, I really like your new hair cut!" or "no thanks; what did you think about [insert sports team of your choice] winning that thing yesterday?".

Make it boring to the point of insanity for her to engage you on this subject. It may feel repetitive. GOOD. That means she'll eventually get it. If she is going to be repetitive about food, give her a repetitive answer.

If you NEVER engage with her on this, if you ALWAYS change the subject immediately, without offering excuses or reasons, she WILL eventually get it.

And I mean never.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    All the time... Whenever I say no or explain it won't fit in my calorie allowance they have to tell me how they don't care they're happy how they are etc EXCUSE ME I'M NOT PREACHING, YOU EAT AWAY I SAID I DON'T WANT IT!
  • lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No is no, nobody forced her to buy two pieces of cake. And if she gives you half of her second portion just don't eat it, if she than asks you repeatedly "why don't you eat that second half", just ask if she is deaf, because she clearly wasn't listening... She probably has some issues of her own.

For example: I love my friends,but I have a similair situation involving alcohol (drinking less in the weekends), in the beginning when i stated that I wasn't going to drink so much, they where screaming and stating that if I didn't drink the WHOLE evening was ruined. It made me furious, some of them did literally everything they could think of to bribe me into drinking more (e.g. "aaaaw but I just payed for these shots, they were expesive, blablabla"), What worked for me, being honest. I sat down with the friend who annoyed me the most and told her everything that was bothering me.