Running Woes

Options
I am a very new runner/jogger, but I've run into some issues and wondered if y'all could help. My runs up to this week (while slow) have been pretty good. I'm sucking wind, but that's been my only issue - endurance. Last week I switched shoes so I suspect this could be the problem. My old running shoes were VERY light weight but were starting to rub issues. The pair I switched to is heavier but has never caused problems at all. In fact, they offer more cushion and support than the others. But this week I feel like I have bricks tied to my feet. My shins hurt almost immediately and the sides of my thighs up to my rear hurt and are sore the next day. A friend suggested that she always gets shin splints when she first starts running again after an extended break and that's probably what I'm dealing with, but why would they start 2-3 weeks into starting? What do you think? Something I just need to work through? Shoe problems? Or something else?

Replies

• NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I would recommend going for a proper running shoe fitting where they evaluate your gait, arch, pronation etc. You won't believe how wearing the wrong shoe can affect you.

I always wore one type of running shoe and a sales person (not at my regular store) convinced me to try a "newer, better version" I can't stand those shoes, I knew after one run that they we not going to work for me and I went back and bought the shoe I was used to wearing and it made a huge difference.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going for a proper running shoe fitting...

Agreed. Getting fitted for the proper shoes cured my shin splints.
  • snapehbp
    snapehbp Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm guessng shoes too. I'm very new to runnung as well, and I got fitted for shoes which are fantastic!!! I got Brooks GTS 14 I think they're called. I haven't had issues with pains, but rather trying to breathe properly so I can run faster.

My runnung store had a policy where if after two weeks of runnung, if the shoes weren't a correct gift, I could exchange. So maybe try a bunch. Boy do the varry!! As a newbie I didn't think I could tell the difference but by the 5th pair, it was evident which pair felt good!!!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Have you upped your mileage significantly? I've found that just running 4 days instead of 3 this week has made my shins scream at me after having no issues for a month! It could be the new shoes, try alternating between your old and new set to see if that helps at all. Are you road or dreadmill running?
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going for a proper running shoe fitting where they evaluate your gait, arch, pronation etc. You won't believe how wearing the wrong shoe can affect you.

I always wore one type of running shoe and a sales person (not at my regular store) convinced me to try a "newer, better version" I can't stand those shoes, I knew after one run that they we not going to work for me and I went back and bought the shoe I was used to wearing and it made a huge difference.

good advice to get a fit and analysis. Most stores have that now, and they will show your pressure points on yoiur feet. the IT band tightening this early in your new running career is a big deal.

You may go thru a few paif of shoes getting this dialed in. Just go ahead and pay the big bucks with a 30 day return policy. then you can burn thru several types while you figure this out.

Then, once you know "YOUR Shoe" you can hit the runningwarehouse and get them cheap.

A great go to is the Ascic Cumulous 14.

Don't give up, and definately don;t run thru IT band pain. Get it fixed eh!
    Todd
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues since I am also a fairly new runner! Sounds like a case of the shin splints to me. The impact sounds like it may be too much- whether it is the weight hitting the floor whe you run or the speed at which you are running is increasing. I make it a routine to ice my shins for 15 min immediately after every run. I also take ibuprofen to help with inflammation. I recently went to an athletic shoe store that specialized in getting the proper shoes. She recommended that you NEVER wear cotton socks when running and that shoes that focus on motion control help decrease the sensations associated with shin splints....Ill tell ya what, Im slowly feeling a difference!
  • lefresh
    lefresh Posts: 3
    Options
    I HAVE been running more days, but about the same miles each day. And only road miles.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options

^^^^ Very true! Smartest thing I ever did was go for a proper evaluation. Shoes were of course a little pricier BUT our health is priceless!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Have you upped your mileage significantly? I've found that just running 4 days instead of 3 this week has made my shins scream at me after having no issues for a month! It could be the new shoes, try alternating between your old and new set to see if that helps at all. Are you road or dreadmill running?

This...if you feel your shoes are the right ones...then whats changed in the runs...new courses...hillier, not as hilly,, are you going faster?...did you change form, whether unconsciously or in response to the new shoes?

You say your sucking wind...so i would expect your going to fast...or trying to push yourself hard every run?

All things to think about.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Another great way to find the right shoe for you is to use the Shoe Dog web site;

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

To determine arch type, step barefoot on a wet washcloth, then step on a brown paper bag and outline your footprint with a sharpie for later reference. The site will provide a list of ideal shoes for you, as well as a rough estimate on price.

This should help you tremendously and hopefully resolve all your issues.

Mike
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My old running shoes were VERY light weight but were starting to rub issues. The pair I switched to is heavier but has never caused problems at all. In fact, they offer more cushion and support than the others.

This suggests that you're using older shoes that you've used for other things before?

Personally I only use my running shoes for running in, and the same principle applies to many runners.

Different styles of runing shoes can have different effects on your gait, a very lightwieght shoe doesn't provide much protection to the foot, a cushioned shoe generally doesn't provide the same level of support as a support shoe, where the latter does cause the foot to move in a particular way.

It's a question of having the correct shoe type for your running style.

Personally I run in support/ motion control shoes, and if I try cushioned shoes it's a recipe for disaster.

While the shoes may not be the only cause of the pain it's worth going to a decent running shop and spending some time identifying the correct type of shoe for you.

The other issue is that shoes have a mileage life of between 300 and 500 miles. beyond that the structure has become so battered they're no longer working as designed.
    But this week I feel like I have bricks tied to my feet. My shins hurt almost immediately and the sides of my thighs up to my rear hurt and are sore the next day.

This could be a number of different things, and when I sugest tha it may not be the shoes, it may be that the change in shoe is exacerbating it. Key point is, particularly for shin pain, to take a break until that's gone, and treat the cause of the pain.

Lower leg pain can be from a number of different causes, I've already touched on shoes but it could also be down to muscular imbalance or your running form. the pain that you describe does sound a bit more like form than anything else, but t may be a result of increasing your mileage too quickly.

Are you using a structured programme or are you just going out yourself and basing your running on how it feels? There is no right or wrong, as long as you're not overdoing the increases in distance.

As far as form is concerned, try to keep your pace short and quick, that forces you to plant your foot in such a way as to avoid overloading your leg.

In the absekce of any further information it's all a bit speculative, so it would be useful to know a bit more about how you run, and where.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am a very new runner/jogger, but I've run into some issues and wondered if y'all could help. My runs up to this week (while slow) have been pretty good. I'm sucking wind, but that's been my only issue - endurance. Last week I switched shoes so I suspect this could be the problem. My old running shoes were VERY light weight but were starting to rub issues. The pair I switched to is heavier but has never caused problems at all. In fact, they offer more cushion and support than the others. But this week I feel like I have bricks tied to my feet. My shins hurt almost immediately and the sides of my thighs up to my rear hurt and are sore the next day. A friend suggested that she always gets shin splints when she first starts running again after an extended break and that's probably what I'm dealing with, but why would they start 2-3 weeks into starting? What do you think? Something I just need to work through? Shoe problems? Or something else?
    Even when I switch shoes, going from the same model to the same model, I usually feel a little bit of a difference so I instead started to rotate two pair of shoes.
    It actually allows shoes to last extra long as they have much more time to bounce back.
    I would suggest when you find a model you like, stick with it when you get new shoes. If you dont want to rotate two pair, at least buy a new pair much sooner and start to break them in by walking and such so when you do start running you have less issues
  • lefresh
    lefresh Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be in search of the closest running store to try to fix that problem first. I appreciate all the advice!
  • GracieShaw18
    GracieShaw18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello lefresh,

I have been a runner for about 10 years now, so I can probably help you out :) Everyone so far has been giving you great advice regarding proper footwear. Many people fail to get fitted for the right type of shoes, and this often causes joint and muscle pain. Go to The Running Room, or another store that provides insoles or orthotic footwear and ask someone to help you. They will assess you by making you walk around, and examining how your foot strikes the ground. You may pronate (foot rolls in), supinate (foot rolls out) or neither (no angle) - the person will assign you proper foot wear depending on how you walk/run. I pronate so I have to buy shoes that have a duo-max bar to support the ball and instep of my feet. I was 18 when I realized I walked/ran like this, and buying the proper shoes made a world of difference. I currently run in New Balance shoes, but have ran for years in Asics- both with duo-max. Here is a link for more info about foot-to-ground contact http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2011/04/11/pronation-and-supination/ Shoes are pricey, but worth the money if it will save you pain. They should last you between 350 and 600 miles depending on the terrain, and how you generally treat them (moisture, weight etc.)

As for your shin splints...I know how those feel. I just got over having them as well after a 10 km run. If it hurts to go down stairs/downhill and it feels like there is a rod in each of your shins, then you probably have them. I was told not to run with shin splints, so try and use a stationary bike for cardio instead of running, do not run with shin splints. If you run hills, its actually harder on your body (and shins) to run down, than up the hill. So run up the hill, and then walk down (again, not with shin splints).

If your having trouble breathing then try inhaling for 4 counts through your nose, and exhaling for 4 counts out your mouth, this helps slow your heart-rate and calms you down - like running yoga :). Sometimes we forget to breath while running, but this is so important to make sure we're getting enough oxygen to our lungs. Your body needs oxygen, so don't forget to breath!

The muscle pain could be due to a number of reasons, just like what MeanderingMan mentioned above. It could also be the fact that you just started running, and you may not be used to/familiar with the type of pain that comes with it. Either way, stretch and ice any part of your body that is in pain right after exercise, and always refuel your body with healthy food afterwards. :happy:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Looks like I'll be in search of the closest running store to try to fix that problem first. I appreciate all the advice!
    [/qHow about getting the same models as you had if they were working well for you in teh first place?
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I HAVE been running more days, but about the same miles each day. And only road miles.

i feel like this is the key. when increasing weekly mileage, it's recommended to follow the 10% rule (ie, if you're running 10 miles a week, don't increase past 11 miles the next week). if you've been running 10 miles a week and suddenly up that to 15, your body's going to feel the strain. no shoe is going to be able to counter that increase.

most running injuries are due to overuse. give your body time to adapt.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My shins hurt almost immediately and the sides of my thighs up to my rear hurt and are sore the next day.

I had the same problem when I started running. It was my IT band. (Pain up the thigh into the rear) Mine was so bad I had to go to physical therapy. There are stretches you can do for it before and after. (google IT band exercises) and I would suggest a foam roller as well for stretching. You can find these at a running store as well.

** I should add the pain in the thigh- NOT the shin splints- were the IT band issue.