i feel on the verge of a massive binge! Help

Options
I need some support! I have lost 16lbs and am really pleased, the last 2 days all i have wanted to do is eat!!! I have logged everything but I just feel on the edge of going off on a binge! Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Carly

Replies

• MrsHill2010
    Options
    It's not a race. If you need to have a binge meal to get it out of your system, you can. Just log everything so you know the damage. And don't make a day out of it. Just a meal. I had a cheat meal on Saturday, and afterwards I felt horrible. I felt way too full, and regretted it. It totally got me over my desire to fall of the healthy eating wagon. If you deny yourself the desires every time, it can't be forever. You desire to give up will overtake you. Desserts, and meals out can still be part of your life, just not all the time. I really think a cheat meal will make you realize how much you want to continue your weight loss journey. Especially with losing 16 lbs. be proud of that, and keep your goal in sight! Good luck!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it. Hunger is a feeling like anything else. Cravings are just a feeling. The pleasure you will gain from the binge will be short lived. The pleasure of reaching your goals will be far greater and long lasting.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pavel-somov/mindfully-choose-what-you_b_455508.html

"Strange as it may sound, having a full, even unpleasantly full stomach doesn't have to mean weight gain. Foodstuffs differ in their caloric density. Having a stomach full of cheese is different from having it full of spinach. Some new-paradigm nutritional authors free their readers to eat as much as they please as long as what they eat is low in caloric density. This kind of humanistic, harm-reduction approach to overeating comes without the dessert of guilt! Dr. Joel Fuhrman (2003), for example, challenges us to eat at least two pounds of vegetables a day, four pieces of fruit, a cup of beans, and small amounts of nuts and whole grains. Bottom-line is that it's okay to overeat, i.e. to eat beyond the sense of pleasant fullness, as long as what you overeat is low in caloric density."

Might be worth a try.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    In detail, what do you actually want to eat during your "binge"?

This is what I do:
    1) Work out how much you can have within your calories.
    2) Earn it by setting a challenging exercise goal.
    3) Eat it without guilt. Savour every mouthful. Put the knife and fork down between mouthfuls. Chew each mouthful at least 12 times.
    4) Feel too full and heavy and look forward to eating lighter the next day.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I need some support! I have lost 16lbs and am really pleased, the last 2 days all i have wanted to do is eat!!! I have logged everything but I just feel on the edge of going off on a binge! Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
    Carly

What is your calorie goal set at? You may be too restrictive which could increase the desire to binge.
  • cazziecoo
    cazziecoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thanks for replying everyone! my calorie goal is 1500 calories and I've done really well weight loss wise on that and I don't feel restricted and I can eat the kind of food i enjoy on that.

I am not wanting to eat anything in particular, sometimes I just get the urge to eat everything in sight! I went over my calories by about 500 calories yesterday and the day before which wasn't too bad as I believe I can still maintain on that amount of calories, I am feeling much better today and I am back on track!

thanks for the support!
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've said it a few times, but google calorie cycling. Works like a charm for me. :) Everyone binges or wants to, but understand your diet doesn't have to be a static 1500 cals a day. You can do 2000 one day, and then 1000 the next and then 1500 and still be net your total calorie goal.
  • bbarber78
    bbarber78 Posts: 1
    Options
    go on the binge but limit it to a single day. Get it out of your system. Weight loss is a journey, not a punishment
  • Jennrich0725
    Jennrich0725 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are allowed a cheat every now and again. But the true test is you have to look at and remember why you are changing your life style to begin with. Figure out what you are craving and find a healthy alternative way of making that crave. For instance if you are wanting ice cream find a good healthy small dose of fro yo!. If you want chips, make your own out of tortillas, salsa is healthy if made right. If you are craving that fatty food find an alternative to it. The worst thing you can do is cave into the temptations of all the unhealhty foods around you. Do not forget your reasons for wanting to be healthy. Do not lose focus on your goals ahead. Dont do the cheating dance. Hope this helps and good luck!!!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Drink a mug of hot green tea slowly with couple of saltine crackers.
    Focus on the tea and how full it makes you feel after drinking it. If you still feel hungry, eat complex carbs like raw broccoli, baby carrots, celery sticks. Again, followed by hot cup of tea.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat what you want, but make sure you log everything and hold yourself accountable.

I recently recalculated my TDEE and calorie expenditure and found out that after weeks of hard work I was just breaking even and that I needed to lower my calories. I had a minor tantrum over this and overate by 500 calories for a couple days in a row but I think it's just something I needed to get through.

It's a journey, as cheesy as that sounds, and it's normal to take a step back before a leap forward. If you indulge your whims and honestly face the consequences, then eventually your whims will change for the better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pavel-somov/mindfully-choose-what-you_b_455508.html

"Strange as it may sound, having a full, even unpleasantly full stomach doesn't have to mean weight gain. Foodstuffs differ in their caloric density. Having a stomach full of cheese is different from having it full of spinach. Some new-paradigm nutritional authors free their readers to eat as much as they please as long as what they eat is low in caloric density. This kind of humanistic, harm-reduction approach to overeating comes without the dessert of guilt! Dr. Joel Fuhrman (2003), for example, challenges us to eat at least two pounds of vegetables a day, four pieces of fruit, a cup of beans, and small amounts of nuts and whole grains. Bottom-line is that it's okay to overeat, i.e. to eat beyond the sense of pleasant fullness, as long as what you overeat is low in caloric density."

Might be worth a try.

I really, really have to disagree with this.

Over consumption is not healthy, even when what you're overeating is carrots and spinach. There are physical reasons this is unhealthy, you might turn orange from too much beta-carotene or get kidney stones from the oxalic acid in spinach from example, but it's also beside the point because it doesn't fix the problem.

We keep coming up with these diet fads that justify over-eating. Paleo says eat everything you want as long as you exclude these food groups, Atkins says stuff yourself with everything but carbs, Eat to Live says fill yourself to bursting with low calorie plant material.

Over-consumption is the American Way. "Who cares if your body can't use all the beta carotene from eating a pound of carrots in one sitting, you won't gain weight so it doesn't matter!" Do we ever pause to consider that our body suffers when it has to expend energy to use or get rid of all this stuff it doesn't need? Do we ever think about malnourished people with VitA deficiency who really needed those carrots? Do we think of all the wasted resources, the water, land, and soil nutrients that went into that food you didn't need?

I just... Ugh. It's wrong, people. It's just wrong.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat what you want, but make sure you log everything and hold yourself accountable.

I recently recalculated my TDEE and calorie expenditure and found out that after weeks of hard work I was just breaking even and that I needed to lower my calories. I had a minor tantrum over this and overate by 500 calories for a couple days in a row but I think it's just something I needed to get through.

It's a journey, as cheesy as that sounds, and it's normal to take a step back before a leap forward. If you indulge your whims and honestly face the consequences, then eventually your whims will change for the better.

Might be worth a try.

I really, really have to disagree with this.

Over consumption is not healthy, even when what you're overeating is carrots and spinach. There are physical reasons this is unhealthy, you might turn orange from too much beta-carotene or get kidney stones from the oxalic acid in spinach from example, but it's also beside the point because it doesn't fix the problem.

We keep coming up with these diet fads that justify over-eating. Paleo says eat everything you want as long as you exclude these food groups, Atkins says stuff yourself with everything but carbs, Eat to Live says fill yourself to bursting with low calorie plant material.

Over-consumption is the American Way. "Who cares if your body can't use all the beta carotene from eating a pound of carrots in one sitting, you won't gain weight so it doesn't matter!" Do we ever pause to consider that our body suffers when it has to expend energy to use or get rid of all this stuff it doesn't need? Do we ever think about malnourished people with VitA deficiency who really needed those carrots? Do we think of all the wasted resources, the water, land, and soil nutrients that went into that food you didn't need?

I just... Ugh. It's wrong, people. It's just wrong.

Yeah I have to agree with you. I have tried every diet under the sun, and all they did was teach me to ignore any signs of fullness and when I get sick of the diet (like I always do) I end up overeating everything constantly.

I have been most successful by simply eating small meals, stopping before I am full, and allowing myself to have (for the most part) what I want. One small meal might be a no pudge fudge mug brownie made with greek yogurt for example. I eat when I'm hungry, sometimes that is every two hours, sometimes that is every hour, sometimes I go 6 hours without eating anything and it's a-ok. Previously I would have wanted a full box (gross I know), but I am training my stomach to not need to be filled to bursting and it has really paid off.

I am sure technically it is OK to eat 12000 cups of spinach a day from a caloric intake perspective, but why would anyone want to train their body to be comfortable eating past the point of comfortable fullness?