Salt addiction

Options
edorice
edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
What can I do about this? I am not addicted to sugar, but I'm struggling with my salt addiction. Do you simply ween yourself off of it or is there also a supplement that can be recommended?

Replies

• BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I loved salt! :love: And then I started tracking my sodium here:noway: So I cut back, and honestly, after a while, salty foods taste awful to me now!!

Try Mrs. Dash for flavor instead ~ best of luck to you!!
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I going to just cut it out and use spices to season my food. I have done it before. I'm putting my foot down on this salt and sugar problem. so try spices, and I found one at Trader Joe's called 21 spices for $2.00 each... it's great for all foods.
  • eorcel
    eorcel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am sensitive to sodium so I keep my sodium count up to 500 mg per day. But I will tell you too much sodium leads to a lot of diseases, including cardiovascular and insulin resistance, bad health, and eventually death from "whatever." So watching your sodium intact is pretty important. I am insulin resistant myself, but however I'm not diabetic. Go figure???
  • mom2asmk
    Options
    I don't know if there is anything in paticular to take. But my husband salts everything! I started cutting it in half, and now things taste TOO salty. Good luck to you.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    My advice is to slowly ween yourself off sodium. Your taste buds slowly come back each week and now vegetables and healthy foods taste good to me because I can taste them. Many things you may need to make at home or start diluting sodium rich foods. Cheeses, healthy frozen meals and soups were always making me go over. I started making my own veggie broth and adding it to soups or adding tomato sauce to my pasta sauces. I joined this site in August when my doctor told me she was going to medicate me to get my blood pressure under control. I asked for 8 wks to lower it naturally, which I did. The site below was helpful.

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/Archive.htm
  • kickchick
    kickchick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are lots of "salt substitutes". Some are just potassium instead of sodium....some are spices that help flavor your meals so you don't crave the salt anymore. Be careful what you choose though because some have additives that are not healthy in my opinion. Also...if you have any health problems or take certain medications, you might want to consult a physician before starting to use salt substitutes especially those containing potassium as it is difficult for the body to excrete. Good luck...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I think it works different for everyone - I was able to go pretty much cold turkey, but I wasn't big on added salt before that. I don't add salt to anything I cook/eat anymore. Obviously if it's processed or restaurant food, it will have sodium in it, but I try to keep my total sodium consumption between 1500-2000, preferrably under 1500/day if I can. It was just a matter of logging everything and watching to sodium closely to figure out what worked and what didn't. Other people have to wean themselves off it, and others have to get a substitute - only you know what is likely to work best for you.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Oh I love salt too and just remind myself when it comes to meal time that it isn't worth it. Salt is still salt, but try switch to a sea salt or coarse salt grinder. There are a lot of people who sware by Mrs. Dash as well. Load up on the pepper instead of the salt. You will still be adding flavor to your food and even when you are sitting at the table, but it won't be salt.
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking, and the info you ladies have given. I honestly had no idea that salt could cause all of those issues. Crazy, I know. I've read all kinds of things on health and exercise but have ignore the salt warnings. I'm going to Trader Joes today to get that 21 stuff and will start trying that!

(Seriously, you guys have NO IDEA how much I drown food in salt - scary!)

Pam
  • edorice
    Options
    I don't know if there is anything in paticular to take. But my husband salts everything! I started cutting it in half, and now things taste TOO salty. Good luck to you.

I'm reigning in my sodium intake. My daily sodium is tracked at under 2,400 mg per day. I still salt my food on top of that though. I started using sea salt and spicing things up with cayenne pepper. I guess I can get some Mrs. Dash as well. But I'm still addicted to salty snacks like pretzels.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Try changing your cooking/table salt fron a souium cholride to a potassium bassed one.
  • katland15
    Options
    i throw a few crushed red pepper flakes on pretty much anything i would have put salt on ..... it's part mental, because I'm used to shaking the salt on everything
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I use a salt substitute; but since it's potassium, you'll need to check with your doctor before using it if you're on any kind of blood pressure medicines.
  • edorice
    Options
    Try changing your cooking/table salt fron a souium cholride to a potassium bassed one.

Oh, they have that? I'll have to check it out. Would it be at a whole foods store like Trader Joe's?
  • edorice
    Options
    I use a salt substitute; but since it's potassium, you'll need to check with your doctor before using it if you're on any kind of blood pressure medicines.

Nope, no BP meds. Healthy as an ox. LOL
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Or you could cut out the added salt you shake on your food and keep your pretzles. At least you know the content of those.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    well, I am taking things a little slow, first I want to make exercise a habit and consume fewer calories. I am anemic so I track my iron and I am allergic whey so I track my calcium. Once I get the calories under control, and exercise is more of a habit, then I will work on my fat, sodium and sugar intake. So much to do to make a healthy you! I wish you luck, I, too, have an incredible love for salt. there was a time when I would lick it right out of my hand, or dig the salt out from the bottom of the pretzel bag! I am thisclose to stepping onto the next goal of watching fat sugar and salt, so if you figure out something that really helps, let me know please! I sure feel your pain! I prefer something salty any time over something sweet!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I find that squeezing a lemon wedge over my food gives it a yummy kick without all the sodium.
  • edorice
    Options
    Or you could cut out the added salt you shake on your food and keep your pretzles. At least you know the content of those.

Some of it has turned into a mindless habit.