Need Support and Encouragement

Options
I am brand new to this site. I am 265lbs looking to eventually be 130lbs. I was in great shape 6yrs ago, but have really let myself go after getting married and having a baby. My husband is overweight as well, but shows no interest in actually loosing the weight so it makes it really difficult to really commit and stay on track.

Lately my self esteem has really dropped because I know what I used to look like and what I used to be capable of. I really want to get that back. I don't have many friends out here in the real world and none that are trying to really loose weight and be healthy again. I think this site will help me a lot, but I was wondering if anyone out there might be trying to loose a significant amount weight as well? Maybe we can be there for each other along the way?

Replies

• ktwin1
    ktwin1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Kelly. I have been on a weightloss journey for a while now and am still wanting to lose some more. Like you, I was all alone in it. I chose to do it without telling anyone because if I told someone and i failed then they would know. But if I didn't tell anyone and I failed then only I would know-i know that is crazy but I was able to make it for a little while. However, i would have quit by now if it wasn't for my support and accountability group online. After I lost what I wanted to lose for the most part, I started a FB accountability group for people like me who wanted to lose weight and needed to be able to ask questions, stay motivated, and get help and support. It is a closed group so no one sees what is being said except those in the group. It is great ! I never feel alone in my journey and never feel judged. They are always there for me. I would love to be your friend and help you stay motivated too. Why are you wanting to lose 130lbs? What plan do you have in place to help you do it? Have you talked to your husband about supporting you even if he doesn't want to do it right now?
  • julietucker54
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Julie. I just downloaded the my fitness pal app today hoping for help and support during my weight loss journey. I currently weigh 275lbs. Im 41 years old and have diabetes so I have to do this. My goal is to lose 100 lbs which is a lot but after all the yo yo dieting Ive done in the past, I feel I can stick with it this time. I saw your post and I too needed some support and encouragement so I understand what youre going through. I wish you lots of luck!!
  • julietucker54
    Options
    Hi Kelly. What is your FB group? Id like to join!
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you. I think alot of us struggle with this. We have this image of what we once looked like, and think happiness cannot be achieved until we reach that weight again. But let me tell you, if you don't love yourself at this weight, there is a chance that you will continue finding things to be unhappy about at your ideal weight as well.

Recently, I accepted myself at my current weight. I am 80 pounds over what I weighed in my 20s, and I have beaten myself over it for years. My self-esteem suffered horribly as I struggled to lose the weight and failed. But one day recently, I said, "I accept that I may be this weight for a long time to come. Maybe forever." It was liberating. I literally let myself of the hook.

But that doesn't mean I gave up on getting healthier. Without all that pressure, I don't feel so rushed to lose weight. I'm taking things slowly. I can just feel it that I am going to succeed at getting healthier.

Here is what is working for me so far:

For the next 3 weeks, your only goal will be to track your food. It doesn't matter what you eat, just track. During the first 3 weeks, you don't have to worry about what you eat or if you stick to the calorie goal. As long as you are tracking, you are doing good.

There are days where I can been 1500 calories over my goal (yikes!), but I still tracked. The purpose of this period is simply to get you in the healthy habit of tracking your food.

If you are like me, you will find that the longer you track, the more you actually want to hit your calorie goal. It becomes like a numbers game.

At the end of 3 weeks, you can add another "healthy habit" to your list. Just one. It could be "I will eat within my calorie goal at least 6 days out of the week." Or something else.

It may seem frustrating to start slowly, particularly if you are putting alot of pressure on yourself to lose weight. I had to force myself to relax and stop pressuring myself. I like tracking as a first goal because it produces an immediate sense of control and accomplishment but is pretty easy to do.

Keep us updated!

Casey
  • ktwin1
    ktwin1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie,
    I love your pic. I love animals too. :-)
    You certainly have a lot of motivation to commit to a change. I went through a similar situation. So I totally get it.
    I am 47 and last year decided to make a change in my life with regards to my weight and within 60 days I lost 20 lbs and 18".
    It made me feel so much better.
    I would love to have you join the group.
    I think I need to friend you on Facebook to in order to add you, so if you want to send me your profile info I will find you
    and send you a friend request & go from there. So what makes you interested in joining the group?

Kelly