Maintaining

Options
Hello there.

So a question about maintaining & it may be stupid, so bare with me.

I want to lose 3-5 more lbs. When I hit this goal, do I up my calories to maintain it (& by how much?) or keep my deficit? If I keep doing the same deficit, do I eventually plateau?

Right now I am 5'2" at 123 lbs. I'm very muscular & built, though. I want to be around 118.

On average, I eat ~1,000 calories a day. Yes- I know that's too low, but I get full easily.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You need to eat more to maintain. If you eat the same number of CALORIES, you will eventually plateau. If you maintain your deficit, you'll continue to lose until you disappear... and that might be awkward. :P
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    And because it HAS to be said - you need more than 1000 calories a day to live. 1000 calories is more than most people burn even if they do absolutely nothing all day. You're not giving your body enough fuel to function.
  • Dylllie
    Dylllie Posts: 72
    Options
    And because it HAS to be said - you need more than 1000 calories a day to live. 1000 calories is more than most people burn even if they do absolutely nothing all day. You're not giving your body enough fuel to function.

Sigh, I know. I'm really bad about it, though. I get full and don't want to feel yuck.

Plus, since I never get exhausted and can make it through my tough exercises with out needing to stop, I haven't really noticed any negative side effects, which doesn't give me motivation to eat more haha. Sometimes I'm restless, but that's about it.

But thank you very much for the answer above!!
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The only response that I have is what most people are going to say. You need to eat more, especially if you're exercising.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Sigh, I know. I'm really bad about it, though. I get full and don't want to feel yuck.

Plus, since I never get exhausted and can make it through my tough exercises with out needing to stop, I haven't really noticed any negative side effects, which doesn't give me motivation to eat more haha. Sometimes I'm restless, but that's about it.

But thank you very much for the answer above!!

Try incorporating some calorie dense foods into your diet now. It will help make your transition into maintenance easier when you reach your goals. Nuts, nut butter, full fat dairy, ice cream, Greek yogurt, cheese, full calorie sauces, dressings and condiments, avocado, granola, dark chocolate, protein shakes, smoothies and bars, etc.