Subway, good or bad?

Options
I know it's better to stick to home made sandwiches, but sometimes I'll be out for most of the day, and I'll want Subway because it's the cheapest and in my opinion the more worthwhile food I can eat, but recently I've been told I should avoid Subway completely because of certain things they use in their bread and meats. I'd rather not believe the people who have told me before, because they've given me false information before. So if anyone can tell me what I should believe it would help. Thanks

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't think Subway would be any worse for you than making a sandwich at home with store bought bread and deli lunch meat, nutrition wise. I tend to find that Subway doesn't have much staying power for me, but then, I like a lot of protein if I eat a sandwich. Check out Subway's website - they have a nutrition calculator and you can customize your sandwich to figure out what will fit with your needs.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I won't tell you what you should get...becuase honestly it should come down to what you want to get. I will tell you what I get....if that helps.

6 inch Turkey Flatbread with pepper jack, spinach, red onions, cucumbers, pickles, oil/vinegar. Comes out to roughly 380 calories...give or take depending on the sandwich maker.

On the Subway website they have a sandwich builder that will give you a ballpark calorie count of whatever sandwich you want to create.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's mainly people who fear processed food. Which is dumb.
    A lot of subway sandwiches have a lot of protein which is good. I go there a few times per month. I usually get the oven roasted chicken.
    Just go on the website and look up the nutritional info. The sweet onion sauce is a tasty low calorie option too just FYI
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i don't think you have to worry about it. if there is something 'bad' in subway bread, its not something that will stall your weight loss, but there is always this or that ingredient that is crucified as a carcinogen, maybe its something like that.

the only thing i might recomend is that you don't ask them to put mayo or honey mustard or whatever on the sub. only because you really have no controll over what they put on it, and to some 'sandwich artisans', a little might mean several huge globs lol.

if possible you can put your own topping on and you would have total control.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I know it's better to stick to home made sandwiches,
    If you're using store-bought bread and deli meats for your home-made sandwiches, there is really no difference in nutrition between what you make at home and a similar sandwich you'd have made at Subway.
    It's mainly people who fear processed food. Which is dumb.
    The evidence is pretty-clear that processed meats are most-certainly linked to medical health issues. Yes, it's epidemiological evidence, yes it's not conclusive proof - but to ignore it completely is what would be "dumb".

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/processed-meats-unprocessed-heart-disease-diabetes/
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20130306/processed-meat-may-play-a-part-in-early-death-study
    http://www.voanews.com/content/study-processed-meat-raises-colorectal-cancer-risk/1895891.html
    http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/248644/processed-meats-declared-too-dangerous-human-consumption
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just ate there. Their bread, made from the same ingredients used to make yoga mats, was delicious! Don't worry about it. I haven't turned into a yoga mat, so you shouldn't either.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I know it's better to stick to home made sandwiches, but sometimes I'll be out for most of the day, and I'll want Subway because it's the cheapest and in my opinion the more worthwhile food I can eat, but recently I've been told I should avoid Subway completely because of certain things they use in their bread and meats. I'd rather not believe the people who have told me before, because they've given me false information before. So if anyone can tell me what I should believe it would help. Thanks
    Nothing wrong with subway whatsoever.

Just stay away from their non healthy subs and you will be fine.
    Great way to get a ton of veggies really for a fair price I think.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    i don't think you have to worry about it. if there is something 'bad' in subway bread, its not something that will stall your weight loss, but there is always this or that ingredient that is crucified as a carcinogen, maybe its something like that.

the only thing i might recomend is that you don't ask them to put mayo or honey mustard or whatever on the sub. only because you really have no controll over what they put on it, and to some 'sandwich artisans', a little might mean several huge globs lol.

Not exactly. They typically use those squeeze containers and a normal amount is three lines. You can tell them one line only, or two, and they'll know what you're asking them for. I like to get olive oil on mine, so I have to be specific about the one line only or it can get calorific in a hurry.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I just ate there. Their bread, made from the same ingredients used to make yoga mats, was delicious! Don't worry about it. I haven't turned into a yoga mat, so you shouldn't either.

I've heard this before and always wondered why nobody ever gets pissed that their yoga mats are being made from bread ingredients.
  • REDUX_o01
    REDUX_o01 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bottom line: Subway's' good. Just don't overdo it with the toppings and dressings. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Not exactly. They typically use those squeeze containers and a normal amount is three lines. You can tell them one line only, or two, and they'll know what you're asking them for. I like to get olive oil on mine, so I have to be specific about the one line only or it can get calorific in a hurry.

what if you wanted a dotted line? could you ask for that? smiley face?
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Every time a Subway thread comes up, I just really want Subway.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I manage a Subway. Most have or should have nutrition pamphlets available to you. Subway has reformulated the bread so there isn't a big concern about that issue any longer. Staying away from sauces or asking for them on the side is an excellent option. Also, if you choose all of the fresh veggies on a kid's size sub you consume 1 full serving of veggies, if it's a 6 inch that you are enjoying it is 2 full servings and would be 4 full servings for a footlong. If you're watching your carbs you can ask for your sandwich artist to take out some of the bread from the middle.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options

If you ask in my Subway ... Yes!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: Subway's' good. Just don't overdo it with the toppings and dressings. :)
    with you on the sauces....but piiiiile on the veggies!

I almost always opt out of the cheese.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Phenomenal answer!
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Every time a Subway thread comes up, I just really want Subway.

Me too!!!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    No food is good or bad. The first step is to stop demonizing foods.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

Dude seriously made me a flower out of mayo. Did a pretty danged good job too. Made it taste much better.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As long as you make good choices, I don't think it's bad.

I personally don't eat there, because for some reason I gain a lot of water weight when I do and I feel really bloated. Just with whole wheat, turkey, veggies. Plus I don't think it tastes all that great!