Shape asked woman to cover up....

Options
2»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've only read Shape magazine once, and I didn't like it. I'm not surprised by this magazine's refusal to publish her picture either.

The magazine's website currently has fluff like "What Does the Perfect Woman Look Like?" and pre-wedding tips from Kim Kardashian. I wasn't in much danger of ever buying this magazine, but now I definitely won't.

Putting the question"what does the perfect woman look like?" and the name Kim Kardashian in the same sentence makes my head want to explode.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    This is the reality of a huge weight loss, what better magazine to show this transformation? I have been a fan of shape magazine, but lately have been really disappointed by their photo shopping, and now this. Most real women (as opposed to celebrity women) that have a large weight loss can not afford cosmetic surgery to remove the loose skin, so this is their reality, and should be discussed and shown in a fitness magazine.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Magazines are not in business to sell reality.

Exactly. Hats off to this woman and her success, but Shape is trying to sell magazines and make money just like anyone else.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    What a badass. If social media serves one positive purpose, it's all of us getting closer to the truth. I'm really excited for the next generation. It's getting harder and harder to brainwash us. :smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    This topic was posted yesterday:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1280944-woman-with-loose-skin-asked-to-cover-up?page=1

Honestly, I still don't see many/recent photos of women in the success section wearing bikinis. Even if it is a recent policy change, if they say it's their policy, abide by it or don't, but move on.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1280944-woman-with-loose-skin-asked-to-cover-up?page=1

Honestly, I still don't see many/recent photos of women in the success section wearing bikinis. Even if it is a recent policy change, if they say it's their policy, abide by it or don't, but move on.

And your point is? If you don't want to discuss the topic again then move on.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    Even if it is a recent policy change, if they say it's their policy, abide by it or don't, but move on.

What successful people have always said throughout history when they're trying to make a difference for women...
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I saw this several times on FB and that's so sad...her pic is very shocking, but that is sometimes the reality of weight loss for someone who is obese. It happens to people, but they are no less deserving to be congratulated for losing the weight. Her weight loss was awesome.

Magazines and the fitness industry are so effing shady. Like someone mentioned before, they want to sell fantasy. They contribute to too many ED's in young people everywhere.

This stupid In Shape/Shape magazine is one of the worsts. Shame on them for not sharing this woman's story. It was just too real for them, and they couldn't handle it.

How about publishing the story and offering suggestions on how to help instead? Idiots
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options

And your point is? If you don't want to discuss the topic again then move on.

Maybe their point was simply to let people know that there are also opinions on the subject in another thread?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I rarely read these magazines unless I am stuck in a waiting room somewhere. They give decent tips, but they oversimplify the weight loss process and give people unrealistic expectations. I am sure that this is the exact point that this woman is trying to make, and she is right. Unfortunately, many people love to buy into the fantasy, and sales would probably plummet if the public was shown the cold, hard truth.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Last night my friend forwarded me this link via text. I read it and then circled back around to it this morning. Honestly, I just realized within the past few months how much photoshopping magazines do and it irritates me to no end - especially fitness magazines. This woman lost 170 pounds and was asked to be featured in Shape magazine. However, the editors asked her to only submit a picture with a shirt on - you will see photos in the article.

http://www.thegloss.com/2014/05/06/beauty/shape-asks-brooke-birmingham-cover-loose-skin/

I lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off. I have a small amount of excess skin that, when I get down another 5 or so pounds, I have no problem with. Like the woman in the article, I have struggled and fought and won my own battle with my weight. Like her, I am not ashamed of what I was but proud of what I was able to accomplish.

This just pisses me off a lot. Like saying that 170 pound loss is only good enough if you have the "perfect" after body. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Please don't harsh on photoshopping, otherwise Kate Hudson would look like...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2ntbwzU1tKIdR4S48Jb9zxEyxfZ1QmZnyrUh2kXtojeF9pVNUaQ

.o0O(this may not be helping my plan to have Kate Hudson secretly FR me but I just can't help it.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think Shape missed a fabulous opportunity to discuss the reality of excess skin, how she feels about it, can it be prevented and what some of the options are for dealing with it.

^real talk. ^this.

I feel like as a magazine about shape and women there were so many topics that could have sprung from such an honest tutorial. different weight loss methods. the results they yield. creams versus surgery. what it feels like. fast weight loss versus slow. macro's intake during loss. muscle use during loss. so many things.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You will see mine in a bikini...feel better?

As for the OP they did say it was their policy for "normal" people but not "Fitness experts" they get to pose in skimpy clothing but of course those women look like fitness experts.

Shape has allienated a whole section of the population, it's trending, it's on HLN...it's every where..

Oh and their website stinks...I had to google images to check their success stories.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Magazines are not in business to sell reality.

Exactly. Hats off to this woman and her success, but Shape is trying to sell magazines and make money just like anyone else.

I understand this and understand that they need to make money but they, in my opinion, are a magazine that tries to present themself to "real" women. I'm sure all businesses do this kind of stuff in one way or another but when they get caught, like this, it really screws with their reputation which hurts them
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The woman is this article is from my hometown. She made the best decision ever!!!!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What's a magazine?